Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tree

Fusing Ficus Trunks

ryan_tree
13 years ago

Hey all,

I've got a small clumping of Ficus trees that I would like to fuse. I had originally wanted to just do a forest planting, but once fusing was suggested I changed my mind. There must be around 7-10 trees, but I will count and give you an exact number. How exactly does one go about fusing this many ficus? If I keep mine growing throughout the winter, could this process be done? Thanks!

{{gwi:19872}}

{{gwi:19874}}

{{gwi:19875}}

Ryan

Comments (7)

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Ryan, this is usually something which is done when they are first planted, makes it a whole lot easier. And, in your area this is going to take a while.

Normally you begin by deciding things like branch placement and relative size to each other, taking into consideration things like the approximate size and design of the finished tree. Where trunks are going to meet you remove roots and branches then bare a strip on each tree.

You can loosely hold them together with masking tape until you have the 'bundle' ready to go. Then use something like soft rubber to pad the trunks, or cloth and (most common) a wrap of raffia to bind them. This is done multiple places on the trunk. The more modern way would be to use a good wrap of rubber ��" like inner tube or rubber roofing ��" then a wide wire tie at each point. Of course, as the tree/trees grow, you need to keep an eye on things. Seasonally you will have to relax/remove and replace the ties and the rubber so you donâÂÂt wind up with ugly groves in the trunk.

You can probably still minipulate those enough to get things started, have fun.

Bob

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bob!

I read somewhere on the web about using electrical tape with the sticky side out to bundle them together as well. Would you recommend I start removing strips of bark and wrappring them together now? I plant to keep them growing throughout winter. Thank you!

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I picked up this clump of ficus today to practice on. I plan on keeping these growing throughout the winter. When should I start fusing these, and how exactly do I start? I've read that you cut pieces of the bark off, then use electrical tape or otherwise to hold them together. I tried to move the trunks closer together so that they would be a "clump" but I could not do that without completely removing the soil. Should I completely remove the peaty soil so that I can move all the trees into more of a clump? Thanks!

{{gwi:19899}}
    {{gwi:19900}}
    {{gwi:19901}}

Ryan

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

They're tropicals so it won't be a problem messing with them now. If possible avoid cutting too much root, if any, because it will slow them down for a few months. On small trees the tape should work pretty well, you'll want to put a light wrap over that with the adhesive side in.

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bob!

I found a very interesting site about how the author of the blog fused the trees in a very cool way that I would love to try. I will need more trees, however....

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus fusing

• napapen
    13 years ago

I've had luck fusing by just putting the whole group into a much bigger pot. The roots will grow together and it will fuse easily.

Penny

• gregwentzel_verizon_net
    12 years ago

Here are a few pics of a braide tree that fused together.
    http://fusionbonsai.com/

Sponsored