Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
contrms

Another year for parsnips?

contrms
13 years ago

Last spring I planted parsnip seeds (I'm in zone 5). They grew, but never amounted to much. I left them in the ground all winter, and their tops are once again green. If I leave them in place, will they continue to grow? Can I hope to harvest decent-sized parsnips in the fall? Or should I just pull what's there, and try my luck with another vegetable? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• pnbrown
    13 years ago

They are bolting for seed production now, so the roots are already not very edible. However the flowering display is quite impressive and they will reseed themselves if allowed for both fall and spring germination.

• feijoas
    13 years ago

Over here, we plant parsnip seed in late summer, for winter through to spring production.
    If you have the space, I'd let at least one plant flower. The insects go crazy for parsnips.
    Saving the seed's a bit iffy, since you could be selecting for small, bolty parsnips.
    Let fresh parsnip seed hit the ground, and watch its reputation for germination issues go out the window!

• pnbrown
    13 years ago

I agree, self-sowing parsnip makes a difficult control situation in terms of selection. I find that the seed that germinates in fall (situation is probably different in NZ where ground does not freeze) tends to be very bolty, the ones that germinate in spring less so. Still there is a large amount of bolting, I have to pull most of them. I try to leave only the biggest, of course, to go through the full cycle but it isn't so easy once you have hundreds of em.

• contrms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Since my vegetable gardening space is limited, I'll be pulling them out. Might just leave ONE---just to see the flower!

• jolj
    13 years ago

Thanks contrms for this thread!
    Being a Southern boy, there are a lot of plants we do not
    traditionally grown here. No by my family any ways.
    Kale, beets & parsnips are a few that I tried last year.
    Three parsnips made it up, but only one made it till Spring.
    Now I will let it go to seed & see what will happen.
    I should put down some compost now, so it will be mixed in the soil by the time the seeds fall.

• pnbrown
    13 years ago

Parsnips do not like extended hot weather and warm soil, so I suspect most of SC is effectively out of the zone for production of good eating-quality roots.

• jolj
    13 years ago

pnbrown, thanks.
    I will let you know if it does anything.
    I was told to plant it in Fall or early Spring, so that holds with what I was told.

• nandina
    13 years ago

Just a recollection (that is OT) of one of the original Victory Garden programs which featured two English friends who engaged in an annual parsnip competition. Each planted one parsnip seed in a soil-filled 5' tall chimney flu. Both carefully tended his 'crop' until fall when they extracted the parsnips to measure root length and declare a winner. The program showed that each gardener spent most of a day carefully digging his huge parsnip root, almost one grain of dirt at a time, from the confines of the narrow container protecting the root from breakage. It was a fun program filled with the dedication and humor of British gardeners. How I miss those early Victory Garden programs....

• pnbrown
    13 years ago

Those english prize-growers are nutty, aren't they? Similar to the prize pumpkin craze in north america. The pumpkin obsession goes back to the early 19th century, I think.