Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicc

need help with my open concept house foyer/great room etc

chicc
12 years ago
If anyone has any suggestions for window treatment (without obstructing the view) for my greatroom/foyer and dining room - I would love hear hear them. I am also in need of assistance with furniture placement\options to complete the space. It is so open concept, I am having huge issues completeing it. I am open to anything in terms of wall colour or changing out the rug etc. I need help!!

Comments (16)

• Manon Floreat
    12 years ago
    Hi, chicc. I think I would go with motorized window shades. There are housing styles and mounting methods that allow for the blind to practically disappear. I would definitely go that route in the living room. However, I would keep the curved transom free.

In the dining room, I would also have window shades. I would add an area rug to soften the room, but keep it tonally similar to the space. I like the cool, monochromatic vibe and would add a large oblong pewter bowl to the table for punctuation. Something sculptural and gallery worthy.

The floor in the foyer is so exquisite that I couldn't bear to cover it! I would, however,add a substantially sized circular entry table to "protect" the sofa back.

Speaking of floors - what is the material in the foyer?
  • chicc
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hi Manon,
    Thank you for your response! I really like the idea of a circular foyer table - perhaps with a huge potted orchid on top.
    Do you have any other suggestions to soften/frame the windows with fabric?
    The floors are travertine from Marble and Granite Depot.
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    12 years ago
    Foyer - add a circular or square table - if you don't want to invest in something incredible like an inlaid wood or marble topped version, perhaps do a cheap one or one you already have with a to-die for geometric, floral or embroidered fabric tablecloth on top to make a strong statement. Fabric will help to soften the appearance of the tile without adding a rug. Art gallery worthy vase on top of some gorgeous hard cover books, or a simple glass vase with tall, fantastical flower arrangement. I would also lighten the wall color a smidge to make it more airy and open. Similar color just a shade or two lighter.

Dining room - add a simple, cream colored tibetan style luxurious area rug under the table. Something with sheen and texture but not a lot of design or pattern. I also dig the minimalist vibe here. the room is beautiful but a litle too "hard" even with all those upholstered chairs. Put an accent buffet where you have the art work. If they still fit, you can raise them up to go on top of the buffet, but honestly I would do a gorgeous starbust mirror in gold and two very elegant table lamps above. This gives you alternative lighting at night and adds warmth and glow to the room. I would do something colorful and artistic as a centerpiece to the table. Or not. I would suggest very lean, lightweight linen draperies in a neutral tone with some texture. Hang them as high as possible on small rods (not going all the way across the window) with a simple end cap to stop the drape from falling off the rod. Use a flat fabric tie back to pull the drapes away from the glass and aim to cover only the trim on the left and right only and maybe an inch or two of glass maximum. This will not block your view, but frame it.

Familiy Room - you need a brightly colored pillow or two to work with the sofas. Maybe a bright citron yellow or lime green or turquoise. Orange or red. Just a bold color. Pick one you like and find a chevron or ikat printed pillow that will bring a little edge. I can come up with several ideas for the windows, but it all depends on whether you need light control to avoid the glare on the television. For a very simple look you could do solar shades which don't block the view at all. I agree not to put anything in the transoms if you do shades. Motoriation is handy but not necessary if your budget doesn't allow. Consider putting a lightly colored rug underneath the sofas. They match the rug very closely so it's almost too white against the dark floors. Shop for an oriental rug, but look for the vegetable dyed ones that are soft and very low in contrast. Perhaps pull your pillow color from the rug. Not sure what you have there in the shelves but you need to put way more things in there. Try some books to fill in the space and add some vases, frames and accessories throughout. I'd also see if you could put some elegant boxes or tailored boxes on top to hide the heating vents a bit. You could also have someone build in a matching wood panel and make a decorative grate in it to work as the vent or intake.
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    Hi -- This space is so dramatic and beautiful ! The foyer is large so it can have something large, I see a large white marble garden urn ( 30"high) filled with dripping moss and orchids or the urn can have a glass table top.or you can have a large asian ( 30"high)style pot with the glass table top. OR you could have a large round tuffted ottoman or one of those round ottomans that has the raised center like I've seen in fancy hotel lobbys etc.This would probably have to be custom made. If you go with the centre table - then I would put some nice modern upholstered benches infront of the stair railings. In the dining room I see one of those re -dyed antique rugs that ELTE .com has. The drapes should fill that whole window box area. A beautiful big rod with finials and textured semi- sheer fabric in a cream.The same fabric for the living room windows but done in a relaxed roman shade. Leave the transom upper windows exposed. You could have a grouping of glass items for the centre of the dining table like lidded jars and candle sticks and orbs, etc. You need a bigger rug for the livingroom like a wool and silk light colored tone on tone pattern- or something modern ( new shag? ). Have the TV fireplace wall tiled with a charcoal marble or granite ( glossy) or paint it that color ( like the color of your furry pillows) Add a few more pillows in a vibrant colors - maybe a floral or a modern pattern.You need a very long (asian ?) console behind the sofa back that faces the foyer with some well chosen larger display item - or items (3 or 5 only) Maybe a long low piece of driftwood or table lamps. The furniture arrangment is fine but if you moved the sofas a little closer to the fireplace (leave 30") then you might have room for two accent chairs.I think you also need some lamps - there are great floor styles. If you are going to paint the walls try a pearl grey or warm white but take the paint up the whole window wall. A room that has ceiling angles looks better with all the walls and ceiling the same color. Maybe add some large potted palor palms - if you like plants. Please only real . Anyway- I think I've gone on too long but I hope that I have helped with some ideas.I am still open if you have questions.
  • Sudha
    12 years ago
    Very beautiful house ! I loved the foyer floor. You can add a fountain or big urn with water and floating flowers and ffloating candles. A center table will also be great, like what the previous comments recommeded.
  • PRO
    UNCOMMON MARKETS LLC
    12 years ago
    No help from me -- I'm as design challenged as you. I just had to comment that this is one of the most beautiful homes I've seen. I love your style and think you've done a great job so far.

