Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainlion48

1960s bathroom remodel: any thoughts, ideas?

Rachel
9 years ago
Hi, my fiancée and I just bought our first house together! It's straight out of the 60s, which we find endearing, but the bathrooms (and kitchen) need some TLC. I want to keep the original "feel" by keeping most of the tiles. I like groovy meets modern/ eclectic style, and we are all about repurposing. I'm starting with the small yellow bathroom. I had some ideas, but would love to hear your thoughts and ideas, as I'm new to houzz and remodeling.

My first thoughts (subject to change):

1. Remove grab bars, knock out two rows of tile where holes are and put in 3 rows white subway tiles as a border. This would be the 2&3rd row from top. 2 rows= 9 inches (4 1/2 in square yellow tile) The subway tiles are 2x6= 9 inches for 3 rows...? Hopefully it would fit if we go with that. Also old wood with gray in it would be cool, have no idea if that's realistic.

2. Take down mirrors and put up smaller vertical mirror with border. Found a possible plaster one at a yard sale, could be spray painted a funky color?

3. Some sort of cool light fixture.. No ideas yet

4. Put up wallpaper that compliments color and 60s theme. I think I like the one in pics. What do you think?

5. Install console frame around sink?

6. Unique fixtures that won't break the bank

There are many other loose ends like... The crack in the floor, the tile color in the bathtub area is slightly different... Etc..

Anyway, any and all thoughts welcome. Thank you for your help. I'm looking forward to learning and experimenting.

Comments (3)