Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

brussel sprouts a complete failure

franktank232
13 years ago

I didn't get one sprout from 20 huge plants. One of them was pushing 5 ft tall... Plenty of moisture all summer, lots of sun, lots of heat...too much?

Do you guys think it was the soil? I put down lime, but maybe not enough. I was growing in pure compost with a thick layer of woodchips...Lets just say i use the same combo for blueberry plants and they do fine!

Next year i'm going to try dwarfs in containers and i'll get the soil good and basic. I've never failed this bad with a veggie!

I don't know the variety i used, but i'll dig through my seeds...maybe it was a crappy one.

Comments (34)

• twc015
    13 years ago

Do you know what type of Brussels sprouts you grew? I grew the Long Island Improved/Catskill and those plants did not produce anything for me. However, the Jade Cross hybrids were excellent. I grew both of these through the winter and got most of the sprouts in February.

There may have been too much heat when the sprouts were maturing. The plants don't like the temperatures above 80F when maturing.

Last year, I planted Brussels sprouts in heavy soil that did not have anything growing for a few years. I've read that the Brassicas like a heavy, firm soil and they grow great in my garden with clay-based soil.

The compost may also be a problem. I've never grown plants in pure compost, but it sounds as though it may be too rich since the plants were 5 feet tall. Mine only grew that tall when they were flowering from overwintering.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dug through my seeds... Long Island Improved from Jungs... I think i need to plant early summer and shoot for a fall harvest...

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Well, possibly too much Nitrogen -- 5 feet sounds really like rampant, excessive growth.

But, since it looks like a mild fall, at least for a while, go out there right away and cut out the top about 4 inches of the plant. That might induce the plants to still make some sprouts -- if the weather holds, they will grow pretty fast, and you might be able to get some big enough to harvest in about a month. Worth a shot.

• twc015
    13 years ago

I think the problem is the variety. Long Island Improved never works for me. These only make open leaves where the sprouts are. I would try a hybrid type next year.

• User
    13 years ago

The quality/consistency/time difference between most OP sprouts and hybrid sprouts are huge compared to other vegetables.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys/girls. I'll go with hybrids (i just grabbed a pack when i was at the Jungs store in Madison this past winter)... I'll do a lot of research and see what works for the pros. I did hit them with a good dose of N in the form of lawn fertilizer (no herbicides!)... They were huge. They had trunks and i had a hard time chopping them down. They looked so nice too. Oh well..they'll compost just fine!

• forpityssake
    13 years ago

I've always had great luck with Buttons.

Plant 'em as early as possible.

• makete
    13 years ago

Franktank, I know the feeling and feel for you. I have'nt had much luck with them, except for this year. I may get a meal or two from mine befor the snow flys. Mine seem to be doing better now that the weather has cooled. We have had a couple of frosts but they were covered with row covers all summer along, with our cabbage. I love those little buggers and have been disappointed by not getting any to grow. But I'm alittle on the stubborn side I guess, never had a watermellon or muskmellon til this year, after four years of trying.

Never give up! Never surrender! per Galaxy Quest.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK.. After some research it looks like the type i was growing is junk/garbage. It sounds like i want to go with "Jade Cross E" or "Bubbles" or another F1 hybrid.

Iowa State says not to start them until summer and plant out in early Aug??? That just seems way too late here. Michigan State says they don't work well up here...(too hot) and to shoot for a fall harvest.

• twc015
    13 years ago

I'm trying Bubbles this year. I definitely recommend Jade Cross. I'm not growing this year because I didn't have seeds and the stores were not selling them this year.

I think early August sounds right for your area for transplants. They do start off a little slow but once they grow to about a foot tall, they take off. The plants tolerate hard freezes well. With the early August planting, you would probably begin harvesting around mid-November. They will do fine in those frosts/freezes before then. You could probably keep harvesting until late December.

I plant my Brussels Sprouts around early September. I get harvests beginning in December and continuing through February. The plant flower in March since they are biennials. The cold here doesn't kill the plants but they don't grow if the high temperature is less than 50F

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll do that. I'll probably grow them out in pots (1 gallon) and transplant in early August. That way i can double crop onions or even tomatoes or something then shoot for a late fall harvest. I'll order seeds soon so i'm good to go next year.

• lilydude
    13 years ago

What do you do about the aphids on your sprouts?

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I never saw any on mine this year, but i did have both cabbage loopers and caterpillars... I just squished them when i saw them. I guess Bt works very will and i've heard DE works too along with more conventional insecticides.

• nancyjane_gardener
    13 years ago

The first year I tried them, I didn't know I had aphids cause I never wore my glasses out in the garden. Then someone mentioned how they attract aphids and I took my gkasses out there! Oh my! They were COVERED! LOL The next year I gave them a spray of water every afternoon and they were sorta OK, edible with some soaking. I'm sure we got a little extra protein in there!
    Even the chichi (mostly) organic store I go to doesn't have organic BS cause they are so chewed up!
    That's one vege I've kinda given up on. NT

• twc015
    13 years ago

I've never had aphids attack my Brussels Sprouts. I do, however, have to watch for caterpillars. Bt takes care of the caterpillars nicely.

