Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

Beetle-eating birds?

ltilton
12 years ago

I've had a lot of trouble with birds this year, so I wasn't pleased when I went out to my garden to see about 69,000 of them flying away. I was sure they were up to no good, but except for one of them pecking at a blueberry, I couldn't find any bird damage.

So what do I have in my garden now to attract so many birds? Can only be one thing - cucumber beetles. If the birds are eating those pests, they're welcome to a few blueberries.

In moderation, of course.

Comments (13)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

If you have blueberries, that *the* attraction!

Netting required, supported far enough above the plant that the birds can't get to them.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

But the blueberries are finished producing. And the birds were in the zucchini.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

are you sure there was 69,000 that doesnt sound right. next time get a more accurate count or i cant help.

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

Terry, I'm pretty sure that 69,000 was a joking way of saying "a lot". If it were me, and you responded like a jerk, I wouldn't want your help anyway.

Anyway, on to the birds. For starters, what kind of birds did you have? I catch birds in my garden for a number of reasons. I had them nibbling on my fall pea seedlings, which I had to fence. Also, they seem to be eating the ants that are running around in there. I don't have any kind of beetles, so I can't say I see them eating beetles, but a lot of birds will eat them. I agree also that blueberries are a favorite of many birds, and if you have them, birds will definately eat them. Try & see if you can identify the birds; that will meake it easier to identify their diet.

Joe

• terrybull
    12 years ago

joe, and i was joking.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm awful at identifying birds. There were at least 3 varieties of different sizes.

Earlier in the year, they were into the zucchini, pecking at the fruits and ruining them, so I was alarmed to see them there today, and in the other curcubits, maybe pecking the fuzzy melons. But no damage done. The beetles are all into the squash flowers as well as the cucs and melons. I can't think of anything else that would have been attracting the birds in such numbers.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

could of been a swarm of flies, gnats or some other kind of insects.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

terry, I get that you were joking!

I have hoards of birds in my gardens, too. I KNOW that they are feeding on seed heads of my echinacea and sunflowers (and other stuff), as well as taking care of beetle and caterpillar pests.

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

My appologies then Terry. I'm always good for some goofing off and joking, although that's always difficult on a message board, because you can't tell one's tone or intention. Your reply appeared a bit rough on the poor guy/girl, but, it's gonna be ok.

As for the birds, ltilton, you're gonna have to make and attepmt to figure out what kind of birds they were/are. That will make all the difference. For example, if they were birds that eat strictly insects, then you'd be ok. If they were birds that eat strictly fruits & vegetable matter, you'd be in trouble. If they were seed eaters, you'd probably be ok. If they were omnivores, then it could go either way. But, unless we know, it'll be a mystery. If you live in an urban area, odds are that they were house sparrows or house finches, but if you are in the boonies somewhere, they could have been anything.

Joe

• ltilton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess my question is - are many types of birds actually known to prey on cucumber beetles? Or are they known not to?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

The 'three types of birds' are likely some of the sparrows and similar and their allies that feed in groups. Could be grackles and the like as well. Many birds feed in mixed-species groups for protection.

Nevertheless, when I had the house in Sacto I'd put perches in the rose bed for the birds to sit and look for rose chafers. I'd enjoy watching them hunt. I also kept a tray for the bugs I'd pick off the plants, including hornworms, loopers, et al. Get the birds used to coming to your garden and they are great allies. And fun to watch too.

Full disclosure: I'm a volunteer naturalist at a bird observatory, so grain of salt and all that... ;o)

Dan

• beeman_gardener
    12 years ago

Might I suggest Starlings.
    Their flocks can run into the hundreds. They are known to pick ants and place them under their feathers. It's thought they get a kick from the Formic Acid the ants use for protection.

• planatus
    12 years ago

Gosh, you can't begin to assess this situation until you ID the birds. Also, bird populations have already changed from what they were in June, when they were all raising families, and they will change again in a few weeks, when the migrants start leaving. In May and June we get a lot of insect nabbing from birds, not so much now.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!