Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyfamyf

Small loft not working

amyfamyf
9 years ago
We just moved in and the furniture I had planned to put in this upstairs loft is just not working. I had originally thought this could be a nice little seating area for reading or relaxing but I feel like the furniture might seem too big making it feel narrow and crowded. The space is about 10 1/2 feet wide and I don't need to use the bookcase it was just some furniture we were not using anywhere else. I have two of them. Can anyone help me or give me suggestions? I can't even seem to find pictures of an area similar to give me ideas. What would you suggest? Do the sofa and chair look weird? Do I just need to get some art on the walls and pillows to help the area feel more finished? What could I do with this space?

Comments (65)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Here is another picture that might help you visualize the sofa against the window. I know it's not the same style of your armless sofa, but it looks very inviting, and you may have an easier time finding another place for the chair in your home.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I do like your sofa and chair. My first thought was to try the sofa under the window, as suggested by others too. If you leave the sofa where it is, I would put the chair straight so it forms an L-shape with the sofa.
    Here are a couple of examples of similar narrow rooms. It really can be a lovely room...
    Chelsea house · More Info

A Modern Miami Home · More Info

Bramham Gardens, South Kensington · More Info

Boverton Street, Roath · More Info
  • eyerusw2000
    9 years ago
    I loved the suggestions made by carolins, i was thinking the same thing. the sifa on one side and either TV or a nice painting in front of it so that the room would have depth as one can see till the window.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    If you don't want to put the sofa under the window (if you could try and post pics so we can see it would be lovely), I would definitely move it to the longer wall. And move the cabinet to the wall where the sofa now is. That will look more inviting when you come up the stairs and generally you put the largest item against the largest wall.
  • PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    9 years ago
    Sofa in front of window

Two small stool /coffee tables

Nice floor lamp torchieres that tuck under the sofa. They have a stem shaped like a c. They're great for you

Area rug to define the space.

Build from this point.
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    Another suggestion for furniture ideas and placement for yr small space.
  • ybxhctq
    9 years ago
    Check out this layout. It looks similar to your space.
    sea view penthouse · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Nice pieces but yes, a little bulky. Would the chair work in the master bedroom? I'd try some floor to ceiling drapes flanking the window and set the sofa about 12 "out from in front of the window so drapes hang freely and the arrangement isn't cramped looking. Add a glass and metal coffee table and an arc lamp to hover above it. Use a striped rug with stripes running horizontally across the space to shorten it visually., The book case is too dark and heavy. However, you could paint it white like the trim. You could turn the area into more of a "nook" by pairing your two bookcases right and left of the entry to the space, making an "entry" between them. Do some measuring to see if they would work for you. If the backs are nice, paint may be all you need, but you can also upholster or add bead board panels and trim to the backs for a more finished look. Then the room side of them will make for a nice decor spot, along with books to add the reading nook effect. The last pic below gives you the effect but not the same scale. Be sure there is art on both walls, and if you have room for a smaller chair, try one with a print.
    Ikat Fabric Accent Chair · More Info

Purple Glam Master Bedroom · More Info

Rain Stripe Rug, Dark Green Multi, 5'x8' · More Info

Family Room · More Info
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I like it the way you have it. Take the bookshelf out. Add some pillows, maybe one more chair with a little table & lamp between the chairs. Hang drapery panels (narrow), maybe stripes or a print on either side of the window. The chair could have rungs in it so as not to obscure the view of the room. Lovely area, oh & hang some artwork above the chairs.
  • interiordesignme
    9 years ago
    with this layout, it Looks Kind of funny and much too big, how about putting the single chair next to the Sofa and getting a nice throw on top of it? on opposite wall get half height bookshelves and artwork on top. you could even get some cushions on top of the bookshelves to create more seating. with a few more pillows, you've created a really nice, cozy reading area. - so you can get the idea abt bookcases -
    Quiet Reading Nook · More Info

Grey, Yellow, & White Stripe Custom Outdoor Pillow · More Info
    Lausanne Throw, Gray and White · More Info
    Embrace Throw Pillows, Yellow and Gray, Set of 4 · More Info

