Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avaloncj

CJ Sebert
13 years ago
This is the great room in our new house. How can we give the wet bar area an updated look? We are open to removing the sink.

Comments (14)

• stlogan
    13 years ago
    Maybe remove the mirrors and paint the wall a contrasting color (to the wall paint) and then re-install wood shelves? Do you want to use it as a bar?
  • PRO
    revitalized habitats
    13 years ago
    I've seen these a lot...they always look like an afterthought, like they don't belong. I would re-frame this area so that it doesn't look like it is in a former closet (is it?) and is more a part of the room. If you "pull" the bar into the room, you can put some cabinets above, too. If you don't want the sink, cap off the plumbing, update the countertop with a surplus piece of really cool granite (which you should do even if you keep the sink), and open up the area below and put in a fridge or ice maker. The mirrors & glass shelves need to go - they're dated.
  • PRO
    revitalized habitats
    13 years ago
    OR you can completely remove the bar and put in a custom-made cabinet like we did for a customer (via revitalized habitats)
  • hislala
    13 years ago
    All you Really need to do is remove the mirror. Paint the cabinet and the back wall to match each other--but Not to match the fireplace Or the read wall. (Or install a wine fridge in place of the cabs!)

Take down the vases and the photos--declutter a bit--and it will look Mahvelous! And then we will come over for martinis!
  • CJ Sebert
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all the great tips! It is very dated and I totally agree the mirrors have to go. We've just moved and temporarily stuck a bunch of stuff there. It probably was a closet before now that you mention it.
    I like the idea of pulling it out into the room more and painting the cabinets and back the same color to give it a more cohesive look.
    Thanks again, I can't wait to take down the hideous shelves and mirror!
  • sehrawatrajeev
    12 years ago
    Remove the mirror, thicker shelves with an inch gap behind, put some accent light on each one on the rear...so they look like floating shelves. Remove the sink, plug off the plumbing , cover it with a corian counter top extending in the front in line anf flush with the wall. Replace the hideous cabinet doors with some clean front sliders or pull out shelves.
  • Carmen Hammons
    12 years ago
    I think it would look interesting to tear out the wall above the existing bar and hang a light fixture. Add a dimmer switch for the lighting, glass shelves and cabinet refacing or just paint and add nice pulls/handles. Voila!
  • Chrystie Scott
    12 years ago
    I'm with carmenhammons; look into tearing out the surrounding wall and completing the new taller space with the same surface as the cabinets below. A fabulous pendant or two sconces are critical.
  • NOrma Remick
    12 years ago
    Wet bars can be tricky to do but fun! First, tear out the wall in fron that over laps the bar. Not the part above the bar, just the side part. Get all of the unnecessary stuff out of there and keep it out. It's just clutter. Next, either remove the mirrors or antique them (although I'm all for removing them.) If you remove them paint ther interior a contrasting color such as black, chocolate brown or even white. Remove the countertop and use a stone (natural or man made) material with either a built in sink or something lux-looking such as hammered copper. Remove the doors below and use one that have a flat front, maybe you could use long sleek handles...very modern looking ones with NO decoration on them. Paint the lower half and the area above the bar in a color that matchs the interior of the bar. Don't remove the sink and don't build it out further into the room. Why? The sink will come in handy (fill it with ice and stick wine bottles in it for parties) and unless you throw a lot of celebrations, it will just take up room, become cluttered with junk and you'll wish you hadn't bothered with the expense and work of building it out. BTW, your bar is too small to display photos, vases and other items that are not bar related. Good luck
  • PRO
    robin schreiber
    12 years ago
    First, it has too many things on shelves--take out 85 %. Leave the mirror. If you want it as a bar, keep the sink and reface the cabinet doors to extend to the end in a warm wood (currently matches the fireplace too much). Keep the black counter but update the sink and faucet.
  • PRO
    robin schreiber
    12 years ago
    Forgot to say get new shelving--as well....
  • Gail
    12 years ago
    Funny, I would leave the mirrors and just paint the cabinet black add updated handles, maybe brushed nickle.
  • lessalt
    12 years ago
    Your wet bar is similar to the one in my 80s home. We use ours a lot in entertaining so I would take anything bar related out and do as Galynn suggested, paint the cabinet and add updated handles. Of course, others had great suggestions for a complete revamp but it depends what you want the space to function as.
  • Liz Castle
    12 years ago
    It does look like it was once a closet. I would open up the front and make ithe opening at least 1' taller. I would finish the base in a dark color to blend to countertop and then install recessed lighting and glass shelves.