Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmother

THE JOURNEY for the PLAN has finally been realized (long)

Love stone homes
7 years ago

New Home Plan

The creation of our awesome new home plan has been finalized.

Just some background Insight. This was a long fraught journey. The said sojourn began a few years ago as DH is retiring and we wanted to relocate closer to kids and grand babies.

Thus the quest for lot and home plan began. We purchased stupidly expensive house plan books from big box stores, took out plan books from libraries and looked at numerous online plans. We even went to the extent of posting some here for you, dear houzzers, to review and critique. By gosh did you guys critique!

None of the plans chosen were right, none met our needs. Yup, we even thought we could tweeq, twiddle, cut and paste, and create our own plan to plop on our land.

The message from dear houzzers, CP, Mark, JDS was clear "GET PRO HELP". Some of you even suggested that I contact pros on this forum. However, we live in Canada, so we could not see how that would work. DH was adamant that price tags for a design were exorbitant and out of the question. We contacted local pros, no luck. They could not see our vision, kept showing us their homes and plans. None worked. And DH was proven right, ridiculous fees. I was not designing the Taj Mahal, after all!.

Discouragement, frustration set in. DH, who can't draw stick people, decided to draw up his own plans. But, wait, how do we draw the stairs, where does the kitchen go.? After many hard fought discussions and negotiations with DH, we took a leap of faith.

And here SHE is, in all her glory...

Yes your thoughts, comments, suggestions are more than welcome. In the end we will have the most perfect house in Canada, or at least in our end of the world. !!(:

In the end, thank you so much ARG...here she goes...by the way, the cooktop does not belong on the island. Lol.

Comments (48)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

It looks great! I like the hall that goes the length of the back of the house - perfect - no traffic patterns going through rooms that are already busy or where one doesn't want traffic.

Love stone homes thanked Anglophilia
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 years ago

Congratulations! :-)

Love stone homes thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Anglo, thank you so much...we like it t too and are just in process of digesting it all.

virgil, thank you...I love reading your comments

ARG....well, mayb, on 2nd thought...back to the drawing board...how do we fit this on a 65' wide lot lol....and all that snow will easily fall off that roof. Lol

• bpath
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love how the hallways serve multiple purposes: entry to the house, transition to the spaces, buffers for functional necessities like laundry, powder, and pantry, passage to the bedrooms, and privacy from the side and front. And the passage to the bedrooms, which could have been a tunnel, widens out along the way for the kitchen and stairs, the guest bedrooms (with high windows opposite, love that).

i like how the front and service entries relate to each other both inside and out. So many plans pay no attention to that.

That is a just-right-sized master bedroom! I wonder, though, if the bath towel is in reach when you step out of the shower? And, um, when you are sitting up in bed, do you see the toilet? Ensuites can be so tricky, can't they!

I'm not sure I see the top of the basement steps?

Do you think you will build the study?

It's going to be great!

Love stone homes thanked bpath
  • Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    • Just for added info...the lot faces south, yeah, I know...not good especially in our end of the world where the sun, is quite shy and does not Show herself often, does she even exist? The allowable width to build upon is 65'. So we needed to be creative in the design. We debated about the garage a lot too...but followed the wisdom of our pro.
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Congrats on great use of space on an infill lot. See? It can be done.

I really like the tv wall and how it works with the fireplace wall.

One question and one thought.

How often will the guest bedroom next to your bedroom be occupied with guests or will it be used more as an office or away room? I ask because the beds butt up against the same wall as your bed. Once in a blue moon is no problem but frequently I'd be looking for another solution. I'm sure thought that you, your DH and Doug really thought it through and am just playing devil's advocate.

One other thought. Based on where you are, I might consider extending the roof over the stairway to the basement on the right side of the house? Is that feasible or a dumb idea because it would block light from that side?

Love that all bedrooms have access to the backyard.

Love stone homes thanked cpartist
  • bpath
    7 years ago

That's an outside stair to the basement? I'm sure there is a reason for it, just curious.

Love stone homes thanked bpath
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Just for added info...the lot faces south, yeah, I know...not good especially in our end of the world where the sun, is quite shy and does not Show herself often, does she even exist?

Based on your lot configurations and limitation, I think it's a masterful solution to the problems you had. And no stock plan would have been able to give you this solution.

As for the towel, my guess is the wall between tub and shower will be wide enough for at least a hook to hang a towel and/or robe. And from the way it looks, the vanity will block the toilet from view.

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pbathome. Hi, thank you for your thoughts. About the toilet, lol, up here in the north, we don't ever enclose the toilet in a separate room. Must be an American thing. The toilet is around a corner. As for the study, not sure just yet. Depends on $$ As for outside stairs, this was because we were going to have a wood stove in the basement and felt that an extra outside entry would be useful for carrying in the wood. This is under consideration as well.

hey CP, how's your build coming? We love it, and no way could we find a plan like this. Of interest, this is not an infill. The lot is 100x700, so 1.6 acres, but with 32' setbacks on the width. Re bedrooms, guest rooms won't be used a whole lot. And we can add xtra insulation for sound reduction. The tv/fireplace will be awesome...we are still looking at the whole plan and considering very minor changes...hooks will be hung somewhere for towels. But in my home, they somehow find themselves a home on the floor. Sheesh!,,

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Enclosed toilets are an American thing. LOL

hey CP, how's your build coming?

We have exterior first floor walls and it feels great!

We love it, and no way could we find a plan like this. Of interest, this is not an infill. The lot is 100x700, so 1.6 acres, but with 32' setbacks on the width.

Ah, so long and narrow. Even better the way it's been designed.

Re bedrooms, guest rooms won't be used a whole lot. And we can add xtra insulation for sound reduction.

I know in our condo we had a third bedroom with the same thing where the wall between the guest room and master butted up. We used the guest room as my studio and in the 6 years we lived there, we had one guest stay on the pull out sofa in my studio, so I hear you.

The tv/fireplace will be awesome...we are still looking at the whole plan and considering very minor changes...hooks will be hung somewhere for towels. But in my home, they somehow find themselves a home on the floor. Sheesh!,,

LOL. Did you clone my hubby?

• 07Cooper
    7 years ago

PG love the plan. ARG did a fabulous job. I have a 100x400 lot but thankfully only have 10ft setbacks on the sides. However, I too cannot find a plan online that works for me so have resorted to contacting an architect. I am hoping I will be as happy as you seem to be with ARG's plan. Maybe I should just contact him lol.

Love stone homes thanked 07Cooper
  • Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cp.... re cloning hubby, no kidding eh! All the same....

ilmgirl...yes so many pros on this forum, such generous input and advice by them as well . My strong recommendation is to definitely make contact with any one of them. You won't regret it, i promise Cheers!

• BK Iowa
    7 years ago

PG - looks great! It does seem like you ended up changing the overall layout quite a bit, but I think it really turned out well. The exterior looks amazing. Must be an American thing on the seperate toilet area, that is a deal breaker for us (we actually decided against a house for this very reason LOL).

And I was also thinking about the bedrooms/beds being back to back. I as a guest I would be somewhat hesitant with that, but if most of your guests are family, hopefully they can utilize the first bedroom most times, then it will most likely be no issue.

Love stone homes thanked BK Iowa
  • Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

BK... the toilet in its own room, I never heard of that till I lived in Boise. It was very unique and strange to me, lol. But I got used to it, as they say, when in Rome....as for the bedrooms, we will put sound barrier between them for sure. And it's mostly family. (: cheers

• just_janni
    7 years ago

This is a fun plan, using all available lot space, customized for you. Congrats - this will make your home truly yours.

Love stone homes thanked just_janni
  • kayce03
    7 years ago

Oh, I love it! Great work, ARG.

Love stone homes thanked kayce03
  • One Devoted Dame
    7 years ago

Very cute house!

My obsession with... how does ARG phrase it... "outboard" kitchens?... I feel like I'm talking about boat motors or something... lol... Made me the slightest bit sad over an interior kitchen, but wow that pantry!!!

Will you be lining your approach with trees, like that?

So tell us, what were the best parts about working with a design pro? What was the most challenging? What did you learn about yourself? Would you consider yourself a good client? :-D If so, give me tips, 'cause I want to be The Most Awesome Client Ever™.

Love stone homes thanked One Devoted Dame
  • Beth
    7 years ago

This is really cool--incredibly exciting!

Isn't ARG great? :-)

Love stone homes thanked Beth
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

ARG is wonderful! Great design highlighting that lot.

Re toilet room inside bathroom... even though I am in the US, I've only been a guest in one home that had this. So, I did what nature beckoned... and then was like: where's the sink? Oh, put hand on door knob to exit to bathroom proper, to go clean up?

The next generation of these things will have a toilet AND a sink in their own private stall.

Love stone homes thanked artemis_ma
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 years ago

I have always liked designs that have rhyme and reason, much like a poem. Another sonnet by ARG.

Love stone homes thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

So, I did what nature beckoned... and then was like: where's the sink? Oh, put hand on door knob to exit to bathroom proper, to go clean up?

