Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostalover360

Thanksgiving Cactus Re pot

hostalover360
15 years ago

Hi I am wondering what I can do for a Thanksgiving cactus that I just saved today. it was a slightly sick plant giving to my from my aunt. the cactus has some sections breaking off and seemed like the large sections were tipping over in the pot. this cactus NEEDED to be re potted and I know it's late but I had to re pot it. I noticed that there are a few flower buds on the cactus, will this hurt the cactus flowers,will the cactus still flower? more importantly will this hurt the Cactus in any way an suggestions or comments would be helpful!

Comments (4)

• jefe12234
    15 years ago

Well the most important thing to look out for is that the soil is draining well and not staying wet too long. If that's the case then it should do fine, although the blooms may fall off. They can be pretty sensitive to sudden changes. Cool nights and shorter days will induce blooming. Here is a good site for info on holiday cacti.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday cacti

• hostalover360
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well the flower buds are very tiny. I think I will not water it just yet. the soil was moist when I re potted it. so I think that will provide enough moisture do you think I'm doing the right thing? hopefully it does flower... it looked as though that one part may have has some slight root rot. but I think it will be fine what do you say?

• jefe12234
    15 years ago

Well I can't tell what condition the soil is in without seeing it, but if there is some root rot then the soil may have broken down and compacted so that it now holds too much water and not enough air. If this is the case, the best thing to do would be to remove all of the old soil from the roots, trim any dead ones, and repot in new porous soil. The plant may take a while to recover, but it will be much healthier in the long run. Poor soils are the number one source of problems for container plants. I'll provide a link to a very good soil recipe for succulents (and all houseplants for that matter). It performs much better and lasts much longer than peat based soils. If nothing else, consider adding a good 50% perlite or pine bark to your potting soil next time you repot. I have turned rotting rootballs into thick masses of white roots just by switching to a gritty, free-draining soil mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Succulent soil mix

• hostalover360
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have uploaded a photo at Flicker, you can feel free to look at it! Last night a branch fell off. while I was sleeping. Some of the leaf sections are shriveling, I think the one section of the Thanksgiving cactus may have some slight root rot. What can I do to bring it back? although some sections are shriveling some parts of the plant still look healthy. The pot I got it in the dirt was hard and very dry. I had to re pot it. I have not water it yet because I know if it has root rot that's not a good idea. the other 2 plants ( there are 3 in the pot ) looks great they are healthy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving cactus Photo

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!