Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

Why SoCal soil is so alkaline...

New theory from the brain of woohooman.

I've come to the conclusion what makes the soil here so alkaline... all the ash from the wildfires over the millennia!

Hope everybody's surviving. Had my house gutted from a dryer fire 25 years ago -- pretty traumatic to realize you have NOTHING. On the bright side, with good insurance, you get to start over!

Kevin

Comments (14)

• glib
    9 years ago

No, the soil is alkaline because the mother rock is rich in calcium.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glib: I guess you didn't sense my attempt at sarcasm. :)

Kevin

• glib
    9 years ago

Probably. I am in a brain fog these days.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

The flames were visible here last night in San Marcos, on the mountain behind my house. Today helicopters are scooping water from Lake San Marcos. We have not had to evacuate. The air is hot and smoky but it's white smoke now. The fire went over the mountain to Escondido. I have supplies and pet crates ready though. Supplies in the trunk of my car, pet crates by the door.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

And it's only May. It's supposed to be a long, hot, dry summer for the entire West Coast, and cool and moist east of the Rockies.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Yes, we are alkaline, but darn it, so many things just grow!

That's true anywhere I suppose, if you find the right match of plant to locale, but I feel really lucky to love avocados and to have them grow so easy.

Are you the guy who planted an avocado in a prepared hole, sulfur and such, to improve pH?

Do you have more room? I'll drive down with another tree for you, just to show that in a naked hole it will grow like a weed.

Original Author
    9 years ago

ok. I'll take a #15 Holiday! How wide do they grow? Not the most ideal spot as far as sun and space, but hey.

Kevin

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

oh, I've heard that 5-10 gallon plants adapt much better to local environment

(not really, but I just priced #15 Holidays!)

I have a Reed that I grafted, but he's tiny. Lots of Reeds on Craigslist though.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I was told the Reed produced inferior fruit.

Ok. Then I'll take a #5. :)

Kevin

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

Arid areas tend to be more alkaline....less leaching away of alkaline bases and irrigation water often times contains more alkaline.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

OK, I'll try to find a #5 Holiday.

The only trees I've grown to fruit were a Fuerte and a Hass. We bought the Fuerte in #10, and the Haas in #5 a year later, and the Hass still beat the Fuerte to the table. Sure, not quite the fruit but then again the two were in alternating seasons so it worked out. I was thinking that the Reed variant would be a little better, and still fast.

Send me an email, I think my profile allows it.

Here is a link that might be useful: claims that Reeds are best

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah. Must've been another variety. Notes say Reed have excellent fruit. I planted a Kona Sharwil for THAT reason. I just hop it doesnt knock down the retaining wall below it. I have a tangerine tree planted similarly in less space but avos get larger than citrus I see.

Think I'll be ok?

{{gwi:55529}}

Kevin

Original Author
    9 years ago

John: Finally got around to taking a few pics. I may bot have the space for even a dwarf. Check these out.

I thought maybe here but seems too narrow and it would fight to get good sun all day. :(

{{gwi:55530}}

This would be the only sunlight after noon
    {{gwi:55531}}

This would be in the way before noon(notice the fence at the bottom of pic
    {{gwi:55532}}

I thought also maybe right here, but I'd have to remove the ornamental in the corner
    {{gwi:55533}}

Probably should just stick with the Sharwil, huh?

Kevin

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

That is kind of tight. The only place for a fruit tree seems to be where the ornamental is ... and then you'd be giving the last space to that fruit tree.

Always good to have a slot in reserve ;-)