gray and yellow work very well with blues.
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok I loved all the suggestions!!! We tried the sofa under the window and it barely fit and looked really strange. Also my kids kept kneeling and jumping all over the sofa to get to the window so it was not working. Here is the best arrangement so far. I haven't decorated or added pillows or anything yet. I want to see how this felt and looked first. Any suggestions or comments? Does this look like a good arrangement?
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just found these pillows in my closet, I probably won't keep them but thought I'd throw them on just to see how it would look. What else could I still do?
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I think is too heavy on the sofa side. Take the bookcase out & place the side table against the window wall to be used by both the sofa & the chair Put a lamp on the side table. You know I think this is a perfect area for your two upholstered pieces, you could try the bookcase across where the end table is now & pull the chair a little closer toward the sofa.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Yes! for the changes you made. Did yo have two of those bookshelves? Could be an idea to place the other one on this side of the sofa. The ottoman with tray could go in front of the sofa. I do like these pillows.
    Lamps? And art. Something above the sofa and something across from it.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    this is best so far. try other bookcase exactly opposite the one in there, with the chair pulled a bit forward toward the entrance to allow this.
  • PRO
    Nesco Upholstery
    9 years ago
    Ditch the bookcase and use some shelving in order to free up some floor space. Leave the couch but maybe consider some floor cushions as an alternative.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Hmm... maybe something like this next to the sofa
    Kenroy Hydra Floor Lamp · More Info

Sussex Floor Lamp · More Info

In the corner behind the chair?
    Roomstylers Floor Lamp · More Info

You could have a wall decal or a removable wall mural or wallpaper on the wall opposite the couch. There are great options out there that can even give the illusion of depth, or pretty ones with trees and birds...
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    You might consider moving the chair to the other side of the sofa and angling it so that it faces the window.
    You mention 2 book cases which could be placed side by side(together) on the opposite wall
    Plants would look nice with that wonderful window.
  • PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    9 years ago
    I love the idea of a little reading escape, with a large wall bookcase against the far wall, maybe in shabby chic style (white) the wall could be a soft shade of blue, like duck egg with a few choice cushions and pillows in the sofa and chair in the same shade. Add a warm shaggy rug, see the colours together in the example from Laura Ashley. I look forward to seeing where you go with this, good luck :)
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think you are really on the right track, but I think that the tall bookshelf is blocking the window and making that side of the loft look too "furniture heavy." I attached a picture of a very narrow room that may help you get a visual. I think an area rug-maybe a comfy shag would help define the space, too, and love the idea about putting a floor lamp as suggested by carolins. Looking good. Good luck!
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love the shag rug idea and plant idea. Many of the other suggestions have been amazing and very good to consider. This is a brand new house and we have plantation shutters coming for the window. At this point I can't do any painting, build in book shelves, curtains, or other large things. I can't spend anymore money. (A rug, pillows, or new shelving unit might be fine.) Just trying to find things I already have that might work for the time. I have a lamp and a few other things I could try. I'll post more pictures and see if we can get this figured out.
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have a question about art too. How do I make it work to have art on both walls. Something above the sofa and something across from the sofa. Any rules about styles, sizes, or frames I should know when two art pieces face each other?
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    You currently have put the sofa against the longest wall in the room, which is good. I think once you take the bookcase out (it's too big), move the end table between the chair and the sofa. Leave the chair angled as you have it. Add table lamp or floor lamp between the sitting areas. After your plantation shutters are hung, and you add a fluffy round or rectangular area rug, try hanging some horizontal shelves (2 or 3) somewhat above eye level as you sit on the sofa. Shelves for a few family photos and your books stacked and lined on the shelves with bookends. Add a plant or two. You could hang a small mirror grouping over the sofa to reflect the shelves, photos & books.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    So, here's what I kind of had in mind. I just picked a good sized poster (Land Of Nod) and guestimated the size. Maybe a bit bigger or smaller in real life, and maybe you don't like the subject, but it's just to give you an idea. And then something like three pieces in a row on the other wall.

