Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nishklepp

I don't know what happened to my peppers

nishklepp
10 years ago

I'm not sure what's going on with my peppers. The picture posted is of my bell pepper plant. I also have a small hot banana and jalape�o plant that look the same... "tired" or "dying". The leaves are not brown. I've been watering every other day. They're kept in the sun for most of the day (6+ hours). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm completely new to vegetable gardening. I read as much as I can and I really thought I was doing everything right. Any input would be much appreciated.

Comments (10)

• nishklepp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my jalapeno plant
    {{gwi:31952}}
    And my banana pepper
    {{gwi:31953}}

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Soil looks really wet, overwatered maybe? Root rot?

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Definitely a root problem - bell pepper pot looks wet, can't tell with jal, banana looks like lots of bark so maybe dry. Do you have the same mix in all the pots, and what is it? I'd pull them out and get them in new pots with soil-less mix ASAP.

Though I don't know - how long ago did you put them in those pots, and when did you move them outside? If they were just repotted in the past couple of days with proper mix, it could just be transplant stress, but they're REALLY stressed. If the mix is draining well (but not running right through - like I said the banana pepper looks like a lot of bark), try holding off on watering, move them into the shade for a few days and see if they perk up.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I agree that it's probably a root issue. That potting mix looks odd. Did you mulch with wood chips or mix it into the soil? If so, what kind? Another possibility might be fertilizer burn or exposure to weed killer drift.

• nishklepp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used store bought gardening soil and pine bark mulch on the top. No fertilizer. The random dirt on top of the jalapeno was my daughter trying to "help".

In a couple hours since I've posted, both of the smaller plants are back to normal. Like nothing happened. They perked right up when the sun came out more so I'm guessing maybe that had something to do with it. Like I said this is my first time working with vegetables so I might have prematurely freaked out. My bell pepper plant still looks sad though. Should I re-pot the bell peppers in a better mix? This plant has been producing since this past fall so maybe it's time is up?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

No you aren't freaking out prematurely as there is nothing normal about those in the pictures.

Your plants, if they have been in those same containers all this time, are root bound and need to be transplanted into larger containers with a good container mix. Root bound plants wilt and then perk up and then soon wilt again.

You say you are using "gardening soil". What brand and type exactly? If you are using Miracle Grow Gardening Soil then that is the problem. It says right on the bag - "not for use in containers". It compacts, drains poorly and rots the roots. Only soil-less potting mix is used in containers, no "soils" or dirt.

It is especially important with peppers as they don't like overly wet roots and need to dry out some between waterings. When over-watered and root damaged they look just like yours.

Dave

PS: and at that size if you haven't fed them anything?? Then they are far overdue. Container plants need regular feedings.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Nematodes are a big problem in fla, and as the weather is getting quite warm they become more active. That drooping is characteristic. If one or more does not recover pull the plant and look at the roots, if there are "knots", knobs, on the roots, that is nematodes.

However, if you had just re-potted the plants before taking the photos that could be the reason, though there generally should not be that kind of stress from that.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

pnbrown: is it common for nematodes to move into containers?

I'm with everybody else. definitely a root problem and Dave might have hit the nail on the head. Though I hear people all across the country say that 5 gallons is good enough for pepper plants, where I'm at(and you), it's an extra long growing season and my peppers can fill up the rootball well before winter in a 5 gallon container... especially annuums like bells and jalapenos.

There's just not enough water holding capacity any more even though it may look moist. Pull the whole plant out by banging around the outside of the container, lying the container on it's side and gently pulling the very bottom of the main stalk to slide the whole thing out. Take a couple pics and slide back in. Post pics.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In a couple hours since I've posted, both of the smaller plants are back to normal. Like nothing happened.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Very interesting. This outright rules out any root problem. IMO any root problem is no/cannot be reversible.

Wilting like what I see in the picture, can be due to TWO things:

___ extreme thirst'
    ___ extreme heat/sun

In both above cases, plant will perk up after watering and after the source of heat/sun has gone.

You say you water them every other day. But is it possible that you forgot watering for much longer than that ? OR maybe it is not just enough.

It happens to me all the time. Just a week ago some of my tomato seedlings were wilting to the point of dying: THE CAUSE: thirst. After watering, they perked up but the lower leaves did not recover.

Sure, soil less medium is better but I have grown all kinds of things in pots filled with garden soil.
    The problem with compaction and root bounding is that the pot cannot hold enough moisture for a long time (maybe not for one day), in the dog days of summer. Probably you have summer like weather in Florida right now ?

THE BOTTOM LINE SOLUTION (imo)
    re pot them with soil less potting mix into a bigger pot.

Hope all this is worth couple of pennies. But I am not asking for anything. hehe

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

No, they don't usually (right away) but it can happen. If some contaminated sand got mixed into the container mix, for example, or if the containers sit without any added fertility for a long while they will eventually invade.

Fertility and crop rotation is what stops predatory nematodes, and both of those are hard to maintain long-term in containers.