That's why in my toilet closet I won't have door handles but a swinging door with push plates which is what I had in my condo (the swinging door). Worked great because when you came out of the toilet, you just pushed against the door with your body. No touching.

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@,janicone..kaycee...Beth...Mark..thank you for the compliments. We love the design, and feel that it works well given the constraints of our lot. Mark, I love your humour.

@Artrmis..."the next generation will have 2 of these things" Well, of course, why not have clean up areas in a washroom...makes sense, but adds extra cost, space etc. in my humble opinion not worth it. (:

@Cp...swinging doors sounds neat too. You know when we first moved down south, one of our kids asked the teacher where the " washroom" was. She had no clue what that meant. With further explanation or detail, she replied 'oh your mean restroom'. She added, that washroom was where you take a bath...lol. I also ran into this difference in word usage...just too funny.

@Onedevoted dame said: "So tell us, what were the best parts about working with a design pro? What was the most challenging? What did you learn about yourself? Would you consider yourself a good client? :-D If so, give me tips, 'cause I want to be The Most Awesome Client Ever"

Working with ARG was very easy...DH laughs and said, he pulled the design from (DH) head, hehe..ya right! ..it was my idea which I learned from reading on this forum. And I read this forum for over a year. In fact, I got addicted to it. Lol. And I was very very dubious about this forum, even questioned if you guys were all real people. I still question why everyone shares so much wisdom and advice. It's just so awesome and helpful.! The humour is also priceless.

Initially, we gave ARG our needs list. DH wanted to give him the 'plan' he drew up.' He argued that it would save time, and therefore $$$ (for fun I posted it below). I won that battle and convinced the other half to let ARG do his job. And boy did he do a fine job. From Only reading my needs list ARG nailed it. He also somehow managed to read DHs mind.

We waited another 2 weeks with great anticipation and excitement..ARG even called early letting us know he had finished the concept and were we both available to discuss? . Nope, hubby was away.): In the end, he delivered what is now posted. At this point, we are mulling things over to get stuff fine tuned.

ARG encouraged us to post the plan and so we did. For interest sake, I am posting the plan as drawn by ARG and by Husband ...remember, ARG is just now seeing our original design.

Daves drawing below

Uncanny isn't it???

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 years ago

ARG must have taken that mind reading class too.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Very nice. I love all of the light on the side.

Love stone homes thanked ILoveRed
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 years ago

Now that you mention it, I think I know another reason why I like ARG's design.

Another example of great minds traveling in the same circles.

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mark..."ARG must have taken that mind reading class too." We just need to ask him...lol.

ILovered....thank you. I also like the light.

Hey everyone, I'm going to throw this thought out for your opinions. I would love to get that south light into the kitchen. So.. I am thinking about removing the upper wall on the stove side of the kitchen. And Placing the stove on the left side or pantry side of the kitchen. Yes we will see the stairs and front entryway..but that may be ok...ideas, suggestions. Bad idea..good idea? Thank you so much!!!!

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ Mark absolutely amazing...now you must have read ARG mind..congrats on passing the mind reading course. Lol

• One Devoted Dame
    7 years ago

Post in Kitchens. :-)

I hesitate to offer ideas, since mine are coming from a complete amateur, but I like the idea of opening up the kitchen somehow, as long as it's not totally visible from the entry. Unless you keep an awesome kitchen. Mine is always a mess, lol.

I'm enamored of primitive "working parts" type stuff, and I'm kinda crazy, but I like the thought of having cut-outs/openings in the wall that can be shuttered closed. But that might be totally weird for your style.

(I'd also love a manual rope-and-pulley dumbwaiter with a platform and a basket for moving things between floors, to let you know just how backward I am, lol. So don't listen to me!!!)

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi OneDevoted...yup it's in the kitchen forum now...But honestly, I am passed worrying what my house looks like...I'm not a slob but not super neat and picky. After all, I'm not the "Queen of Sheba" and if she came to visit, she better like a messy house. Lol.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

My thought was to flip the kitchen and dining room. This way you'd have light coming from the living room and from the hall on the right. I always feel that a dining room doesn't necessarily need to be opened to the outdoors since the idea is you sit down and hopefully look at your dining companions vs the great outdoors.

Then if you want more light, instead of opening up the walls completely, how about some higher "transom" type windows in what would then be the dining room. They could even be some sort of stained glass with clear or pebbled glass windows.

• Naf_Naf
    7 years ago

I love the aesthetics.

I do not like a kitchen without a window.

Love stone homes thanked Naf_Naf
  • One Devoted Dame
    7 years ago

*sheepishly raises hand*

That... that up there, who CP is referring to, yep, that's probably me, lol. I am She Who Is Forever Scarred Because Her 1-1.5 Room Deep House Has A Dark Kitchen, Despite The Light-Filled, South-Facing Dining Room Being Less Than 14 Feet Away.

