Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ediej1209

Pattypan squash - how big?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7
14 years ago

I've never grown pattypan squash before but the picture in the catalog caught my eye, so I got a pack of seeds. The first couple of squash are starting to grow - YAY - and I love the way they look. So how big should they be when they are havesting size -- and how do you cook them?

Thanks!

Edie

Comments (15)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

About 3 inches in diameter max. You cooked them like any other summer squash. I like them fried with onions, but casseroles are good too. The white ones are more mild Than yellow squash. Dark green ones are less watery but very similar to green zucchini in flavor.
    {{gwi:94988}}

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

I agree that 3-4 inches is a good size.

White patty pans are my favorite summer squash. Their flesh is firmer than other squash and they are really superior for grilling when sliced crosswise into 2-3 squash steaks.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to trying them. I try to grow at least one thing new-to-me every year, and this year was PattyPan and Bush Delicata squashes.

Thanks again,
    Edie

• locteach
    14 years ago

I just ate the best pattypan squash picked from a farm in Lancaster, Texas. Oh my was it yummy! Sliced it lengthwise, cut up a green onion, put some seasoning salt and added some water - not much. Nuked it in the microwave and then mashed it up - It was as tender and sweet as could be. I have several more pattypans - a 6 inch dark green and some random yellow with green stripe (small). I cannot wait till my own pattypans finally blossom. Hope you enjoy yours.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I'm glad you asked 'cause I'll be needing to know the same info too. They are new to me too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• thefarmguy
    14 years ago

pattypan squash seem to be quite productive..... also if you have not eaten the delectica squash before you are in for a yummy experience,
    another way to cook the patty pan is...hollow a small tunnel through your 3 inch dia. scallopini, an apple coreing tool works well...roll and slip in a skinless, boneless, chicken thigh, season to taste and bake for an hour or so, or wrap in tinfoil and throw it in the barbque.

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Pattypans can be used in any recipe for yellow squash or zucchini.

Here are some of my squash recipes, including the recipe for grilling the squash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Recipes

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I just had some of the pattypan from my garden last night. OMG were they good!! Never had squash that good. I just sauteed them in a little olive oil, salt and a bit of fresh ground pepper. Simple & delish.

• honeybunchy
    14 years ago

my favorite is to saute them in butter, onion, and a dribble of maple syrup-OMG good! of course, any that grow too large can be frozen for soup.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

honeybunchy, do you add the syrup at the end or at the beginning? I may have to try that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I chop the squash, slow-sautee some onions (or leeks or shallots or whatever) then turn up the heat and throw in the squash so it gets a little color, then add tomato sauce and cover until the squash is cooked through.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We've had the Pattypan twice now sliced and grilled - absolutely fabulous. Then the other day I chunked up a couple and tossed with olive oil and some herbs and put it in an Oven Bag with a pork roast. It was really, really good, too. Pattypans are now on my "must grow every year" list!

• midsummersgarden
    14 years ago

I was wondering the same thing, I've got one pattypan producing like crazy. Light green color.

In Sunset one month, I saw a picture of a pattypan hollowed out and cooked with a baked egg in it! Cute, and looked tasty.

• barbe_wa
    7 years ago

1coolgyrl, We like them about the diameter of a quarter or just a tad larger.