Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Pots that aren't pots

Let's see some pots that started life with other purposes.

Echeveria 'Santa.' (With Senecio/Kleinia mandraliscae.) This thing isn't really a planter, was the lid to a mini conservatory. I lined it with window screen, filled with 'dirt,' added these 2 new plants and some little leaves (from other plants) that are making babies.

Comments (22)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think this wire mesh thing started life as a school locker accessory? Popped tha tag @ tha thrift store & added succulents. The blooming one is Schlumbergera truncata, Thanksgiving cactus. The fuzzy guy to the right is Kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang,' oblong light green leaves behind are Senecio crassissimus, orange leaves to the left are Kalanchoe longiflora. The separate pot to the right is an Echeveria.

• yasha
    9 years ago

Here's my Philodendron Brasil. It's "pot" is a Halloween bag in a laundry basket. You can kind of see the spider web print on the bag. I also have some spiders in little plastic cups in small glass bowls.

• yasha
    9 years ago

This little one. Its a see throw plastic cup with holes in the bottom put in the glass bowl that is also filled with gravel. Sadly it can't stay in there to long before it out grows its little home.

• paul_
    9 years ago

An appropriate drill bit can do wonders for container to pot conversion ....

{{gwi:111164}}

{{gwi:111165}}

{{gwi:111166}}

{{gwi:111167}}

{{gwi:111168}}

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

{{gwi:30019}}
    {{gwi:23188}}

This is a future bonsai I collected from the wild in a not so potty pot, with a flock of hens and chicks in a hypertufa slab - over-wintering in the garage.
    {{gwi:6665}}

{{gwi:3239}}
    {{gwi:12149}}
    {{gwi:3244}}

More hypertufa
    {{gwi:43075}}

Is a collection saucer a pot?
    {{gwi:2010}}
    {{gwi:3271}}
    {{gwi:2012}}
    {{gwi:9257}}
    {{gwi:2014}}
    {{gwi:13099}}

This IS a pot, but it's only about the size of a dime. The Turface it's planted in are fines that went through insect screen, and you can get a feel for how small the pot is by looking at the knap on the terry towel it's on.
    {{gwi:50805}}
    {{gwi:3272}}

Al

Original Author
    9 years ago

Some very cool pics up there, TY for the contributions!

These things were on clearance at Dollar General. I'm not sure how well they'll hold up outside, but for the price, willing to find out this spring.

Original Author
    9 years ago

And they actually have holes in the bottom. LOL!

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

This thing was a candleholder in its first life, left behind by the previous tenant. I knew in the moment I found it, it has a purpose other than holding a candle :)
    My BF wanted to throw it away with "all the rubbish" from the shed, now this is his favorite.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

wow. I LOVE these pic. Such creativity.
    Paul, re drill bit. I have a regular electric drill with regular drill bits that I use to drill holes in walls to mount things, etc.
    I've always wanted to re-purpose containers but thot this drill would shatter some ceramic pot.
    Do they make special drill bits for ceramic and other material?
    thanks.

9 years ago

The 2 types of drill bits appropriatre for drilling holes in pots are a diamond core drill for the highly vitrified (baked at very high temps) pots, and drill with several names for drilling clay pots fired at low temps, such as terra cotta. That drill is called a 3-point drill, spear point drill, or a spade drill, seen here:
    {{gwi:2118890}}

.... and these are diamond core drills:
    {{gwi:2118891}}

You can buy them at big box stores. They're not that expensive. They last a long time. They are best used with a steady stream of coolant from a squeeze bottle (contact lens solution bottles work great for this) or with the work surface barely submerged. IE, put the pot upside down in a tub and fill the tub with water until it just covers the work surface. If you use a spritzer or squirt bottle, a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water is an excellent coolant, and soapy water is better than plain water but not as good as the antifreeze mix. The coolant keeps the tool from over-heating, and in doing so, increases the life of the tool substantially - like triple or quadruple the number of holes you can drill.

Regular masonry bits are "ok" for drilling terra cotta or cement, but inappropriate for anything harder.

Al

• paul_
    9 years ago

As Al mentioned, there are different bits that are suitable for ceramics. I use one similar to those in the second photo. While they indeed aren't terribly expensive, cheap ones, IME, do not tend to last terribly long. The material being drilled is a big factor too (harder the material, the more wear and tear on the bit). Most of those I've drilled have been ceramics which are, as Al indicated, much harder material that terra cotta.

I drill mine submerged. I find it less tedious that the spritz bottle method ... especially for small pots-to-be.

I will add that when drilling a terra cotta or ceramic container -- DON'T RUSH IT. Try to maintain LIGHT, firm pressure. If you try to "hurry things along" by putting more pressure, you rapidly increase the risk of shattering the pot.

And although this probably does not need said, I will say so anyhow ... WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

9 years ago

Good point about the pressure. It also increases the life of the tool. I'm always admonishing the guys at work to "Let the tool do the work." No good comes from trying to force your way through a drilling or cutting project - unless maybe someone might be using an axe.

Al

• Pagan
    9 years ago

We call her Talullah.

{{gwi:2118892}}

Long-time lurker,
    Pagan

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    9 years ago

Great ideas and tips. Absolutely love Talullah. I prob. would have called her Medusa. lol

• User
    9 years ago

Holy crap. Tallulah is awesome.

I love the plants when they are in converted kitchen stuff, like tea pots. Very pretty.

Al, this must be said, your cactus looks like a male body part. Lol.

9 years ago

{{gwi:50805}}

I just thought it looked like a really little cactus .....

Al

• User
    9 years ago

Lol - Al, I can't tell if you are joking! Not that cactus...the one outside :-)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

LOL!!! I thought you were talking about the lite cactus too RioSeven! I just saw it! That's HILARIOUS!!! You guys just made my day!!! I got quite the chuckle!!! ðÂÂÂ

• User
    9 years ago

My BF said the caption for the photo should be "what a prick!"

Ah, nothing like dirty humour at the holidays :-)

• GregNow
    9 years ago

Very nice guys! Everything looks good so far but Talullah is something else. Nicely done fakechuchi!

• paul_
    9 years ago

It's just happy to see you, Rio.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

haha good laughs.
    thank you Paul and Al for the info re the bits.