Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Zone 5- (NH): Do we start onions in fall, or March?

mmqchdygg
14 years ago

I am having great success with my Walla Walla variety that I got from (someone here recommended) Dixondale Farms.

I'd like to try them from seed, but not sure of the 'when' part. I've read different things- start them in fall & overwinter them (really?), or start them in late March when the soil can be worked.

I also found these seeds that look interesting.

Comments & suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: 85-day, Grow-Anywhere

Comments (11)

• pnbrown
    14 years ago

I don't think they will survive the minimum temp to overwinter a zone 5. Zone 7 is probably about the coldest for that. I'd start them in February.

• gabbygardner
    14 years ago

Yep, they would never overwinter here in Idaho. We get too darn cold. I started mine in April, then more in March. They are doing really well, but are still the size of a golf ball. This year has not been hot, too say the least.

I don't know if NH winters are like ours here, but I would worry about them turning to mush:)

Good Luck!!

g

• P POD
    14 years ago

I wouldn't dream of buying anything from a company that doesn't list its street location nor its local US telephone number. They could be in Nigeria, or whereever scams run rampant, and be waiting for another credit card number to exploit.

There are too many good legit companies in the US to take a chance with that outfit.

Instead, you could try Willhite Seeds, TX, they have the exact same onion (with the exact same (cropped) picture) as the one in your link above. I bet Willhite's costs for seeds and shipping is less than the linked-to poppy company's above. And you could call Willhite and ask for advice on when to start seeds for growing the onions in your area next year.

Best of luck with your crops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willhite, TX, seed company

• P POD
    14 years ago

I forgot to include a link to the allium forum....

Here is a link that might be useful: Alliums

• ronnywil
    14 years ago

I second Willhite. I bought from them this year and they are first class.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually have purchased things from this gal in the past; she has a shop on eBay, and she really is a first-rate seller. Takes pride in what she has to sell, and packages extraordinarily well, and timely shipping. Great communication with buyers, and bonus items sent. Her products are true to description. She's in Wisconsin.
    I will be purchasing more poppies from her this year, but didn't know anything about the "Candy" onions.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found a good discussion on the allium forum for anyone that is interested. Off now

Here is a link that might be useful: Candy Onion discussion

• korney19
    14 years ago

You got Walla Walla from Dixondale Farms, they also sell Candy, I buy them every year. I had a problem with them bolting last year and this year they made good on their part, they credited my order for all the Candy plants.

• veggiecanner
    14 years ago

For Walla Walla from seed we start them in Jan/Feb in pots inside and transplant out in mid April. Harvest full size bulbs in July when the tops are fallen over and half dry.
    Greens when they are big enough. i plant mine 6 inch on center in wide beds. Or some times 3 inch on center is I want to thin out every other one for green onions.
    We will be harvesting our soon.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

korney- Was that the only time your Candy onions bolted on you? Typically they are ok?

FWIW, I did end up placing my order with Julie at One Stop Poppy Shoppe, and had my order in my hands by Saturday last week.

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

Just to vouch for One Stop Poppy Shoppe as well... I ordered potato onions from them last fall and received my order quickly and in good condition...