*hides in shame*

[Edited to add: Apparently, this thread changed a bit while I wasn't looking, lol, so now this comment makes no sense at all. Oh, well, I'm too vain to delete it, so latecomers can just think I'm crazy!]

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@CP said; My thought was to flip the kitchen and dining room. This way you'd have light coming from the living room and from the hall on the right.

Thank you for not only your suggestions but taking the time to do the drawing. wish I could be so computer savvy! We thought a lot about this layout, but decided against it. In fact, if you look at DH initial plan, this is where we put the kitchen. I love your passion for this forum and how much you try to help others.

Nafnaf...I currently have a large south window over my sink, and you know. It's constantly dirty from water splatters etc. Lol. I appreciate your thoughts.

Hi onedevotedame...you are too cute, and nothing to be sheepish about. You have a lot of good comments to make and give food for thought. Houses are such fun.

ARG...thank you so much for all your effort and time on this home...(:

• One Devoted Dame
    7 years ago

Aaaaw, thanks, PG! :-)

I am totally sitting over here, completely jealous, that you'll be living in an ARG Original™. Please keep us updated in a separate thread (like CPartist does, rather than just posting to the monthly Progress thread)!

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey one devotedame...aren't the pros, on this forum awesome. we are all so lucky to have such a wide breadth of experience and wisdom. And of course, there are those like CP and yourself who have a keen eye and an understanding of how plans on paper, actually live like. It will be quite awhile, like 2 yrs, before we start the build. The goal this summer is to get sceptic and perhaps well put in.

Cheers Paula

• One Devoted Dame
    7 years ago

2 years? Oh, I plan to still be here! ;-)

(Did I just hear a collective groan from the forum??? lol)

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Just to note to CP, I like how you decided to do your hidden toilet in your build.

That's why in my toilet closet I won't have door handles but a swinging door with push plates which is what I had in my condo (the swinging door). Worked great because when you came out of the toilet, you just pushed against the door with your body. No touching.

Love stone homes thanked artemis_ma
  • Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi again, one devoteddame. Awe thank you, I'll stick around, observe and hopefully learn.

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Quick plan update...to those who really really like kitchen windows. The brilliant, creative minds came forth to find a solution. The sink and range will be switched around. The range will go on the pantry side wall, we will put in a prep sink in the island, and perhaps relocate the fridge to the pantry side wall. Most of the cabinets over the sink will be removed, (I only have 2 upper cabinets in my current home, and new the pantry will be huge) This will allow nice sight lines. !! (: See examples below....

paula_gubbels's ideas · More Info

• One Devoted Dame
    7 years ago

Love it, PG. :-) I don't care for upper cabinets, anyway (I'm totally short and can't reach anything on the back of the second shelf, plus I think they make kitchens look kinda visually cluttered) so anything that reduces/eliminates upper cabs is awesome in my book.

• Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Awe thanks one devoteddame.!, I plan to have tones of drawers, as I do now. Dishes, spices and of course pots, pans, bakeware work really well in them. The kitchen is very versatile so it's easy to flip things I.e. Appliances around. Im a pretty basic person, no need for subzero, Miele etc. just standard GE or kenmore. Lol. Cheers

• Beth
    7 years ago

Now I have to go find the kitchen thread again--I want to read what they came up with!

Love stone homes thanked Beth
  • PRO
    HVAC Consulting
    7 years ago

Actually the hunt for the right floor plan is easy. Wait until you try getting HVAC pricing. Just remember without plans and specs for the bidders you are leaving yourself wide open.

Love stone homes thanked HVAC Consulting
  • Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hvac said "Actually the hunt for the right floor plan is easy. Wait until you try getting HVAC pricing. Just remember without plans and specs for the bidders you are leaving yourself wide open."

Can't wait for this nightmare to begin. Any tips on this aspect? Seems like integrity and trust are key components.

• PRO
    HVAC Consulting
    7 years ago

Level the playing field. Make all your bidders quote the same. Have the.load calcs done, layout and suggested specs in writing. Weeds the contractors out pretty quickly.

Love stone homes thanked HVAC Consulting
  • arialvetica
    7 years ago

What a beautiful home! I hope you'll post pictures of the finished product on this thread when the time comes!

Love stone homes thanked arialvetica
  • Love stone homes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Arialvetica...thank you for the compliment. We are very excited. We are a few years away from starting, however. Our next step is to get construction drawings done, then find a builder and put in infrastructure, i.e. Sceptic, well etc.