Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shay_browne

Office space

Shay Browne
9 years ago
I'm remodeling my home office. I've got a great golden yellow rug, and plan on painting all the wood finishes (bookcase and paneling - not the French doors, we'll keep them natural to match the floor) white. I want a distressed writers desk but would like everything else girly and slick. My biggest question is, we're ripping off the wallpaper above the wood panels and need to paint. What would be a good color to introduce on these walls?

Comments (12)

• Kim
    9 years ago
    a cool gray
  • PRO
    Woodman Design
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If you paint your woodwork (minus the french doors) a light creamy color, I'd go for a light grayed rosy-purple color. It will be "girly" but still sleek. It also won't compete with the warmth of the wood tones of the floor and rug. I have a gray and yellow room posted on my page - but you'll notice the floors are light and do not have red undertones as yours appears to. Think a contemporary blush tone with a tinge of gray to it.
    Check these out - Benjamin Moore: Tropical Sand, Pale Cherry Blossom, Charmeuse, Soft Satin
  • PRO
    Woodman Design
    9 years ago
    Great chairs in the other room, by the way!!
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I would paint the walls the same golden yellow as the rug.
  • oreet
    9 years ago
    I would paint the walls in the same cream color found in the rug. Let the rug make the statement and allow the walls and wood to enhance not fight with the rug. It will make the room look fresh.
  • Shay Browne
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What if we're painting the woodwork white? Do I need to ditch the rug? I want something very bright.
  • oreet
    9 years ago
    If you are going to paint the woodwork white then paint the wall above it a much lighter shade of yellow than the rug shown in the picture. Find the same color yellow as in the rug on a Benjamin Moore color strip and go approx 3 tones lighter. This will co-ordinate the room colors without making it look like you need sunglasses when entering. I recommend painting the woodwork in a satin finish, using "cloud white" (Benjamin Moore) and paint the doors as well.
    Shay Browne thanked oreet
  • Shay Browne
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    we have some concerns painting the doors white because they open up to rooms on either side where it might look strange. do you think that will look terrible?
  • oreet
    9 years ago
    It will look odd having all the woodwork white except the door. It will not look odd when the doors are open into the adjoining room because it will relate to the "white" room.
  • PRO
    Woodman Design
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would avoid painting the walls yellow. In my opinion it would be a lot of the same. I think painting the french doors would be fine, but don't think it would look bad if you didn't. You are making them a statement. Purposeful design works.
    Definitely bring the white paint chips in to the room- Some whites that work for others do not work for everyone! Look for a warm white.
    Shay Browne thanked Woodman Design
  • Shay Browne
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you WOODMAN! You've been super helpful.