Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sborror

sborror
12 years ago
Would love to hear suggestions on how to make it more cute, a better place to sit. I love a shabby, eclectic but family friendly look.
Pergola · More Info

Comments (35)

• PRO
    DeCocco Design
    12 years ago
    First clean it up from top to bottom. Take everything possible out and away. Then start placing items back in--the chimera, seating with colorful cushions, plants in nicer pots (nicer for them, nicer for you). It's a great space, just very beat up.
  • sborror
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    great thank you! the types of pots - do you recommend bright colors ones? I have a nestbox w/ babies right beside it and don't want to clean too much until they fledge but can see how tired it looks!!
  • PRO
    DeCocco Design
    12 years ago
    Babies! How fun. Bright color pots would look great amongst all the foliage. Good luck!
  • Kat McLaughlin
    12 years ago
    A little water feature would be really neat here, you know, a little fountain bowl, etc. :)
  • debt71
    12 years ago
    power wash the brick floor. Indoor/ outdoor rug would really be inviting. Invest in an outdoor sofa with some bright cushions...my favorite outdoor thing. It will be very inviting and comfy.
    Some small tables to rest a drink on, or an outdoor sofa table. I found one last year tiled w slate for $50.
  • crystalbeachmom
    12 years ago
    I would do all of the above, also move the potted plants to the outside corners and add string lights to the arbor for atmosphere.
  • PRO
    COOK ARCHITECTURAL Design Studio
    12 years ago
    I'd create 2 seating areas: one with a love seat and a pair of chairs the other with a bistro table and 2 chairs. Those would allow you to sit and eat a meal, or have a comfortable place to sit and chat. Check out World Market, they have great deals on sets of outdoor furniture this time of year, and usually have a couple of style options to choose from.

If you have a place to plug electrical in (or an extension cord) sting lights along your pergola. If no power, hang a variety of lanterns from the pergola and use candles in them.
  • amanda_kellie
    12 years ago
    I agree with @decocco.

It's a really nice space, but I think something also needs to be done with the pergola to freshen it up. It could look very romantic/summery with some light fabric draping around it or even just a simple brighter paint job! ....Also, pull out those weeds from the tiles and give them a good scrub. It would become a place you actually WANT to spend time and have a cold drink or two-person dinner in!

Amanda Ainsworth ;)
    inhaus Surfaces
    www.inhaussurfaces.com
  • PRO
    Shelley W.
    12 years ago
    If those chairs are metal, I'd spray paint them - maybe one red and one yellow, put some colourful outdoor cushions on them and on the little bench (paint the bench too), white lights on the background fence and on the overhang, red geraniums in every available pot, paint a metal table (stripe or checkerboard it if you're feeling creative) between the chairs and adorn it with a lantern (candle inside).
  • saranji
    12 years ago
    Maybe a Buddha statue,a water feature,some white romantic cushions for the lovely chairs and a small round wooden table with a vase of wild flowers.
  • Jane
    12 years ago
    How about some window panes (take the glass out) suspended just above the fence. An old chandeleir with the electric bulbs replaced with candles could look super, and add some dollar store sheers on bamboo poles for rods (nylon or polyester fabric is quick to dry and can usually go into the washing machine). Bright pots planted with hosta or sedum would be unexpected. Add the water feature for some gentle sounds or even a wind chime (make sure you enjoy the "music" it makes though, otherwise it will drive everyone indoors).
  • Jane
    12 years ago
    You could use a chain suspended from a hook in the pergola (one per side) and a chain on the bottom of the frame attached to a heavy weight hidden by a pot to avoid the panes swinging in the breeze (and potentially knocking a child over). :). If you have children a day bed with outdoor fabric and lots of pillows would get used on hot evenings while the grown ups sit and chat.
  • Carly Bouwman
    12 years ago
    I definitely think lighting and white breezy curtains is the way to go bring this space to life. soft white curtains, or even white mosquito netting for function and you could even spot light them from the ground and ad a string of small white lights around the top inside frame. Cushioned outdoor sofa/chez lounge and chairs would be great with a metal or wood coffee table and you can clean up your fireplace with a coat of dark paint so it doesn't overpower the rest of the space... black or bronze would be great! Keep the potted plants to the outside edge and keep the pots similar style and color to compliment the fireplace. :) if you want to introduce some color, it's best to leave it for your potted flowers and accents like pillows, throws and table wear so that your small space doesn't feel cluttered. Have Fun!!
  • Teresa Hicks
    12 years ago
    Whats behind the fence? Maybe add a plexiglass fence.

