Houzz Logo Print
hl42

are these tulips perennial?

hl42
15 years ago

Pink impression

Claudia

Big Smile

Are any of these tulips perennial in zone 7? Should I treat them as annuals and dig them up in the spring and plant new ones in the fall?

Comments (8)

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

Pink Impression - Darwin hybrid
    Claudia - Lily Flowering
    Big Smile - Single - Late flowering

All are Dutch hybrids and in our Zone, will not perform as perennials.

For a perennial Tulip, you will need to obtain the dwarf species, such as Tulipa bakeri, T.tarda, T.humilis, T. batalinii, etc., are some of the ones more commonly available.
    Some of those will have cultivar names, i.e., Tulipa bakeri 'Lilac Wonder'.
    There are also dwarf species hybrids, 'Little Princess', 'Bronze Charm', etc.

The flowers of the species are not as large as the Dutch hybrids, but some are very interesting and they do return each year, plus multiply.

• hl42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks georgia-rose for the information. I am going to treat them as annuals then.

• cnid
    15 years ago

Not sure how much difference the zone makes but I have had good performance with the Darwins and the lily flowered tulips. They have lasted about 5-6 years for me, altho this last year was weak performance.

I have had great, lasting performance from the fosteriana tulips - they stay big and healthy.

The dwarf species are wonderful but can be disappointing if you are expecting "regular" hybrid tulips. Small flowers. They multiply like mad.

Griegii and Kaufmania are larger flowered than the dwarf species and very reliably perennial. They have big flowers but are often shorter. Tend to be early bloomers. Nice foliage (red stripes etc). Not only do they come back but they also multiply like mad.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of species tulips, etc.

• hl42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks cnid. I will experiment next spring by pulling up and storing 1/2 for fall planting, and leaving 1/2 in the ground. What is a good source for Griegii and Kaufmania? I buy tulips from local big box stores and haven't seen those.

• cnid
    15 years ago

I am in Canada - I don't think you can order from the suppliers I use. There is a well known supplier in the US - John Scheepers - I provided a link. I don't know anything about their reputation. Mail order has been the best source for these 'unusuals' for me (I live in the boonies).

I've found Griegii, Kaufmania, Fosteriana, and species at big box hardware stores (Home Depot, Rona) and farm supply stores. Also I have sometimes seen them at high end garden centers.

While many of those we are talking about are smaller, the Fosteriana are big and gorgeous and long lasting if it is not too hot. They are often called "emperor tulips." Sweetheart and Orange, Red, and Yellow Emperor are very reliable for me.

If you see 'Peacock Mix," that is usually Griegii.

Here is a link that might be useful: US supplier

• hl42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cnid: Thanks again. I book mark the link will give it a try next fall.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

My Griegii and Kaufmannia were bought from a local hardware store chain (Menard's), and have reliably returned now for 5 years. All the other cultivars have fizzled out to leaves or stunted blossoms only. Pink Impression persisted a little longer than the others.

• Donna
    15 years ago

Your southern zone makes ALL the difference. By all means, try your experiment, but you'll find that the tulips will come up in foliage for years, but you won't get one in ten to ever bloom again and that one will be so pitiful and small you'll scarcely see it.

There are a very few tulips that will return and bloom in the south, but unfortunately, none are the tall, large bloomed beauties that most of us crave. If you want to try some, try these:
    tulipa clusiana (lady tulips): like well-drained limey soil
    There are several colors.
    Tulipa sylvestris
    Tulipa praecox, which is a red one. It is said to multiply well. Southern Bulb Company markets it on the internet. (2 bulbs for $25, last time I checked.)

Darwins and their kin are very inexpensive. Buy some every year, chill them in the fridge for 10 weeks and plant them around Christmastime. When they're finished blooming, just dig up the bulbs and throw them on the compost pile. I think it's a small price to pay for color in the early, early spring.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting