Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usha_srinivasan_gw

Please ID my plant

usha_srinivasan
12 years ago

Hello,

I just bought this plant from HD - the label is somewhat torn but looks like it says epi somethingortheother cactus.

Can someone ID it for me ?

{{gwi:78827}}

Usha

Comments (7)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Usha,

It may be an Epiphyllum - it's certainly an epiphytic cactus.

• User
    12 years ago

HI Usha,

Jeff's on the right track w/ this, but we can't really say more given that scrappy kind of growth. Down the road, given much larger growth & undamaged leaves, one may be able to say more, blooms will certainly help peg down the ID.

So this is a jungle cactus (not arid land). I'd suggest you switch to much faster draining mix, like half perlite or pumice at least.

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Cactus and Pirate_gir

I was planning to repot but I am having a problem with my Al's mix.
    Found this infestation of fungus gnats in my living room and traced it back to the bag of mulch I had bought to make the mix. Needless to say the mulch is history but the bugs are fighting it to the finish and are invading my whole house room by room.

I spent a little fortune buying this Bt concoction to treat gnats only to find out that the strain of Bt was not effective against fungus gnats but meant for caterpillars ! The strain I need is B.thurenginensis israel but my only source is online and it costs $25 + shipping for a few oz.
    EEK, I could buy so many plants and even a pretty planter with that money.

Perhaps I can replant in just perlite+turface mix....

Usha

• zzackey
    12 years ago

It looks like a night blooming Cereus to me. Don't water it very often.

• User
    12 years ago

Usha,

Sorry to hear you're having gnat problems, I'd return that mix to its vendor.

I don't know much about Turface, but am fairly sure you could repot this in half AV mix & half perlite (as I've used for my holiday cacti) & it should be fine.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I don't think that fungus gnats are the fault of the mix. Even if the vendor takes it back, which would be generous, there is no guarantee the gnats will not reappear in a different mix. They are present almost everywhere and increase as a result of cultural factors. The simplest and cheapest way to deal with them is to cut back on the watering, disturb the compost a little and remove any dead leaves etc. on the surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus gnats

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Flora and Pirate girl

I have cut down on watering, unfortunately one of my plant is a bog plant (Cyperus ) and literally likes to sit in a pool of water. It now is infested with gnats. I might have to cut the plant down to the soil, bag it and try reviving once I can take the plant outside.

I will try the AV:perlite mix for some of the smaller repots but the larger ones will have to wait till I can take them outside.

Usha