Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (7)

• glib
    13 years ago

1 and 2 look like it. Take a utility knife and slice the stem along the stem direction, 5 inches cut so you can really open it. You should see some chambers inside the stem, one or two of which should be occupied by the white with brown head larva. squish it, cover the stem with whatever (compost, leaves, wood chips, dirt) and water profusely.

• swgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I looked down inside and saw no larvae, but I didn't get to cut the full 5 inches because my father, who shares the garden, was skeptical. Would they be much further in or should I see signs pretty close to the hole? Is it possible this is something else?

I am so sorry for the annoying questions; any help is much appreciated.

• glib
    13 years ago

Even if you do not see the larva, you should (or should not) see the damage in the form of ragged empty spaces (chambers) created by the SVB. If you let the larva become fat it will become unmistakable (it can get to 0.8 inches) but by then the plant will have suffered a lot.

Typically, you will find them in the first six inches from where the stem enters the ground. And also, typically, for a long cut you will see solid stem, devastation, solid stem again, if they are in there. The utility knife, with its precise cuts, minimizes damage to the stem. Do not use a serrated knife.

• tim_the_gardner
    13 years ago

Guys, I don't know why, but I have had a LOT of Squash Vine Borer bugs in my garden this year. Two years ago I learned how to spot the adult moth, and the eggs that are on the plant. Since then I inspect my squash plants like a HAWK! I've been killing the moths with a fly swatter, removing the eggs, and spraying with BT... and I am still seeing very small borer damage near the base of the newer plants.. even after taking this much prevention. Does anyone know how to keep these suckers outta my garden? Any advice will be appreciated. Also how long does BT take to kill the larvae once they hatch and begin to enter the plant?

Thanks,

Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:91667}}

• swgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay - makes sense. I may see empty chambers - I guess the inside of a stem is not generally hollow (yeah, it's been a while since I took any sort of biology). If the larvae are too small to see, how would I kill them? Injecting BT? Is it okay to do that on a plant with fruit, and if so, do you inject it using a syringe or something bigger?

Sorry for the questions. I did not get hit with SVB last year and this is only my second year gardening, so I'm a little clueless.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

you might try growing butternut next year.

• glib
    13 years ago

The "trunk" of a zucchini plant is dark green (when healthy), and solid. The stems of individual leaves are paler green and hollow. In my zucchini plants, the trunk can be anywhere from 5 to 10 inches long.

To kill the larvae, you could pour some BT in there. I have never tried it though. I tried injecting with a meat injector but too often the liquid squirts out on the other side. Other people may have mastered their injector before mastering surgery, but if you have an open cut it can only help to pour some BT in it.

I don't know how to catch adult borers. I saw one Sunday and tried to kill it but it was too fast for me (it was buzzing about and about, so it gave me plenty of chances). It is difficult for me to inspect leaves, specially when you have a number of winter squash sprawled over 10X10 ft.