Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richmeg87

Hardwood, Engineered Hardwood, or Wood-looking tile?

richmeg87
9 years ago
We just purchased a new home and we can't decide which type of flooring to install? We have a modern rustic style and like the idea of the thick, dark, distressed look in a white kitchen.. We are a bit concerned about the cost of real hardwood, but we hate the look of laminate or "fake' hardwood. We need to know the bottom-line...which is a better option for a kitchen/dining/entry space...hardwood or wood-looking tile? HELP!!!! Thank you!!!!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Because kitchens are a wet area, you might want to consider something that isn't actually wood. If you're going for a wood look, consider using luxury vinyl planks. They are installed in planks like wood, instead of sheets (which is the normal installation for vinyl) so that the wood appearance will be as realistic as possible. Also, there are ceramic tiles that are designed to look like wood planks. There is also a material called Coretec that is luxury vinyl, with a cork backing. The pieces would snap together (floating) like laminate flooring, except its surface is vinyl. The cork backing prevents water from under the floor from penetrating the material and causing water damage so that it stays in perfect condition. Also, it is very easy to install and you wouldn't have to worry about having to rip out any ceramic tile or vinyl that might be currently installed.
    richmeg87 thanked SoCal Contractor
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    However, there are plenty of homes that have hardwood throughout. It looks amazing. This is preferable, but its an investment. Not only does it cost more, but it would take more to maintain it. Nothing, other than real hardwood or engineered wood floors will look as realistic.
    richmeg87 thanked SoCal Contractor
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Keep in mind that the wider the planker, the greater chance you have for the boards cupping.

Also, whatever you do, DON'T buy hardwood flooring from a big box store like Lumber Liquidators, Home Depot or Lowes as their wood isn't dried properly so you end up with all sorts of problems from the day it's installed. If you've got a few mintues, checked out the comments on Lumber Liquidators at pissedconsumer.com for stories of how saving a couple of dollars a square foot cost them thousands more in the end.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    9 years ago
    Great advice already given. Find a good custom flooring company like Carlisle or Oak & Broad and talk to a flooring consultant to really get an idea of what works best for your individual project. All of our clients install wood flooring in their kitchen. Hayleys warnings are well founded.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    In our area, once you figure in the cost of laying a cement backer board for underlayment and add the cost of installation, tile is more expensive than basic hardwoods. IMO, nothing beats the look and feel of hardwoods. We are however getting ready to lay the Cisa Xilema wenge tile in a house covering a large portion of the main level. It is for an active young family that has a lot of people in and out and have a large property with a pool. It is a nice looking wood imitation tile that we think will hold up well to the traffic.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    9 years ago
    @hayleydaniels...
    Here's some MORE great press for the folks you like...
    http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/23/6576631/global-community-monitor-lumber.html
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Gee @Oak & Broad...
    Carlisle or Oak & Broad... ? Really???
    Where's the love? haha
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    9 years ago
    David, Select HW Co should also certainly be considered. :-) I was just mentioning companies already posted in the thread :-)
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Select Hardwood Floor Co., Wow! What do I say? I'm so glad their store was far enough away that I didn't want to have to go fight extremely heavy traffic as I had an irrational fear of car accidents so we looked elsewhere. We ended up going to a local floor stored owned by the brother of some friends at church, and bought Mohawk white oak. We haven't gotten it down as my husband is probably going to need more surgery on his knee.
  • PRO
    Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
    9 years ago
    Solid hardwood would be the best, however, you must take into mind that it is thick (from 3/4" to 1+ "), so the adjoining floors, if any, would have to be propped up. Engineered hardwood is OK, but you have to be careful because a lot of it comes off of a roll and sort of pleats itself onto the floor in almost no time at all. Be sure to buy whatever you use from a wood store that will give you some kind of guarantee as to warping and the pleated look. The cheaper the wood you buy, usually the shorter the pieces. (leftovers) Hardwood maple seems to show seams fast, as it is not too stable. Talk to a real pro because this is a huge expense. Don't even think of using vinyl. Have you seen it used in some of the stores where it has worn off at the edges?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Just "razzing" you earlier, Joel (Oak & Broad)... lol
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    9 years ago
    Your obvious seniority certainly allows for that :-D
  • kellyslobodian
    8 years ago
    the wood look is porcelain tile,indistructibleHas been very popular from hotel lobby in Raleighto residences etc.Reasonable,looks great.I would do a room or two not whole house.Have heard new Vinyl now the rage,have not used.
    hardwood is can be expensive but with companies like Lowes to back,coupon sales can be reasonable and warranted twenty five thirty five longer.
    I would consider any of these options.
    wet in kitchen might suggest porcelain or vinyl but I have hardwood in Vermont only now needs touch up thirty two yrs and building coastal NCEnjoy porcelain wood bathrooms hdwood said thru out rest,
  • PRO
    Wall & Tile
    8 years ago

Here are tons of options for wood look porcelain tiles. Click here

• acm
    8 years ago

Guys, the post was from a year ago. Probably they figured something out.