• forpityssake
    13 years ago

FYI...My comment about Buttons, was in reference to Bubbles. Why I've always called them Buttons, is beyond me, but...I knew what I was talking about. LOL

I only grow them every 3 years. I have a real problem with loopers & find if I don't don't grow them often, I don't have much of a problem until late season. When the loopers get control...I pull the plants & burn 'em...looper's and all. :)

• makete
    13 years ago

I seem to get brussel sprouts in with the cabbage plants we order. This year we have 3 BS plants growing with the cabbage. We just cover with row cover and spraid with BT. Never had a problem with aphids, guess we are just lucky. But we sure saw a lot of those white butterflies flying around, and am glad that we covered them up. Cabbage is looking real nice, no real eatin up heads. And nice and solid. This is a winter type for saurekraut.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

If the plants are still there you could cut out the tops. They make delicious greens which taste quite different from sprouts. Only the tops, mind, the lower leaves will be tough. Also, obviously I'm not in your climate, but sprouts are a winter veg here and they are only just starting to produce now. They will not be much worth eating until they have had a frost on them.

• midsummersgarden
    13 years ago

I had a frustrating time with sprouts last year as well. Interesting about the different varieties, because mine were healthy/no bugs but I only got leaves, too. They were starts from a nursery and I don't know what kind.

I'd love to try them again, if only because they're my hands down favorite winter vegetable.

• mauirose
    13 years ago

The first year I tried them, I didn't know I had aphids cause I never wore my glasses out in the garden.

LOL NancyJane! I say leave the glasses in the garden, wearing them around the house is overrated ; )

• candogal
    13 years ago

My children (14 & 11) must be some of the few humans under 18 that like - even love - Brussel Sprouts. We were really hoping we'd get a bumper crop. I've never grown them until this year, and we're a little confused by them.

They're Jade Cross, and I started them when my books said to - way back when, earlier in the season than most anything. They went in the cold frame, were hardened off nicely. Into the garden they went - back in May. I have a limited area for a truly sunny garden, so they got put on the edge, where it's maybe 6-7 hours of sun, more in peak summer. It's also a newer bed, and my "native" soil is pretty horrible - builder's sandy special - but I amended heavily in fall & early spring with leaves & manure. They got OG veggie fertilizer monthly like everything else, and a couple times I gave them borax, like my books say to. They grew nicely, but no sprouts.

Recently, they have teeny tiny sprouts forming, but they're not even as big as my pinky nails. It was a really hot summer. It's getting cooler, but it's a warm fall. We're way past average first frost (sometimes it's 9/14), but we haven't had one yet.

Should I snip the tops off? That makes total sense - wonder why I hadn't thought of that. Will they keep growing, even after a freeze? I've heard they do OK & even taste better, but wasn't sure if they'd still grow. Is there some trick I've missed? Please help my strange children enjoy home grown B. sprouts. :-)

• nancyjane_gardener
    13 years ago

LOL NancyJane! I say leave the glasses in the garden, wearing them around the house is overrated ; )

Well, they're usually lost or on top of my head anyway!!!! =)

• makete
    13 years ago

Candogal, maybe next year you could try shade cloth over your BS. It will keep them a bit cooler and maybe that will help. I used row covers to keep the cabbage moth and catipillers (SP) off. It sure helped me this year. I will be harvesting some soon. I will never try to grow cabbage or brussel sprout again without it.

• adrock430
    13 years ago

If you have open heads where the sprouts should be, kind of like small branches...still pick them, they're really good! the stems are very sweet.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tried eating some of mine (raw)...they were BITTER beyond belief. Just horrible. I wonder if that is the soil being too acidic?

• adrock430
    13 years ago

try waiting until a heavy frost (should increase sugars), then broil shortly in the oven...it may work out for you, good luck!

• momzapolarbear
    13 years ago

I thought I had a problem with critters eating my brussel sprouts until one day I was watching my grandson playing in his "dirt pile" all of the sudden he got up and went over to the brussel sprouts picked a couple, popped them into his mouth, then filled his pockets and went back to playing. When I asked him why he said "I just love them baby cabbages! " He's 6 cant be mad at him for that. I still had more this year than before.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My son just turned 3 and loves them...the reason i tried growing them this year...plus they aren't cheap to buy. Never on sale for what i've seen. I've noticed the frozen brussel sprouts come from the US/Canada/Belgium...

I'll figure them out next year.

• glib
    13 years ago

I have a OP variety, Roodnerf. The plants are healthy but not huge, 3 to 4 feet with quarter size sprouts as we speak. I topped them yesterday. I think they are on schedule for mid-November...

• makete
    13 years ago

When you say, you top them, does that mean that you cut off the tops?

• glib
    13 years ago

yes, makete. Tonight I ate 2 tops with a little garlic and olive oil too.

• happyday
    13 years ago

At the compost site today I found four huge 4 foot tall brussel sprout plants, pulled out with roots still attached, several still have big sprouts on them about the size of a silver dollar.

If I cut the tops back and plant the roots, will they survive and regrow next year? We get a hard freeze from November to March at least.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

Frank,

Last year I didn't get any brussel sprouts either. I think it was a combo of a very rainy summer, and I planted pole beans and had them growing ten feet tall, which cut off the morning sun.

I had brussel sprouts two other years. I had a purple variety (not sure which) that was really flavorful. But the sprouts were small. And I had the traditional green ones too. I'm not home or I'd tell you what I put in this year. It is some kind of heirloom Christmas variety. We can definitely grow them here. In fact I have harvested them as late as early December. I bring them in before deep snow covers them.

I always start them indoors early. This year I didn't get them out until late May / June 1. The ones that I planted are doing well this year. Today I started three more seedlings indoors as I was aware of the fact you might be able to start them later; not sure how that works, but I'll find out. Spring came so late.

• stac5455
    12 years ago

I am so happy to see this thread resurface b/c i also have a hard time getting B.S. I start them around this time now and try to get something to harvest in the fall but just like alot of people i only get 3-4 foot stalks with nice large leaves. I just ran downstairs to see what variety i am starting this year and unfortunately i bought Long Island Improved and Catskill. UGH.... I may try to order Bubbles.