Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Not the plant for those with OCD

paul_
9 years ago

(Obsessive Cleanliness Disorder)

The leaves on my Pinguicula were quite clean over the winter. But now that the weather has improved, out on the balcony they go. This is the result after only a day or so.

{{gwi:86328}}

{{gwi:86329}}

As you can see, the carnage amongst the local gnat and midge community was "tragically" severe.

Comments (6)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul, my OCD is also kicking in and I want to clean your plant too lol.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 14:18

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Oh so sad, d** buggers !!!

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

One of my carnivorous plants is a Lance-leaf sundew (Drosera adelae). It doesn't go dormant, so I grow it under lights during the colder months. Well, I finally moved it outside to my greenhouse and a few days later it was completely covered in gnats. It doesn't look very attractive at the moment, but I'm sure my sundew is loving it.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

o-oh! that might be very useful to me!
    (rubbing hands in excitement..)
    can we see the flower?
    which kind is it?
    does it eat gnats indoors? i've been having a greenhouse thrips invasion....would love to see those suckers stuck in goo!

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of my sundew. Every leaf that has dew on it is covered with these gnats. It caught some gnats indoors, but nowhere near this many. Tho, I didn't really have that much of a gnat problem over Winter. I wish I could say the same for Spring. We've gotten so much rain in the past few days here, that I wish I had many more of these plants, lol...

This post was edited by ToMMyBoY69 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 13:54

• paul_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Doesn't matter whether indoors or out -- a gnat is a gnat.

Two different kinds here, Petruska. The one taking center stage in the first photo is a hybrid ... Pinguicula Aphrodite. In the second photo, we have a species, Pinuicula moranensis.

As far as the flowers go, in the following photo, the lavender flowers that are out of focus are P. Aphrodite's, and the purple/magenta one is P. moranensis. 2nd photo is an in focus shot of Aphrodite's flower.

{{gwi:86330}}

{{gwi:86331}}

I had a number of large blooming-sized plants I sold off at an orchid show this past March. (Was rather surprised how quickly they sold being that it was an orchid show and these obviously weren't orchids.) Have some new starts growing up fast currently. Feel free to contact me via GW -- assuming they got the email thing fixed. (For some reason, after they updated their format, started having issues with folks not being able to email me through GW. Never used to have that problem. If it still doesn't work you can let me know.)