• sborror
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    thank you everyone how great your ideas were!! there is woods behind the fence and around the back part is a wee bit overgrown but last year we had cottonmouth take up residence so i'm leary of weeding back there. I love all the ideas and appreciate everyone responding!
  • bellabluejungle
    12 years ago
    (De-clutter. )Paint the chairs and stain or paint the patio cover. Kill the grass/weeds growing inbetween the square tiles. Power wash or paint the square tiles. Take the big potted plant out fron under the patio. Paint the fire pit. Trim the tree growing into patio cover.
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    More activity in that area will keep snakes away, and there's something called "Snake Away" which is odorless to people that you can put down next to the fence. (Snake Stop isn't as effective.)

Painting the whole pergola will brighten it. It's a lot of work, and requires priming.

If you take up all the "flooring" and remove weeds, spray the ground with weed killer and relay the tiles on top of weed cloth with sand between blocks, it will control the grass.

Attaching rope lights inside the upper framework of the pergola would give you almost invisible lighting. (I use it in my closet.)
  • meatpie
    12 years ago
    I would paint the pergola white and add burlap to the top. Agree with others to add rug (dash and Albert make great outdoor rugs), and clean it up. The white paint and burlap will make it pop!
  • karen spencer
    12 years ago
    I agree with the other posters that it needs 'tidying' and 'brightening. I would also suggest you paint the structure to brighten it. And put a roof of some kind on it, so that it keeps out the rain and sunshine. Running a drop cord would be my first step so that I could include lighting. After putting in resin wicker chairs/loveseat with bright cushions, find a heavy standing lamp to complete the look and feel of a living space. It will look like an oasis in your yard - and will turn into an outdoor living room! Its a great space - just needs trimming back, powerwashing, paint and some furniture/light! Enjoy it!
  • Laurie Mischel
    12 years ago
    There is too much little stuff. Larger pieces would make it more cohesive. I like the idea of painting the chairs a brighter color...kiwi? Orange? I like the idea of some solidness above the fence that will make it feel more like a room.
  • PRO
    InteriorsbyDesign
    12 years ago
    Lovely potential for a fabulous small outdoor space. I would first remove all clutter and weeds and clean the area. Decide what function this space will serve. Dining? Sitting by the fire? It is a small space, so you can't add sofas,love seats, chairs and dining table. Therefore, make the space function as well as possible for your needs.
    I would clean the pavers and add either sand, cement grout, or a plant that can grow between the tiles. Paint or stain the fence and pergola. You can add outdoor curtains for a soft, romantic look. A small love seat can be added if extra seating is needed. You can paint the metal chairs a brighter color if so desired. I would add a small cocktail table and end table to do double-duty to serve food on. Paint the chiminea dark bronze with Rustoleum spray paint.
    You can add string lighting or lanterns to the pergola. I would keep container potted plants on the outside perimeter or the pergola, so as not to take away valuable space from the area. Add some outdoor pillows for color.
    All depends on the look you want to create. Cottage, eclectic, traditional...as to what items to incorporate.
  • Gail
    12 years ago
    First clean everything out, clean out the weeds. Add a swing hanging from the right side of the patio, a couple of chairs across from that. Consider some kind of lighting overhead if you will use it at night. You have a beautiful rustic/natural setting so I would stay in that style. Bring color in with pretty pots and plantings but don't get to cluttered. You could paint your chairs and swing but be careful to not get to colorful, for me this setting says nature and I would respect the restfulness that is there.
  • sborror
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    truly i love how great all these ideas are and how you all have taken the time to respond. Now i have to convince my husband I'm in need of his elbow grease for some of these ideas! I will definitely post an after picture!!
    thank you all - love all these ideas
  • sborror
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    One last question - for those of you who recommended painting the pergola - do you have color recommendations? It's an 'unauthorized pergola' meaning we did not get homeowners' approval before building...would love to hear the color choices if any...thanks!!