Or something like this tree-wall-decal on the other wall and then go from there. Maybe you don't need to add anything else, maybe you'd want something above the sofa, maybe you'd choose to let a couple of the birds fly above the sofa...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/79728894/wall-decal-forest-winter-tree-wall-decal?ref=market
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow that looks fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to do that. I'm going to try the other bookcase on the opposite side of the sofa like you did in the picture.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Yes please :-)
    I would actually place the floor lamp on the other side of the sofa, but then you could not see it in the mock-up.
    Since you want to use this as a reading nook for your children, to read them a bedtime story, I was thinking that these two bookcases will create a cosy space.
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is an update with the second bookcase. I still need to add some artwork on the walls.
  • interiordesignme
    9 years ago
    wow! look good! do you have a longer Ottoman? also, try adding some of that nice blue in your bookcases - Frames, vases etc.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    You have placed all large items on one side. Try both bookcases at the far end of other wall and move the chez on this end of the room
  • User
    9 years ago
    The 2 bookshelves seem too heavy and dark for your space. Can you put the bookshelves on the opposite wall/ across from the sofa? It would help balance the room. Round accent or small square tables placed on both ends of the sofa would be nice, and they would provide a place to put a lamp and/or drink down on. Here is a picture of a very narrow living room in which the furniture used is smaller scaled. A longer and more narrow ottoman would be nice in your space or you could add another square ottoman. Hope this helps. Good luck. Love your sofa and chair.
  • Karen Ginas
    9 years ago
    Like the two bookcases. Is it possible to paint them, if shutters are white I would match them or a bit creamier. Love the idea of the tree stencil. And your art is perfect for a reading room. When you can purchase, I would do floor cushions. You have very nice taste your colors are very calming. Enjoy your new happy home.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I do like it. It's beginning to look like a very cozy reading nook. Love the idea of adding floor pillows. Thank you for keeping us up to date :-)
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Alright, we took some of your suggestions and built a white console table for the other wall. I like this so much better. I have not begun decorating this room yet. I'm thinking some nice fun bright colors. Next step is the mirror. I need to figure out what color to paint it. Silver? Black? White? And which direction to place it.
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is the old way and new way. I still have to get colorful throw pillows, art, and maybe some soft ottomans. Then I'll need to decorate the console table. What do you think I should do with this unfinished mirror?
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The mirror's frame has been sanded and striped of it's mohogany finish. It needs to be repainted or stained. Where the mirror is positioned now over the console table it reflects the mountain range really pretty. I thought I'd do some canvas artwork over the sofa. I'm just not sure what color to do the mirror frame.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Just saw a clearer picture of the mirror. What about a metallic finish, since you probably do not want it to match the console table below by painting it white. Silver would be pretty in your space. What color accents are you planning to add in the room? Silver or gold?
  • dovly Dovly
    9 years ago
    I love the two book case scenario. You just need flowers, curtains and pictures. Maybe a little larger coffee table. Most of the accessories should be of a light color.
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Another question, there is a big long wall as you can see in this picture and its directly across the stairs as you walk upstairs. Would 2-3 cube ottomans along the wall with maybe two large pictures above it work in this space?
  • User
    9 years ago
    Think that would look great. Just keep you colors light-love the soft subtle colors you have right now. All the light colors look great with the wall color! Also, love the addition of your shutters.
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What colors would you do? Could you give me some examples of pillows and or cube ottomans or artwork? Just to give me an idea of a color scheme that would work with the sofa. I'd like to keep it playful yet peaceful. It's going to be a nice quiet reading and study place.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think you could either do ottomans with a pattern-your sofa looks like it is light blue-very pretty color or you could do solid ottomans in ivory, cream, or white. I'm not sure if you want to do leather or not. World Market, Crate and Barrel, and Pier 1 have a good selection of ottomans and pillows. There are so many pillows with blues, whites, and ivories out there to choose from. Hope these pictures help. You have a nice, clean slate to work from. I would just pull from the blues in your sofa. Good luck!
  • Mona
    9 years ago
    It looks great with white console but I don't like the idea of having a mirror in this room since u wanna use it as a reading area!
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Your ottoman is really similar to one I found on clearance online today. LOL. I was worried it was too much like the sofa. What kind of accent color could I use with this. I feel like I need more color.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think this ottoman would look great with the sofa-as long as the blue in the ottoman is the same shade as your couch or close to it. You could find pillows with the same colors-blues and greens-maybe different patterns. I don't think you need that many pillows-1 large lumbar sized pillow or maybe 2-4 square pillows at each end of the couch. You want to have space to sit. The striped ottoman would add texture and pattern to the room.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Some pictures of pillows that I think would look nice with this ottoman and your sofa.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago
    What if you put the sofa in front of the window? Leave some space between the back of the sofa and the window for window treatments (I'm thinking sheers!) and then a coffee table in front and maybe a sideboard for books and storage. I think the bookshelf is sort of tall and awkward though. You can do it! :)
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Just curious about this combo. I like this throw pillow. Is the pouf too similar? Yay nay? With the bluish green sofa?
  • PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    9 years ago
    I think it best not to over throw the balance with too many patterns although the gold is a nice contrasting color to the greens and blues, uniformed by the white. If you want another color still I would maybe go for a walnuty style wood, such as a coffee table or credenza to balance some ornaments. This will bring out the tones in the furnishings. I've included a few examples in the pics. I would also consider if there is space maybe a single canvas piece of art with a flower, to bring the wall to life. Hope this helps, it's great to see progress being made :)
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Hi. I decided to read your discussion. Nice space and it seems that you'll know whether it feels right if your 2 bookcases go on sofa wall, or the opposite wall. Though a lower unit would look less overpowering?
    You posted 2 pillows - one dark which tied in with dark units.
    Nothing wrong with contrasting units and nothing wrong with your new white one either. I know you haven't finished... did someone say floor pillows? here's floor baskets:
    Woven Felt Baskets · More Info