Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldunlap

Bui, Inc
12 years ago
We just purchased this home & I was wondering what I should do to the exterior of my house to update it and make it have better curb appeal? I live by the beach so I need something that will withstand the salt water air and not be to heavy for a beach environment. The garage doors have to stay (wood), but I can paint them a color. I've been told they can't be stained since they have already been painted and have a lot of groove detailing. Thanks for your ideas and help!

Comments (15)

• bepsf
    12 years ago
    Where is the front door? Any improvement to this house should indicate where the front door is located and help guide visitors to it, while minimizing the unfriendly bleakness of the garage doors.

IMO - If you dont' entertain the possibility of changing those garage doors to aluminum and frosted glass units or natural wood units - you're not going to gain much as the facade will remain forbidding and unfriendly.
  • PRO
    diamondblue
    12 years ago
    Different shades of a warmer beige/taupe paint.
    Paint the garage doors, including the the area up to the house number the same color. Paint the trim that has the house number a trim color - even white. Paint the trim at roof line white too.
    Contemporary flower/plant boxes below the windows or above the garage to draw your eye. That is roof top deck? Put some low pots up there with bursting plants.
    If possible add a fatter contemporary trim around the windows - if it is wood siding, cut into a recessed trim would be nice. Interesting house - you can do alot with it. Have fun.
  • PRO
    Bud Dietrich, AIA
    12 years ago
    What a neat house! Lots of possibilities.

Right now the base (section with garage doors) is a lighter color than the "piano nobile." Usually it's the opposite. A darker color at the base gives the upper portion something to rest on. So all of the base, including garage doors, in a darker color would help.

Can you replace the vertical siding? If so, something in a panel such as Hardi Board would work nicely. If not, add some interest with large house numbers in a bold color and some plants, etc. Something that gets the eye away from looking at all those verticals.

And I'm with bepsf. Try to introduce an element that lets everyone know where the front door is.

A beach house that I've always thought was great was Venturi's Lieb House on the Jersey Shore. Hope it helps.
  • lyvia
    12 years ago
    I would break up the solid blocks of the appearance. For instance, it would be really fun to paint the top part vertical turquoise and white stripes, then play with turquoise and white on the garage door insets. Or use a tangerine color. Something that says vacation. Or try painting a few squares on one door tangerine, but paint the other door tangerine with a few white squares. The doors have a pretty pattern, there's just a little much sameness to it.
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    All great ideas and I agree, embrace beach colors without getting too "schlocky." Whatever colors appeal to you. Just forget beige and white except as an accent. To soften the lines, plants on the roof that vine over the edge but require minimal maintenance (you don't want to be hanging off the roof to trim plants!), something that flowers that works in that climate will soften the blockiness.
  • carolina10
    12 years ago
    Maybe a dark navy for the base with white trims, paint the garage doors white, keep it clean and crisp, think Ocean, ocean liner, nautical flags ....
  • NOrma Remick
    12 years ago
    If you can't replace the vertical siding, then stripe it with a brighter color and white. Paint the lower half a darker color, and make it all the same color, including the garage doors. If you can afford to replace the aluminum windows, so much the better. Next to the windows put up large (very large) house numbers in a contrasting color and use plants on the railing above. Maybe flower boxes hung on the railing, with colorful plants and trailing Ivy. Above all don't use beige, or gray, but instead give the house some life with colors you like.
  • Gail
    12 years ago
    Great ideas. How about adding planter boxes below the windows. I think a nice beach color for the house would be so fun and inviting. Plus you could just say, look for the ___________ house with the window boxes. Should be alot of fun to do.
  • User
    12 years ago
    I like it as is, and to soften the front and keep in line with the contemporary beach feel, I would add a custom long silver/metal window box with cool, interesting plants. If you want more, then I suggest painting the exterior home a color with "punch" that you like and trimming it in white or off white, which ever you prefer. But still add the long silver window box. Cool house!
  • PRO
    Yvonne Mastny
    12 years ago
    This home has a "Mondrian" feel to me. Perhaps create a charcoal vertical dividing line on the upper level to the right of the windows. Paint the window rectangle a vibrant color; paint the area to the right white; paint the outer border of the garage doors charcoal and use two vibrant colors on the doors. Extend the upper rail on the left side and paint it charcoal. If you have water access on the roof have a large charcoal planter box constructed on the left (perhaps with a seat one side) and plant one lavish species of downward flowering vines (bouganvilla, clematis, climbing hydrangeas, or passion flowers depending upon your zone and flower color choice). Attach huge "201" vertically between the windows and the vines.

Color combinations? Classic red/blue/yellow, beachy tangerine/kiwi/turquoise, or sophisticated black/white/grey.

• User
    12 years ago
    Oh fun..so much potential! These are the steps I would take for easy solutions to a fabulous appearance: (1.) Would make rooftop railing full length of roofline and run wood horizontally to add character + privacy. (2.) Bolder window trim. (3.) Add an arched gate at entry (where is it). (4.) Add 3
    simple sconces at each pillar between garage door....don't see any lighting.
    (5.) Paint the house with B.Moore "Grey Owl" and all trims B. Moore "White".
    (6.) Remove those tiny house number and have "201" spelled out on gate or
    use larger black numbers and run vertically at far right side of house nearest "to be" gate.
    Make sure you post your results after this fun journey...can't wait to see what you have decided to do. Beach houses can be beautifully classic and timeless. Enjoy!!
    (3.)
  • PRO
    Bui, Inc
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    thank you everyone for your ideas. They are great!
  • PRO
    Marie Grabo Designs
    12 years ago
    Paint the top portion a pale blue, leave the garage doors as is. Put a long window box under the window and hang four flags (something with a nautical flair, and simple) equally spaced just above the window boxes
  • Saam Phelps
    12 years ago
    If you're lucky enough to live at the beach...you're lucky enough. You've been give a lot of great ideas. Good luck and enjoy :)