Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanheath

Help me find a dining fixture for vaulted ceiling

joanheath
9 years ago
Please help me select a dining room light fixture for a vaulted ceiling. The current fixture is outdated and needs to be replaced as quickly as possible.

The distance between the ceiling and table top is 80" The current chain length is 38" long. The current fixture hangs 30" above current table. However my delema is that the ceiling is vaulted which restricts my options in cables/chain/poles.

I would like an oblong fixture as the table is typically set up for 7' in length however is extended to 8' in length when required.

However finding an oblong fixture with a single cable is a challenge I don't thinK I can have two rods unless they are adjustable for the vaulted ceiling.

I was hoping for something with rustic elegance as this is our vacation home.

Please help. Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.

Thank you.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The space and decoration feels more 'country'.

Arteriors Thornton Pendant, Bronze · More Info

Glass Island Pendant Lighting for Dining Room 3 Lights · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Progress Lighting P4530-80 3-Light Linear Chandelier with Etched Diffuser With · More Info

Progress Lighting P4530-102 3-Light Linear Chandelier with Etched Diffuser · More Info
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi dytecture, I like the lamps very much. My question is with the two black poles on each side of the fixture will they secure into one single base? If my roof it's angled across the table, how do you shorten one pole to Ensure the fixture is level with the table? See attached photo on how the roof is angled.
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi decoenthusiaste, I like your fixtures as well. My preference would be for the lighting to have a focus on shining down on the table and no so much in the room itself.

Thank you for your feedback. Would you prefer the black versus the brown.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    I can see your dilemma with hanging a chandelier on an angled, cathedral ceiling. You almost have to have a "chain" in order for it to hang straight. You could remove the lamp from the existing chain and wire a new chandelier to it. I'd have an electrician help with that, or with installing, rewiring and balancing a new chandelier.

Am posting chandeliers with rustic style in both an elegant and unusual way, and focused on "single" fixture models.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    This was actually my favorite one, but it doesn't have a single fixture. Thought I'd post it anyway, just so you could see the style.

• joanheath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Thos Baker. I

You are correct I could use existing chain however it is old, gold and basically ugly. One other issue I have is the the ceiling electrical box is not exactly centered over the table. I don't think my husband will agree to moving the electrical box because of all the pine that would need to be taken down and put back up again once the box is relocated. So, is there a way I could falsely extend by using a larger base. Not sure.

I really like the last fixture. Who makes it?

As for your electrician, we are location in Ontario Canada. Probably too far of him. :-)
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    Here is a fixture similar to what dytecture posted, albeit with chains. If you look closely, the wire for the fixture goes up one chain and the other can be lengthened to accommodate the sloped ceiling. (also comes in a 6-light configuration )
    Alanna Chandelier · More Info
  • joanheath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rachel. What a great idea for the special mount. I didn't know this so that will certainly help. Thank you. Multiple lights is also neat however, not sure how to do this with a finished wooden ceiling. Would have to look at how this could be done.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    joanhealth -- the last chandelier I posted is called The Colerne Linear Chandelier. It can be found at www.kichler.com or www.lightingconnection.com.

Great information Rachel@Ethan Allen and Whispar Design! Hopefully it helps joan solve this dilemma!

• joanheath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and ideas. I am going to look at the various fixtures suggested to see which one will work. Really appreciate al your help.

I have another light fixture over another dining room table which needs to be replaced as the middle part is broken. I really like how the light is focused down on the table and the that lighting the room Is secondary. This fixture is now discontinued so I cannot get the single fixture I need. Too bad cause I only need the centre fixture. Has anyone seen one like this or could recommend a replacement Light fixture? One that directs the light down firstly, is linear, and not too bulky? I really like how slender and sleek this fixture is. Your ideas are really appreciated.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    9 years ago
    I wasn't able to find colored lamps, but found lamps similar to the style of your chandelier.