Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toller1

So, what do I have here?!

toller1
9 years ago

Last year I started a raised bed garden. Among other things, I planted some garlic. This year I moved the garden, and moved all the soil.

A plant that looked like garlic came up, though I didn't plant any. I figured I had missed a garlic bulb.

The last couple weeks the greens browned and died. Yesterday I pulled up the bulbs. They are not what I expected. There were 4 bulbs, a bit bigger than quarters. They smell faintly of garlic.

Any idea what I have here?

Comments (7)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

They look like single clove garlic bulbs which are known as "rounds".

Rodney

• calliope
    9 years ago

Agree, that's what my neglected garlic beds spit out this year.

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

They are rounds - plant them at the end of September, and they'll make very nice heads of garlic by next June, so long as reasonably good soil, not overcome by weeds, sufficient moisture, etc.!!

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

By any chance did you grow elephant garlic last year? Elephant garlic often forms rounds like that.

• toller1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very interesting; I didn't know garlic did that.

But why? Last year I planted cloves in the spring and nice heads developed. I have read about it on the internet, but it is confusing. Why did I get rounds this year?
    One thing I read said that they come from bulbils? I didn't notice any last year, but I probably didn't watch the garlic that well...
    Did they just selfseed, or selfplant, whatever.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

The reason why is insufficient water and fertilizer and possibly too much competition from weeds.

They didn't self-seed.

Instead, the cloves you planted just plain failed to develop the multi-clove head you wanted because of the above reasons.

• galinas
    9 years ago

If you let your garlic "flower", then you may have self seeded little bulbs that formed in the flower - they produce round bulbs first year.