Oh, here's a thought -- how about getting an interior designer or decorator to come in to at least help you narrow done your choices? That's how I chose most of my paint colors -- too overwhelming to do a whole house without some help! (P.S. the ones I chose on my own are all not quite "right".)

With all the great suggestions you've received, you may just need the help of a trained eye to bring it all together.

Gawd, what a great home!!
  • dreamhouse2002
    12 years ago
    Hi, just lovely. I like the suggestion for sheers if privacy is not a problem. Also need some punches of color with accessories. Think citrus colors would be a nice punch. What are the paint colors that are used in the dinning room and living room?
  • Jennifer Brown
    12 years ago
    For curtains I would just add panels along side of the windows to soften it, I know that is what you are feeling, kind of exposed, but the panels will soften the windows esp dining, I would go with light panels that sit on the outside of the window seat. Try turning the dining table on an angle from corner to corner of the room, I did this and I didn't have to add a rug, I just left the floor exposed and it turned out incredible, the table makes the statement. The foyer you need to ground it, which I would do with a rug or two even, not to small and in a darker shade so it grounds that tile. You can than experiment and add some furniture that will make a statement there, table, chairs/bench, something that you can sit on and somewhere to lay your mail etc. Use your artwork as your inspiration. In the family room, long panels along the side of the windows, in brown so they match the pillows if you feel you need them. I in my own home add additional pillows depending on season, e.g. blue for summer, orange for fall, red for Christmas, etc. I would also think about putting a table/bench behind that sofa that is open to the rest of the house so it protects the back of the People sitting on the sofa (kind of Feng Sui) and it will delineate that room from the rest of the openness, put a nice piece on it (table) so it will add to the elegance of the room. I think you will be surprised by these small tricks. Try them and see if you like them. I think your major concern is the foyer which you want to decorate to connect the family room and the dining room to create synergy and a flow to the house. Beautiful so far, just a little tweaking, good luck.
  • Jennifer Brown
    12 years ago
    Additionally I like the idea of changing the rug in the FR to a simple patterned rug, like a chevron style, that would ground that room also. It's a little too white on white. ;) Have fun.
  • ahewitt402
    12 years ago
    I had a similar, beautiful window. I had silky, crinkly, lightweight, lined for privacy pull drapes over just the bottom windows, leaving the arch uncovered. I used a decorative traverse rod that was wider than the window so that, when opened, the draperies stacked outside of the glass. They looked great and were very functional. But I wish I would have thought to do the same thing but longer, covering the entire window when closed and having a tall stack when opened.

I think there is too much dark wood in the room. I'd paint over the paneling in a soft or jewel tone to bring some contrast. Go with your favorite color or a color that complements your home as a whole because you only have neutrals in that room, and you need some color.

I love the white (or maybe it's creamy, I can't tell) trim and love your artwork. Your home is beautiful! Enjoy it and those you share it with.
  • GizV
    12 years ago
    Dining room. I think your chandelier is the centerpiece so would only add a runner down the table to soften the look. I would put an oversize rug under the table, more for sound control then anything else. Ever practical, I would use a synthetic material for the rug for easy cleaning. A rug in a tight busy pattern in various shades of same or similar colors will hide many a spill. Example is homedecorators.com 20289 "Peace"

I agree large green plants would be a welcome addition throughout the space. If you don't have a green thumb or the inclination, hire someone to come in monthly during late fall through winter, and bi-weekly throughout spring and summer to take care of them.

Your entry is large and wide open and I would want to keep it that way though I would put a black console table with drawers and an extra shelf next to the railings to collect things like keys, change, gloves, school books and things going downstairs later. Add leather baskets to help keep things looking tidy. Unobtrusive but handy. I like the idea of being able to sit near the front door and would use two smaller Ottomans or a bench to the left of the door. I'd also use a larger (4x7) synthetic carpet at entry in a similar neutral as you have. Make it look like part of the design instead of just a place to wipe your feet.

I'm overwhelmed by your windows. They are breathtaking. I'd probably do shears below the arches on a simple pull rod. These deserve consulting a designer while the drapery designer is there. I used both for my humble project and it is well worth the money.
  • Suzanne DeTurris
    12 years ago
    I too think the dining room needs a bit of "softening" perhaps a sisal under the table. Other than perhaps a center table for the entry... something dark, modern and perhaps transparent (glass top) to keep with the clean modern appeal and not hide the floor but balance the room to center....right now the eye is drawn to the staircase. Otherwise, I would be loath to change anything...including the windows...but a very sheer treatment could work if you really felt you needed it. Lovely home all around, well done.
  • sheilaksb
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you must add anything to the dining room windows, I would suggest white sheers that can be drawn or opened on a rod, but have the top of the curtains even with the horizontal bar, leaving the upper, curved part of the window uncovered. To brighten the space, a white table cloth or runner would help. If you want more light, I would suggest white or metallic wall sconces on each wall, starting with sconces that flank the window and then having sconces spaced the same distances on the other walls. An area rug with a white background and a soft, light green vine pattern would add light, contrast, and softness to the room, and it would blend with the white sheer curtains and table covering.

• zaccaii
    3 years ago

hmmm...this is 6 years ago :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Old post