Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walkingheart

keeping deer out of garden

walkingheart
14 years ago

Just wondering fellow gardeners, How do I keep the deer out of my garden..They especially like the cantaloupe(-:

Thanks in Advance

Comments (5)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

I you have only moderate deer pressure, a single strand electric fence works great. After you put up the fence, you bait it with peanut butter spread some on a small piece of tin foil and attach to fence every 10 feet with clothes pins. One experiene with that will drive them and anyone they're with out for months. If you have more than one deer herd, you many have to repeat. And you repeat whenever you see deer sign in your yard. I've used this system for years and it works great.

• phawx
    14 years ago

Get a dog. A herding or hunting type.

We have a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix and she is a lifesaver for our garden.

• rdback
    14 years ago

Fence - size TALL.

{{gwi:35928}}

• caavonldy
    14 years ago

I have had good luck with this deer repellent. I sometimes alternate with bloodmeal so that the deer don't get used to it.

Copy Kat Deer and Rabbit Repellent

There is a version of "Liquid Fence" on the market. I found this works just as well, just you have to use it more quickly due to it not having the preservatives in it. It smells bad when you apply it--this is your warning!! You will need 5 one gallon containers to mix this up. Fast and easy.

4 to 6 eggs
    1 lg head of garlic, chopped
    5 gallons of water
    Any hot pepper you may have in the house

Put eggs, garlic and pepper in a blender with some water and blend until well mixed. Empty mixture in one of the gallon containers. Fill the container with water and mix well. Distribute the mixture into the other 4 containers until all 5 containers are equal.

Fill all 5 containers with water and set in the sun for 3 days to "ripen".

Sprinkle around the perimeter of the area you want to protect. You can also strain some mixture and put it into a spray bottle to spray on plants that might need extra treatment. Retreat every month or after a hard rain.

I have also mixed in onions. I donÂt know if it helped or not. I think the eggs and garlic is enough.

From what I have read, it helps to change the recipe every once in a while, so the deer donÂt get used to it. You can add milk, dish soap or salad oil in to help it work better.

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

My garden is surrounded by a chest high stock fence (which the deer will jump) but above that I have strung two strands of white cotton clothes line, the highest is at about 7 ft. This has kept the deer out for two years now. I have a herd of semi tame deer in the yard every day that will walk up to the fence while I am in the garden, so repellents short of coating each plant with nasty tasting (hot pepper/rotten egg) compounds are a big gamble. They even ate tomato test plants that had urine on them.