Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luke_oh

Pixie Crunch trees?

luke_oh
12 years ago

I'm looking for a source for bareroot Pixie Crunch apple trees. Anyone know where I can find them and anyone have experience with this apple? Thanks, Luke

Comments (12)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I ordered one from Gurney's a couple of years ago. Gurney's is just the order taker, it actually is grown and shipped by Stark Bros in Lousiana, Missouri. Quality was fine. Alas, it grew one year, then got eaten by voles. In theory, it was "guaranteed forever" no matter what, even again voles I think, so I guess I could see if they would send another, not sure, would have to dig out the paperwork.

• brookw_gw
    12 years ago

Gurneys/Henry Fields--same thing. Stock usually runs on the smaller side but is adequate. My 3 yr old Pixies are over 8 ft tall and are well shaped and healthy, so I'm satisfied. Their guarantee is excellent. I mentioned to them that I lost several hundred strawberries to drowning. They insisted on replacing them even though I stressed it was beyond their control.

• alan haigh
    12 years ago

But if they come from Stark Bros, why not order it from them directly? They probably save their largest trees for their own sales.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Stark doesn't sell some of these items under their own name.

Stupid, but that's how they are playing the game.

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I checked both Gurneys and Henry Fields and their pricing is the same, standard tree 2 to 3 ft. $34.95, standard Premium (no size given) $41.99, Li'l Big standard (no size given) $44.99 and Li'l Big premium (no size given)$59.99. Not very clear on the size discription, but I figure that its a pretty small tree. I'd rather know the diameter. Can't see buying a tree this expensive. Thanks, Luke

• garedneck
    12 years ago

You can order them and a variety of other plants through stark brothers who grows special order trees for many private label resellers, but to get the commercial division to do it you may need to order 100 or more at a time.

My full size pixie crunch is 3 years old and yet to bear fruit, and its growth was stunted by fire blight last year forcing severe pruning to cut it all out.

• shawnee
    12 years ago

Try Cummins. Had good luck there and they have HARDY stock from upper New York. They carry Pixie Crunch in the Bll8 rootstock, too.http://www.cumminsnursery.com/about.htm

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shawnee, Thanks, you are right. I called them this morning and they have them on G30, G11 and MM111. I appreciate the information and this forum has always been great for me.
    Thanks Again,
    Luke

• tedgrowsit
    12 years ago

Luke, I have a pixie crunch that has been in the ground for several years now. It is the li'l big tree. It probably goes 8-10 feet or so. It gave me a nice crop this year and last. They are absolutely great little apples, breakingly crisp, sweet and juicy, as well as pretty as a picture, also immune to scab, susceptible to cedar apple rust. Gurney's generally has their $25 coupon toward a $50 purchase, basically cutting the cost in half. Of course you still have to pay shipping. It is definitely worth the space it occupies.
    Ted

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ted, Thanks for the info on Pixie Crunch. I found them at Cummins. Looking forward to these apples. Thanks, Luke

• tedgrowsit
    12 years ago

Luke, if you are still there, one more note on Pixie Crunch: As of October 13, these apples have lost a lot of their flavor. They are great right off the tree, but after about a month of storage they have lost their sweet punch. They are still crisp, juicy and quite edible though.
    Ted

• luke_oh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ted, That's good information to know about. Lynd Orchards n Colombus, OH says it's a very popular apple and are sold out as fresh eating. I really like first hand information, nothing like it. Thanks again. luke