Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spgem

Paint color for open space rental apartment kitchen walls/cabinets?

Sheryl G
9 years ago
I need to paint my dated, ugly rental kitchen. I live in a victorian studio and it is an open space layout. I'd like to be bold with color, but I will be able to see kitchen from the main living area. One wall is continuous/shared (see photo) and thus will need to be one color, I assume. I have photoshopped a few colors in to get an idea of color (see pics)

The kitchen gets very little light as the window faces a lightwell. The cd rack on the left is going and will leave that wall bare. Floors are painted shabby gray and my velvet drapes are burgundy. Eclectic would be my flavor and I am open to color.

The main living area/parlor with high ceiling and architectural details, will perhaps get coat of grayish-white paint. I am torn between visually dividing the kitchen with color by painting the "beam" area (see ceiling photo) versus having one color for continuous flow (same color on kitchen ceiling, shared wall and parlor area.)

Any input is much appreciated !! Thank you!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    9 years ago
    I like the first turquoise, but what is all that back in the corner by the window. Can it be removed and be used for more counter space? Maybe a freestanding piece like this? Love the apartment.
    Sheryl G thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    Great studio. Love the LR area with the burgundy. I think I would leave the grey to the floor, and not bring it into the kitchen. It looks drab on the cabinets, an you mentioned the I kitchen was on the dark side. I would do something like this, find something you love that is colourful and gas some burgundy in it, but also other bright colours like in the table runner in the pic below. It can be a pillow or throw, or art. Use that as the jumping off point to introduce other colours. It will flow better.
    My Houzz: Duncan Residence · More Info

Brilliant Imports : The Bali Collection ~ Pillows & Cushions · More Info
    Sheryl G thanked MarleneM
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Turquoise for sure! Beam should be cream like living space...trim white. Add shelving on window and fill with funky vases, bottles, glasses....

Maybe add a room divider between kitchen and living area? See through bookcase? Drapery panel ...beads?

What a cute space you have!!
    Sheryl G thanked beachlily
  • Sheryl G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the great ideas. Really appreciate it!
  • Sheryl G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So should I go white for cabinets?
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I looked at your idea books, and the ones that caught my eye were the ones with painted cabinets. I think walls painted a shade of white and colour on cabinets and then more colour brought in art and accessories.
  • Sheryl G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Something like this then
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Did you add studs and corners?
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I like that. What do you feel about it?
  • Sheryl G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's definitely brighter. Re: studs and corners - I photoshopped that detail in but I am entertaining the idea.
  • Sheryl G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I've been simply ga-ga lately about deco/ Hollywood regency glitz and the nailheads are an attempt to glam up a dreary room. Not surprisingly, there's not much info on " small, dated, glam kitchens"...
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    What about stencils on the wall?
  • PRO
  • Sheryl G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love the stencils!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I thought this was really cute (and could be kind of glam) with the different knobs for every door and drawer. Made me think of your kitchen.
    Alterman · More Info
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    That's really cute with the different knobs. Could be something to look for in second hand shops. Some other ideas for glam touches, update light to something with crystals, and add glass and shiny accessories like dishes, candlesticks and trays. You could put shelves up on wall where cd shelf is to display them. [houzz=
    Palisades · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Kitchen Remodel Painting · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Square Box Gallery Silver Tray · More Info
    ]
  • Sheryl G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Such great ideas! I really appreciate it.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    You're welcome! Post pics of updates.
  • Sheryl G
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I absolutely will!