Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babsyboutique

worms in my radishes

babsyboutique
15 years ago

I hope someone can help me. We harvested our first batch of radishes and there is a small hole in the bottom of the radish with little worms in the center. Is there something I can do so all of my un-harvested radishes do not succumb to the worms? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (4)

• jimster
    15 years ago

That is the dreaded cabbage root maggot, which has ruined several of my radish crops. The culprit is not the little white cabbage butterflies. It is a small fly which lays eggs on the radish tops. The larvae which hatch from these eggs burrow into the ground and into the radish roots.

The best solution I have found is to cover the radish rows with floating row cover immediately after planting. I like radishes and have just started eating some nice ones from my garden. No maggots in them.

Jim

• aloha10
    15 years ago

Jimster is right on the money. Had the same problem for years. Now I use a floating row cover on both my raised beds and containers and grow fantastic French Breakfast Radishes, WORM FREE, each spring. Works like a charm without the use of any chemicals.

• babsyboutique
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions.

• crazyone
    11 years ago

can you explain floating cover for newbie
    and if you have them does that mean this crop is garbage, nothing to kill or keep the plants growing, mine are huge leaves but stunted plants with the white worms in the dirt