Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlawithak_gw

what is wrong with this Thanksgiving (?) Cactus?

karlawithak
10 years ago

I am guessing two Thanksgiving cactus plants. I received the one on the right this summer. It has gotten the same care as my other cactus plants and still looks so dull and unhealthy (it came to me looking like this). Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

Bad soil &/or drainage problems. I'd unpot it to check to roots, maybe even pot it down size.

• User
    10 years ago

Bad soil &/or drainage problems. I'd unpot it to check to roots, maybe even pot it down size.

• User
    10 years ago

Apologies pls. for the double post --

I don't get it, looks like it posted before I went to work AND after I've come home -- odd, sorry!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Gremlins!

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

If you post, then later go to the same URL (from history or from browser autocomplete or whatever), then it posts again.

• goren
    10 years ago

I suppose if you do believe it could be due to the pot size....you could re-pot into a smaller one---it wont take much water to satisfy it and its probably sitting in too wet soil at the present time so re-potting might be what it needs.
    You might also give it more sun than maybe its getting---the sun is 5 weeks away from its lowest point so putting it directly in the window might perk it up.....but be careful about the sun's rays through the glass.
    NO FERTILIZER.....until it begins to grow---and then only as the growth suggests its needs it.
    Fresh potting soil will take care of any feeding it might need for the foreseeable future.

And you might give it a quarter turn every other day to ensure all parts receive adequate sun.

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Goren is right about potting down. Most of us prefer a bark base mix for Holiday Cactus for good success. Lots of discussion on this if you're interested.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Karl...What size is the pot?
    Sometimes, objects in photos look larger than they really are. Especially close-up pics.

Unless you watered before taking the picture, the soil is too wet..
    You said the TC was in the soil/pot when you got it??

Was it purchased at a store or from someone you know?

Most plant leaves yellow when 'x' plant is over-watered.

Think I see a bud on the plant w/yellow foliage.
    If you decide to re-pot, there's a chance, a good chance bud/s will not open..but it's worth it because if your TC remains in the soil/container, the entire plant will rot then die.

Of course it's up to you. Toni

• User
    10 years ago

Hi Toni,

These don't usually yellow from overwatering, just collapse &/or rot & die.

I'm the one who first suggested potting it down (not Goren). What's harming the plant most (as I said before) is likely bad drainage from bad mix (too peaty). Fixing things other than the soil is unlikely to help the pot. You need to pls. unpot it & show us what you find.

A better size pot would be one just a bit large than the existing rootball (which one can't assess w/out unpotting it, sorry).

More sun is NOT the answer, then she'll just have a cooked AND wilting plant, not helpful.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I agree, the roots are at the heart of the problem.
    Let us know what you discover.

Josh