Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pd0xgard_

Peanuts

pd0xgard_
9 years ago

I got these from my local nursery a couple weeks ago. They were only slightly smaller than this when I got them, do they look ok? Never have tried peanut before. I've noticed the leaf pairs seem to close up together from time to time, what does that mean? Too dry? Too wet? Just normal growth? something else? I probably should have amended the soil better than I did, it's probably overly clay like.

Comments (9)

• art_1
    9 years ago

They look fine, not yellow or wilted or anything.

Just general advice, amending the soil is a big deal and really important for growing good crops. Mixing compost or manure into the top 6-12 inches of soil, adding mulch on top helps. If you can loosen the soil so that you can dig down and move the soil with your hands, the plants will grow much better. People do it many different ways. Some only till and add fertilizer.

Some advice for peanuts in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: First time planting peanuts

• pd0xgard_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How soon should I start seeing flowers? They've been in the ground a few weeks, May 24th to be precise. I don't really see any signs of blooms yet.

• mav72
    9 years ago

I started mine from seed in mid April and they started growing a couple of little yellow flowers that bloomed last week. The funny thing about peanuts, in my case, is that they dont look very productive when growing but when you dig em' up it's like finding treasure. I even missed a couple of peanuts last year that sprouted this year...

You probably can still add/build up a little more loose type soil around the plant for the peanuts to develop in.. Your plants still have few leaves and are pretty tall so I think there's still time for that to increase your yield...

• pd0xgard_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought mine from a nursery a few weeks ago in those little black plastic nursery containers.. They were already a decent size, haven't grown much more from what they were when I bought them. I'm just not sure what I'm looking for as far as flowers/pegs, which I've read about. I don't see much change from when I bought them, so I was a little concerned, although it's only been a couple weeks I guess.

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Depending on variety, peanuts have a long season. DTM of 90 for Spanish types to 140 for runner types. Valentias somewhere in between. Virginia types about 120. Your plants have a ways to go before blossoming. {{gwi:68453}}

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

When the plants put out their purple stems that go into the ground where the peanuts develop, pull up dirt around the plant.

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    9 years ago

Regarding the leaf pairs closing up periodically -

I'm no expert, but I've noticed the leaf pairs on my peanut plant closing together when it's dark - some plants have natural biological reactions to low light or cooler temps. I wouldn't worry about it.

• pd0xgard_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I just checked now, after the sun has gone down and they're all closed up.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Yes, the leaves open and close and move around a lot. There are some interesting YouTube videos of their moves I looked at a few days ago. I'm trying peanuts for the first time this year, too. I don't expect them to do great since our summers are usually too short and too mild for them, but it will be fun to see some of how they grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peanut time lapse

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus