Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_fennewald

How did you make the pathway through the yard.

Janet Fennewald
11 years ago
What is it made of and how did you do it. I have shady areas where grass won't grow and this pathway would be perfect.
Traditional Landscape · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Little Miracles Designs
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    After laying out the shape of the pathways I dig down about 6 inches. I place landscaping fabric at the bottom to make sure that my crushed stone material doesn't come in contact with soil below. Next step is to place 2 to 3 inches of compactable gravel. In the trade its referred to as QP (Quarry processed) or 0-3/4 referring to size of the aggregate. Now this layer needs to be compacted. This could be done with a manual temper or rental vibrating plate. For the final layer of about 3 to 4 inches you get to pick gravel or pea stone available in your local mason supply center or quarry. You will want to stay with material not much larger then 1/4 of an inch. A reputable source should be able to stear you the right direction as to color, use and size options.
    For something a bit easier on your back and your wallet you may also want to consider wood chips. They are usually free from the local recycling center or an arborist working in the neighborhood. In the shady garden wood chips provide a nice contrast to all the shady perennials. With chips no foundation or side edging is necessary and just replenish as needed. Good luck and Happy Gardening!
  • manipool
    11 years ago
    Is pea gravel comfortable to walk on or is it best to do pavers with the gravel in between?
    Thanks!
  • Bridgett McAlice
    11 years ago
    Could you tell me what you used as a border?