Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorky0421

Need to hide my neighbors fence

Deb G
9 years ago
Hi I need help to hide my neighbors fence. Every time it go home I see it and it's an eyesore..as you can see they have a chain link fence.looks ghetto...sorry for the word but I'm just so ready to cover that side where the fence is.i live in sacramento and I don't know how high should the cover be but if I'm not mistaken I think it's 6 feet.also there's an electrical box on that side so I'm unable to plant anything on that side because when me and my husband tried digging. We saw a tube that has wires and we think it's electric or something...so if wear not able to plant anything on the ground what can I do to hide that fence and make my driveway more appealing to the eye? Thank you ladies in advance. :-)

Comments (12)

• Kivi
    9 years ago
    Ummm. What makes you think there are only ladies here?
    Anyway... You should call the utility companies before any digging so that they can come and mark out locations for wires etc.
    Find out how deep those utilities are, and simply plant things that don't interfere with those utility lines.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    does your area have codes for what can be done fence wise in a front yard?
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If that is your electrical box, that is an eyesore in itself. I would put a horizontal wood slat fence in front of the chain link one, paint that electrical box and add some plants around it.
    Leasure Residence · More Info

Modern Landscape · More Info
  • lbelden
    9 years ago
    Have the utility company mark the lines (very important, and free), then build a 6 ft wooden fence, install sprinklers, and plant a few shrubs. Bye, neighbors.
  • karelina
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I agree that a fence is the best and fastest option. To improve your yard, I’d start adding bushes and plants. In a season, it will break up the fence and, if planted in the front along the walkway, not so much a privacy barrier, but a sense of enclosure. Even something low growth will look attractive. Make sure that you check with the city to determine if there are any height limits, if you’re considering a fence in the front. it may just be me, but I don’t like a fence just on the sides - it seems incomplete, though bushes and low plants can enclose the space, also.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I less expensive solution but slower is to plant large prairies grasses along the border. Next year you wont see them.
    Residential home · More Info
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Someone suggested painting the electrical box -- many utility companies don't allow that, so check with them when you call about having them come mark the buried lines.
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    9 years ago
    100% agree with hatetoshop about confirming with the utilities, BUT just know that's a separate call from Miss Utility/Digsafe/whatever the utlity locator service is called in CA. The locator service is funded by the utilities, but totally separate.

re: the comment about finding out the depth, let me be the voice of experience here: trust no information about depth but your own eyes. If you ask the gas company here in VA they'll tell you lines are 24" down. A few years ago the guys were hand digging near the marked gas line and 4 inches down they hit it. Also, cable and phone companies here are notorious in new subdivisions for literally laying their lines on top of the soil right before the builder sods.

To the OP, plants are definitely going to be your easiest solution if you don't want to erect a new fence. Step one, call for a utility locate and see what that side yard looks like. If you think you can plant while staying clear of the lines (24" away to either side is ideal, but people are known to cheat it), go for it. If it looks like spray paint spaghetti on the ground, a fence may be the only option.
  • PRO
    Mouldex Exterior & Interior Mouldings
    9 years ago
    Check out these products from OZ BUILDING COMPANY, http://www.ozcobp.com/wap-oz.html They might be perfect for your situation, no need to dig and a suitable way to cover a chain link fence.
  • ocwildlife
    5 years ago

Plant a row of Podicarpus shrub/trees, add a mock decorative fence or some alternating privacy screens, adding climbing trellis type plants.

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    It's a 2014 post!!