Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_wolff

Source for short door (72" tall)

Christine Wolff
9 years ago
I am looking for contemporary or shaker style paint-grade doors that are no taller than 6'. Ideally the size is 72" x 36". I'm going to hang these using stainless steel Barn Door hardware to cover opening in an low ceiling eaves space. Does anyone know a source beyond chopping down a standard height door? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Check with your local door supplier or lumber yard. A standard flat hollow core door blank is easy to cut down and you won't need hinge mortises.
    Christine Wolff thanked PPF.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago
    If you cannot find anyone who will make it for you, or if they want to much money to make it a custom size, you can always get regular height door and make it to size you need.
    Christine Wolff thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    You are not going to be able to "chop down" a paneled door outside of a six-panel because there is no middle rail high enough to become the top rail. Find a custom shop to make some for you.
    Christine Wolff thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • Christine Wolff
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for your advise ppf, GN Builders and River Valley Cabinet Works. Do you have any links to sites @ dressing up a slab door if we cut one down? I suppose some flat stock could make the slab more interesting.
  • dfromthebdot
    9 years ago
    Your local Home Depot offers custom sizes from different suppliers at reasonable prices. You can't cut down a hollow door.
  • Christine Wolff
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks again for all the advise. I'll try to remember to post pics of the finished project. we're in demo mode at this time!
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    You asked for contemporary or shaker style, and a slab door is contemporary.

It would be easy to apply rails and styles on top of a slab door to create a shaker style.

You could start with 3/4" MDF for the door and add trim to the face.

Lots of options.
    Christine Wolff thanked PPF.
  • Christine Wolff
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, think "shaker-ing" an MDF is the way to go. Am off looking at DIY sites that would get me 3/4 of the way there.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    @ppf- That works to, IF, and that's a big "IF" the MDF is flat when you start. That is why I suggested the solid core door.
    Christine Wolff thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    9 years ago
    I've ordered special height doors from Lowes before
    Christine Wolff thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago
    I assume this is exterior door... in any case you can break down the door jamb, and use a straight edge to make an accurate straight cuts on the door, next cut the jamb and
    reassemble everything. Everything is straight forward and the way they make pre-hung doors, you can take them apart in no time.
    If you have a raised panel door, you can cut top and bottom of the door to keep symmetric if appearance is important and again adjust top and bottom jamb accordingly. We did that a few times on steel basement doors with raised panel doors without any issues.

Good luck
  • HU-448679478
    2 years ago

I would love to hear and/or see how your 72 inch door need was resolved, as I need several short height doors for my basement remodel.

• Andrew Keefe
    2 years ago

I'm also curious how this went. I'm turning a basement garage into a home office. It's an addition to the other 2-car garage and has two 30.5" x 80" openings. I was thinking of going with sliding barn doors since I don't want to reduce the inside width by using a frame, but finding nice doors that are ~80" tall has not been easy. I may have to go with found wood, which will probably not be hollow.

• HU-448679478
    2 years ago

I would love to hear and/or see how your 72 inch door need was resolved, as I need several short height doors for my basement remodel.

• Jenna Loop
    2 years ago

Following for ideas!

• seantana
    2 years ago

Also curious how this was achived.

• Mizholden
    2 years ago

Same situation and completely baffled with it.