Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dolivo_gw

need opinions ASAP please!

dolivo
10 years ago

Hi all. I think i sowed my zucchini and yellow squash seeds too soon. By the time i could transplant a few weeks ago, all of them were developing blossoms while still in the pots. Since transplanting, they have gone crazy with blossoms but grown almost none. ( it has also been cool and rainy here a lot) i can see a bit of new frowth on some but not like before. Sooo.....
Are they going to take off and grow for me?
Should i quick plant seeds for new plants?
Should i pinch off blossoms for a while? Will that encourage growth?
What should i do?
More pics below.
Thanks!

Comments (10)

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Usually any blooms that have developed are removed prior to transplanting the plants so the plant will stay in its vegetative and root developpment mode.

That the plants are tricked into early blooming when started indoors is one reason why direct seeding works so much better than using transplants when it comes to squash.

If they were my plants I'd remove all those blooms and hope they will switch back to growth mode.

Dave

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

Ditto what Dave said, I would also start seeds in the ground for back up.

• Alifair
    10 years ago

Plus, you can stuff those blossoms for a pretty snack, or toss them on some pizza!

• cait1219
    10 years ago

I just had to get rid of one of my crookneck's over the weekend because it wouldn't grow. I even pulled all the blooms off but it never got any larger....I'm sure it wouldn't have ever produced....the leaves were much smaller than yours!

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replys and help, This is my third year gardening; you'd think I'd know better. I rechecked the seed packages and it clearly says plant three weeks before last frost. Well, I planted the seeds a good 6 weeks before. What a dingbat.
    Anyways, I have removed all the blossoms on existing plants and am hoping for the best. I have also planted several more seeds just in case. Live and learn, right?

On a completely unrelated note, I have to say, I used carrot seed tape this year for the first time, and I have to say, I am not impressed. only about 1/4 of the seeds germinated.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replys and help, This is my third year gardening; you'd think I'd know better. I rechecked the seed packages and it clearly says plant three weeks before last frost. Well, I planted the seeds a good 6 weeks before. What a dingbat.
    Anyways, I have removed all the blossoms on existing plants and am hoping for the best. I have also planted several more seeds just in case. Live and learn, right?

On a completely unrelated note, I have to say, I used carrot seed tape this year for the first time, and I have to say, I am not impressed. only about 1/4 of the seeds germinated.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

I had poor results last year with carrots on seed tape. Normal seed this year faired much better.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have experience that cucurbita bloom early in poor soil. That can happen in the pot when kept too long. The grow tap root and when it hits the bottom and the soil is poor and there is not enough room for roots, they figure they have reached the end of their rope and must get on with their mission, i.e. flower and produce fruits/seeds. The same can happen in poor soil in the ground too. But if they are provided good soil with adequate nutrients, they sould resume growth.