Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverunicorn02

newbie /wanted

silverunicorn02
15 years ago

hi everyone my name is gayle

and i am new to all this posting and planting

well sort of new to planting in the apartment where we lived i did a few things in pots but didnt have much luck

but anyway we just got moved to a nice lil place where i have a small 10 x 10 piece that i would love to do some veggies

i got the ground all dug up and the neighbor explained to put newspapers and cardboard down for weed barrier

i did

so now i am looking for some seeds tomatos-peppers-cukes-watermelon-cantelope-cabbage-and the such i have nothing to trade but would gladly do postage if anyone might have some extras that they are looking for a good home for

thanks much gayle :)

Comments (3)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Silverunicorn02,

Welcome to Garden Web and the Seed Exchange!

I thought you might like to know there is no email link on your member page, thus no way to email you.

To set up your email link, just go to the bottom on any page here, and click on Member Pages
    Then click on Edit your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences
    You will then probably be asked to login in again.
    Then check the box Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site.

That will place a link on your member page, making it handy for members (potential traders) to reach you in the future.

It is too late to be starting tomatoes and peppers from seed in your area. I think it might also be too late for watermelon and cantelope as well. You might want to watch for and respond to some of the SASE, SASBE, Newbie seed offers.

You might also want to check out this link. It covers having no email link on member page, responding to seeds for postage offers, and the importance of having things on your Member Trade Page, even if it is just seeds you are looking for...(or even seeds you are looking for for next season).

addressing newbie and newer member issues-first draft,

Happy Gardening!...maybe this is the season to grow some flowers since it is late to be starting to think about planting so many veggies from seed. Other veggies might do well, as the season cools.

Sue

• ms_minnamouse
    15 years ago

This is off topic but square bubble mailers cost more to send than rectangular ones?

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Hi Gayle, welcome to GardenWeb! :)

I recommend you plant some veggies that are better suited to Fall planting in your area.

If I were in your shoes I'd plant legumes such as beans/peas (Try scarlet runner beans which also have nice flowers!)

They will not only yield a crop but will also add nitrogen to your soil, for the Spring planting! :)

From GW member bella_trix on the Pennsylvania Gardening forum:
    Here are some good Fall crops, along with planting times for your zone.

Beans 8/6 - 8/27*- But see PSU's recommendations below which indicate beans should be started before 8/1!
    Broccoli 7/23 - 8/6 Note: if sown directly from seed in late summer or early fall, plant whenever soil temperatures are in the high 60s and ambient air temperatures are in the 80s.(Plant four weeks later if using transplants)
    Cabbage 7/23 - 8/6 (same note as broccoli)
    Cauliflower 7/23 - 8/6 (same note as broccoli)
    Kohlrabi 7/23-8/6 (same note as broccoli)
    Collards 7/9 - 8/6
    Kale 8/6 - 9/17
    Lettuce 9/3 - 9/17* See PSU's recommendations below indicating the best time is actually 8/1
    Spinach 9/3 - 9/17* See PSU's recommendations below indicating the best time is the end of August.
    Peas: 8/6 - 9/3

PSU's recommendations: Plant cool-season crops in the Fall. For more info, see http://consumerhorticulture.psu.edu/pdfs/seasonal%20veggies.pdf

Beans, Soybeans, cowpeas (blackeye peas), lentils, other legumes: mid Spring thru 8/1.
    Plantings can occur every two weeks from whenever Spring soil temperatures reach at least 55F and ambient air temperatures are at least 60°F. through August1. The seeds should be planted 0.5 to 1.0 inch deep, but if soil is very dry in June or July, place the seeds 1.5 inches deep so that they will obtain adequate moisture and will germinate within a reasonable number of days after seeding.

Lettuce: Leaf/head, mesclun, misticanza, romaine and radiccio: Aug1
    Mustard Greens, Mizuna, Arugula, and Bok Choy/Pak Choi: Aug1
    Endive and Escarole: May thru July.
    Florence Fennel, Parsley/Parsnip, and Celery: July1 thru Aug5
    Beets, Swiss Chard (silverbeet), and Carrots: April 1- July 10
    Radish, small salad types: August 10 to September 1
    Winter radish (large ones like daikon): July 25 to August 5
    Turnips: July 25 to August 1
    Rutabagas: July 1
    Spinach: End of August.
    Onions, Garlic, Leek, Shallots, green onions, chives: Same planting time as broccoli if starting from seed. If using onion sets or garlic cloves, plant 4-6 weeks later.
    Watercress and cress: July 25 to August 5

NOTE: Fall crops should be seeded up
    to 10 days earlier in the colder, short-
    season areas and up to 3 weeks later in
    the warm, long-season areas of the state.

--Recommendations found by using the PSU agricultural extension service's Publications Search and reading various documents pertaining to individual Fall crops.

If you are interested in growing Fall veggie seeds, drop me an email to let me know. I will send you some of my extras, in exchange for postage.

Because my garden is a 10'x10' patio garden grown entirely in pots, I have smallish amounts of leftover seeds I won't be planting this Fall: Beans (including scarlet runner), lettuce, endive, peas, a few Chinese cabbage, Florence fennel, and some others.

And I can also send a few of my tomato and hot pepper seeds if you wish. You wouldn't get to use them till Spring, and would need to store the seeds in your fridge until planting, for best results. :)

Have fun learning all about veggie gardening in PA! :)
    Grovespirit

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor