Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darcygarden

Tomato leaves covered in powder sized black spots- purple veins-

darcygarden
15 years ago

I am going CRAZY trying to find out what is wrong with my tomato plant. This is my only potted tomato and I have no idea what kind it is (it had no tags when I bought it).

The plant is on a stand and sits at eye level so I've been able to keep a good watch over it. I have noticed no aphids, no thrips, and only one hornworm in the 2 months it has been planted. It is our most vigorous plant in terms of foliage growth (3ft x 3ft bush). The plant still looks pretty healthy, BUT...

-About 1.5 weeks ago I noticed the new growth was purple tinted with dark purple veins. I thought it was potassium so I used seaweed.

-a few days later I noticed what appeared to be black powder on the undersides of some of the older leaves- when I touched the stuff it was sticky. The man at the nursery said it was probably sooty black mold from the neighboring magnolia tree and it should wash off, but it didn't wash off. I tried Safer fungicide.

-today I found that the 'sooty black mold' (?) has spread all over the plant. Not only can I not wash it off, I CAN'T SCRAPE THE STUFF OFF!! The powdery looking black spots have burned into the leaves and it is on the tops of some as well as the stem.

There is no yellowing on the leaves and the black spots are TINY- seriously- the size of sand. The plant is producing tomatoes and has many flowers, though I noticed a very faint "lighter" blotch on the largest tomato (still green). Also, I would have to say the growth of the entire plant has slowed in the last few weeks.

I have spent hours looking up every tomato virus, fungus, and mold known to SoCA and nothing seems to match up.

Does anyone know what this is? I don't want to throw it out, it still looks healthy- but I don't want anything spreading to the rest of my tomatoes.

I'm sorry, my camera has broken- I will try to borrow my neighbors this weekend to get a pic.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals