Houzz Logo Print
mesho_gw

spider plant baby problem

mesho
11 years ago

hello all

this is my first time I write to you

I have a really problem with spider plant babies

I have a spider plant with babies and the babies have good roots . I cut one off it's mother and put it in the soil (which is peat moss only)

I know that over-watering will cause root rot

so I have sprayer now and I spray the leaves of baby at morning and at night everyday . this will make the soil wet not soggy

the weather is so hot about 34 degree Celsius

I put the baby in bright area

no direct sunlight

even I do this but I feel that it will die

please help me .. there is no baby continued living with me I don't know what is the wrong

my questions are :

Is the soil type I used (peat moss) alone sufficient to it?

or I have to add another type of soil ?

Is my watering way good? or I should let it dry too much before watering again?

I see like it is wilting . is this due to the hot weather?

please look at the picture and tell me what should I do?

I wrote to you because there is no baby alive with all my attempts until now and the reason is unknown to me

thank you

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Do you have a little bit of bagged potting soil you can use? I can't think of anything much worse than plain peat moss to plant in. That's the first thing I would do. With a decent potting medium, you will be able to water properly.

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Peat will retain water for much longer than you'll want it to. Peat should really only be used to make heavier mixes for plants who like to stay a little more wet than usual.

That pot also looks too big for that baby.

• mesho
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you

so I should peapare a potting mix but please tell me what are the soil types and the ratio?

In my area where I live I can't find potting mix products . so I use peat moss only

about watering should I water my plant more often ?

• User
    11 years ago

It's the peat moss that's the problem. Watering more or less is not the issue, you need to pls. get it out of that mix into a much smaller pot. I'd stop spraying morning & night, that's not helping either.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I usually get spider babies going in water before putting in a pot. I know it's not necessary but that's how I've done it for about 40 years. There's a big bowl of them on the front porch now that need a pot.

11 years ago

Mesho, please don't worry about making your own potting mix. I'll bet that you can find a decent commercial potting soil already bagged up and ready to go. These potting mixes have peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, and other ingredients already mixed in.

In most locations, even grocery stores sell potting soils.

• mesho
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for you all

but how many times should I water it in the week?

11 years ago

WE can't tell you how many times per week you'll need to water. That will depend entirely on variables that are unique to your environment. So the honest answer to your question is that you need to determine (with your fingers) the moisture content of the potting medium and water only when your plant needs it!

In other words, I may have to water my baby spider plant three times a week....but purpleinopp finds that she only needs to water once every two weeks. Your potting medium should be watered thoroughly (please put the spray bottle down) and then allowed to dry out somewhat.

Be wary of any advice from someone who tells you to water a certain number of times per week.

• squidy
    11 years ago

Spider plants definitely don't mind drying out, so don't worry much about underwatering. Overwatering is much worse for a spider plant. Wait to water it until the pot is lightweight when you pick it up. You can also dig your finger down in to see how dry it is. Water when it is almost completely dry.

Otherwise it sounds like you're treating it well by keeping it in a shady but bright place! Good luck.