  • bellabluejungle
    12 years ago
    For colors on pergola. I think all white, or white post's and brown top (shade of brown can be to your preference)like light, dark, red, gold or grey brown tone choices. Or all brown with tone of choice. You can also go with an off white, almond or soft golden/light yellow to. I think you will need to sand the wood before you paint. Look online, or ask a home improvement center for ideas.
  • PRO
    Cheryl Hatfield
    12 years ago
    This looks like a good place for some feng shui! First & foremost, clear the clutter. Clutter creates chaos and does not make for a fun relaxing area. Next, trim back the greenery & pull weeds. Choose a color and lightly infuse it throughout by way of plants & textiles. Keep the furniture minimal, since this is somewhat of a small space. Consider painting the pergola a fresh shade of ivory and drape some outdoor lighting.
  • Vicki Jackson
    12 years ago
    It looks like a great space! I have something similar in my backyard. Because its a wooded area it will tend to be darker--my first suggestion is to clean it up! Grab a power washer and take care of the stone floor and the wood beams.. you probably won't need to paint after that. Then look into adding white flowers.. its amazing how they will glow both day and night and brighten your space. White Hydrangias will look great on the left side. (I think I see a planting garden) and then add some impatients in a large pot for the right front corner.
    As far as your seating. It looks like you have to great metal chairs. Pick a color you like and grab some cushions. Either go natural picking a green or perhaps go RED for a bold choice! Then you could add accent plants and pots in red and white???
    Then next year after you have spent some time in the space you can decide if you want to up the antee and put in some of the new "outdoor living" furniture... a sofa and and a chair? with a wrought iron coffee table.
    Personally one step at a time.. a little clean up and some some planting and I bet you will be spending alot of time out there!
  • gelvella
    12 years ago
    Did you think about doing it Moroccan style? All it needs is a clean up, declutter, and leave the wood natural, there's nothing more beautiful than natural wood and it has a nice texture. Add some pouffes or bean bags in bright and multi coloured a low metal (outdoor) table and some fairy lights or typical moroccan lanterns. A large hokkah and a typical moroccan carpet would complete the look
  • PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    12 years ago
    Although I think the curtains, rugs, pillows etc are fun and would look nice...I feel you are setting yourself up for a large mess if you go that way. You have to keep in mind you are outside and in a wooded area-it would be much easier on you if you went with minimal maintenance. I like the tip about take everything away and clean it up first AND the lights tip. A good start would be to weed- kill the patio and re-sand it and stain the pergola. I think clearing that fence by cutting those trees would really open up the area too. Cool spot-post after shots please!
  • sborror
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    This is only part of the process. Cleaned it up and power-washed the pavers. removed the clutter. Am trained back the bamboo that is growing there. Not sure what colors for the chairs yet but something brighter and haven't put the chimnea back in there...not sure I will...looks better to me already!
  • PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    12 years ago
    It is looking better already!! Thanks for the post. Do the flags and wolf head have some significance? They are not really in the realm of the look you are going for? You can take a bag of sand sprinkle over the patio and broom it in. Then pay some attention to that back left you can even it out a bit. Have fun & Keep posting - love it!
  • Gail
    12 years ago
    Oh much better already. I have those same chairs, mine are dark green, but a pretty teal would be nice on you patio. Great job.
  • PRO
    Cheryl Hatfield
    12 years ago
    Looking much better, needs a dose of color. Something bright & fun
  • PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    12 years ago
    Too bad you can't "like" comments on here! I would "like" galynn's and tips-4sale :)

• bloominggooddesigns
    12 years ago
    If you can find a bright blue with purple undertones for your furniture go for it.....goes great with every other color in the rainbow and really brightens up any area.
Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor