Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmsr

An interesting article, and quite long

Kimmsr
15 years ago

How Can Organic Vegetable Growers Increase Soil Organic Matter Without Overloading the Soil with Nutrients?

by Brian Caldwell

Cornell Cooperative Extension Educator

South Central NY Area Vegetable and Fruit Program

The problem

This is an issue that is just beginning to be recognized. It arises from a common practice among organic

vegetable growersthat of applying compost or manure to vegetable fields nearly every year in order

to fertilize crops and raise soil organic matter (OM) levels. While this is a beneficial practice in the short

term, in the long run it can lead to over-fertilization and water pollution. The problem is similar to over fertilization that occurs on livestock farms with insufficient land on which to properly spread their manure.

On most new land that is just being put into organic vegetable production, it is common and quite worthwhile to apply a big "shot" of nutrients and organic matter through heavy applications of compost and manure. After the first heavy application, amounts can be reduced in subsequent years. However, manure or compost is still usually applied at a rate that will supply at least the necessary nitrogen (N) needed for the next crop, which means that extra phosphorous (P) and potassium (K) beyond the crop requirements will be added to the soil. Over the years, soil P and K levels build to moderate, then high or excessive levels. The soil is out of balance. In fact, if manure or compost is added specifically to increase soil organic matter levels, which is a goal for many organic farmers, then usually all nutrients will be added beyond crop requirements.

LetÂs look at an example from my own farm. "Field 1" is a small field of about 1/5 acre which had been the farmstead garden for many years before I moved to Hemlock Grove Farm in 1977. It had higher nutrient levels than our other fields. I have soil test data (Table 1) from this field over a period of 21 years, starting in 1978. I also have records of the nutrient-carrying materials I added to this field for 16 years, which can be extrapolated for the 21year period, since I used similar practices over the whole time. Though the field is small, all data have been standardized on a per acre basis for comparison.

Year Soil P Soil K Soil pH Soil OM

1 25 400 6.1 3.2

2 37 400 6.0 3.4

12 43 515 6.7 3.3

21 82 685 7.0 3.7

Table 1. Soil Test Data, Field 1

This data shows the problem. Soil nutrient levels are all in the high range after 21 years, which seems good, but if I continue the same practices, they will get too high. Phosphorus levels are already very high, and going up faster than anything else. (Cornell test values are on a scale that reads lower than typical values, so my current P level would probably be measured at over 500# by most labs). High soil P does not hurt crop plants, but can contribute to water pollution. Note that soil organic matter levels have increased significantly, from 3.2 to 3.7%Âbut proportionally much less than P and K. Soil nitrogen levels are so variable because of weather conditions that they are not routinely measured, but OM level gives an indication of how much is stored in the soil.

Using guestimates as to the nutrient composition of the applied compost, hay mulch, manures, etc (but not including N from cover crops) and of the amounts that typical mixed crop vegetable harvests may have removed over the period, IÂve made a rough nutrient budget for this field over the 21 years.

The field did not seemingly get heavy applications of organic fertilizers, averaging only 6 tons per acre per year of beef or sheep manure, with occasional additional applications of hay mulches, commercial and homemade compost, and wood ashes. (In retrospect, the 500#/A of rock phosphate we put on one year looks like a mistake.) Adding all this up, though, gives an estimated total N-P-K addition of 3500-2200-3650 to this field over 21 years. I further estimate crop removal at 1500-200-2000 over that time (note how little P is actually removed by vegetable crops). So, net additions to this field were around 2000-2000-1650 pounds per acre of N-P-K. No wonder soil test values went up!

Where do excess nutrients go? Extra added P and K are mostly held in the soil in unavailable forms, but

most nitrogen is not. Some of the nitrogen is held in the increased amount of soil organic matter after 21

yearsÂa .5% increase holds about 400# of N. But most (over 1500#/A or about 70#/A/year in this case)

of the excess nitrogen will not be held in the soil, but will leach into groundwater or volatilize into the air.

In many situations, such as typical home gardens, this is not a problem, since only a relatively small amount of nitrogen is in question. But if this practice is done on a widespread basis or on large farms, there is potential for significant groundwater pollution. The same situation occurs when excessive chemical fertilizer is applied.

I believe that there is no good reason to continue to increase these soil nutrient levels. The field produces

good yields and quality. It has clearly reached a "mature" stage in which heavy applications of

brought-in organic materials are unsound. A field like this needs an approach that produces crops and

maintains soil OM levels without the "booster" type approach.

How do we raise soil OM levels without causing this problem?

High levels of soil organic matter are desirable in many ways. Higher OM improves soil water holding

capacity, aeration, infiltration, nutrient holding and release, and more. But how do we achieve high soil

OM sustainably over the long term? And how high should it be?

Virgin soil had much higher organic matter levels than current cultivated soils. How did high soil organic

matter levels arise naturally (presumably, without groundwater pollution)? The answer is: very slowly,

and in the absence of tillage and crop removal. Intensive tillage is the primary culprit in "burning up"

soil organic matter at a very high rate, requiring that we add outside sources of OM to the soil. Under

natural, untilled forest or prairie conditions, highly carbonaceous organic litter (leaves, etc.) is added to

the soil surface each year, and roots die within the soil. No additional P or K is added to the soil system,

except what weathers slowly from the rocks. Nitrogen is added in small amounts from precipitation and

bacterial fixation, but held tightly in the vegetation and decomposing surface litter. Small amounts of nutrients are sequestered away each year in humus and "locked up" OM that is not available to decomposers or oxygen. Nutrients cycle around and around, with relatively slow breakdown of soil OM, and accumulation of high-carbon OM on the soil surface. In this way, soil organic matter can build up very gradually over thousands of years, to levels around 10% in many virgin mineral soils.

When this land is cleared and repeatedly tilled, OM levels drop rapidly down to less than 2% in the

absence of manure or compost applications, a sick soil. But remember, our real goal for a farm field is to

preserve or increase soil quality, not just its OM content. We tend to be in a frame of mind that says,

"the more OM, the better." While there is some truth to this, under any given tillage and cropping regime

there is an "equilibrium" level of soil OM, generally, the less tillage, the higher this equilibrium level. OM

levels can be maintained above equilibrium only by continuous heavy applications of compost or manure

that carry far more nutrients than the crops can use. This is wasteful and leads to pollution over the long

run. (The Biodynamic goal of the farm as a self contained organism helps to avoid this problem,

because it discourages importation of large amounts of nutrients.) Research at the Rodale Research Center has shown that soil biological activity, quality, and fertility can be very high, even at modest (2.5-3.0%) soil OM levels, if large portion of the OM is in the "active" form, i. e. in the process of being broken

down. So, the key soil quality strategy in farming is not merely accumulating a high soil OM level, but

cycling it rapidly and effectively. It is counterproductive to shoot for virgin soil OM levels on tilled farm

fields.

It is important to realize that the constant production of tilled crops, especially vegetables which return few residues to the soil, is the harshest way to treat your soil. Sod crops in rotation are the only tried and true way to increase long term soil OM levels without negative "side effects." Sod accomplishes this because the soil is not tilled, and extensive root systems are formed. Traditional field crop rotations often involved applying manure or compost to a field only once in every 4- or 5- year cycle. (A typical example is Corn- Small Grain/Hay-Hay-Hay, with manure applied before the corn.) Organic matter levels and soil

nitrogen were greatly enhanced by at least 2 years of a sod hay crop. Phosphorus and potassium did not build up in such systems, but were instead mostly cycled around the farm through feed and manure.

An ideal rotation for vegetable growers, from a soil and nutrient standpoint, would be to substitute vegetable crops for the heavy feeding (field corn) and light feeding (small grains) crops in this traditional

rotation. Heavy feeding vegetable crops would include intensive greens, brassicas, sweet corn, leeks,

cucurbits, etc., while light feeders would be root crops, beans and peas, etc. A sod crop of legumes and

grasses will provide a maximum OM contribution, while supplying its own nitrogen. If hay is harvested,

there may be a net removal of P and K. These nutrients can then either be sold off the farm, or fed or

otherwise recycled within the farm.

An experimental method of increasing soil OM without heavy nutrient loading is to use high-lignin,

relatively low nutrient OM sources such as wood chips. These interact in a limited way with the soil,

because of their high lignin content and low surface to volume ratio, but do provide an excellent OM source over the long term. Cornell did a 15-year study in the 1950Âs and 1960Âs in which 10 T/A/year of hardwood chips was added to experimental plots of Honeoye silt loam, a rich soil type. Soil OM and other soil quality levels were dramatically raised, with some positive (and some limited negative) effects on vegetable crop yields. Little soil nitrogen was "tied up", contrary to expectations. (G. R. Free, "Soil Management for Vegetable Production on Honeoye Soil with Special Reference to the Use of Hardwood Chips," New YorkÂs Food and Life Sciences Bulletin #2, October, 1971.)

Recently, Laval University, Quebec research on positive results from the use of chipped hardwood

branch wood ("ramial") was reported in the Maine Organic Farmer and Gardener magazine (Caron,

Lemieux, and LÂachance, "Regenerating Soils with Ramial Chipped Wood,"12/98-2/99 issue). The

authors stressed the importance of fungus organisms in the soil. There is growing opinion from some soil

scientists, notably Dr. Elaine Ingham of Oregon State University, that many of our agricultural soils are

overbalanced toward bacterial, rather than fungal, populations because of the highly available nutrient

sources we use. There may be other benefits to favoring soil fungiÂperhaps establishing large and

varied fungal populations in our soils could also help reduce fungal pathogen populations.

Comments (14)

• marshallz10
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Interesting. We make about 200 tons a year of compost for use on our organic market farm, a total of 3.5 acres. The acre of vegetables receive about 100 tons applied approximately 3 times a year. (We farm vegetables, herbs and small fruit.) The orchard receives the other 100 tons in late winter after pruning and cleanup and before renewing the mulch cover with chipped tree prunings. We no longer have to fertilize the orchard (other than new trees).

Years ago I moved from bacterial dominated compost to fungal dominated compost made with much woody chipped materials and a minimum volume of green material. Prior to field applications, the compost is sifted to remove larger wood fragments, these saved to "innoculate" new compost windrows.

We have been pleased with the apparent positive results of this change, especially much less soil-borne diseases and pests

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    15 years ago

Marshall,
    To have more soil fungal activity seems strange when one is desiring to reduce harmful soil and foliar fungals, and yet I presume it works that way. Perhaps they crowd out bad fungals by root colonization by good fungals!?

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

There are good fungi and bad fungi. If you leave them alone, the good ones "win" by eating the bad ones.

That is an interesting article. Do you have the date it was published? At first I was concerned that the author equates compost and manure. To me that's like confusing concrete and cement. One is made from the other. I guess he's saying that the resulting compost has the same levels of P and K as the original manure??? Not sure.

I'm also not sure the author understands the soil biology. He only tipped his hat to microbes at the very end of the article. How does the N, P and K tied up in the living microbes become a gas to blow away or wash through the soil to pollute water? I can see that if you have too much protein decomposing all at once but that doesn't happen in finished compost. Now manure is a different subject. That's one reason it should be composted.

A Texas cattle rancher I've talked with gets about 12-24 wet tons of fresh dung per acre per year. That gets done in four passes of cattle across each of 15 pastures. It all gets buried within 24 hours of 'deposition' by dung beetles, thus it is not exactly applied on top of the soil. Plus it is processed by the slimes exuded by the dung beetles so it's not like the cow patties you see in a field at all.

• peter_6
    15 years ago

I have applied 1/2" of compost every year for about ten years in a community garden plot. Both P and K have increased to what a soil test would say is out of balance. I don't mind the high P so long as I can balance it with S. But the high K is disturbing. So I apply a bit of gypsum to knock it down, but still it's too high. I think I need to do less compost and more ground covers and shredded leaf mulches. And I'm with marshallz in using more structural carbon and less soft carbon in the compost, not only for fungi, but also for lignin which is the foundation of humus. Regards, Peter.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Here's the link to the article on ramial chipped wood.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    15 years ago

I have seen those dung beetles rolling a ball of manure, but nothing on the scale of those Texan beetles. I wonder if they are a southern thing or organic pasture thing or both

I am still wondering why high K might be undesirable unless it is just not necessary. The main thrust of the article seems to be saying that the idea of piling on more and more outside fertilizer and OM is not all good and is often lacking enough fungal activity. That may happen in a garden but not likely on farm fields of any size.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Dung beetles are killed by the deworming medicines like Ivermectin. If you have cattle and don't want to use deworming meds, then one common approach is to get pretty strict about culling for disease. You take the sick animal, the momma, and any sibs to the abattoir. Soon enough you have an entire farm of healthy genetics. If you get up early enough in the morning sometimes you can see the sky darken with dung beetles flying in.

• Kimmsr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received the article in the last 3 months and I thought it was something written in the last year, but in saving I must have deleted the dates, so I can't say for sure when it was written.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I found a reference to the article as follows:

Organic farmer and Tioga County Cooperative Extension Agent Brian Caldwell contributed an article to the Spring 2000 Northeast Organic Farming AssociationNew York newsletter, "How can organic vegetable growers increase soil organic matter without overloading the soil with nutrients?" Though he doesn't have his own research program, he has just completed work on stale seedbed weed control that is relevant to organic growers.

So the research must have been conducted prior to 2000. At that time the concept of the Soil Foodweb was in its infancy. I wonder what he's done more recently??

• Kimmsr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought his observations on tilling quite good.

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

Good article.

My two gardens have been just what he suggests: a major shot of composted manure at the outset, with diminishing amounts afterwards, along with minimal tillage and much layering of high-lignin materials. As an interesting additional experiment, one is irrigated and one is not. Last season Hickory King field corn produced very well without irrigation on ground that has had no outside input in at least five years. Equally well as the corn in fertilized ground with irrigation in the other garden.

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

and here is a quite interesting and complementary piece:

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
    Cultivating diversity underground for better yields above - http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0903/daviddouds.shtml

* To: lfl@intrex.net
    * Subject: Cultivating diversity underground for better yields above - http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0903/daviddouds.shtml
    * Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:24:01 -0700
    * Delivered-to: lfl@intrex.net
    * Organization: http://market-farming.com -- Venaura Farm
    * User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007

http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0903/daviddouds.shtml

Cultivating diversity underground for better yields above
    Research at The Rodale Institute® demonstrates how sustainable farming practices can boost yields by nurturing beneficial soil fungi.

By Laura Sayre

About this series:

As some of you may know, The Rodale Institute®, which publishes The New Farm®, is home to the longest running field trials in the country comparing organic and conventional systems of farming called The Rodale Institute Farming Systems Trial® (FST). The data from that 23 years of research is a real treasure trove of insight into the economic, ecological and agronomic benefits of organic farming.

In addition to this long-running Farming Systems Trial, we have a variety of other research in progress at The Institute. David Douds, as youll read in this story, has been studying soil fungi here at The Institutes research farm for 15 years. Were engaged in no-till research, weed research, compost tea research, composting research, water quality research, and much more.

Until now, much of the light were generating here on our research farm has been hidden under the proverbial barrel, but were taking off the barrel and busting it up for firewood. Were going let the light of the amazing research being done here shine on farmers, consumers and environmental activities.

Over the next year well be running a series of stories, about one a month, on the significance of our research ... and its practical applications. That includes a few stories on equipment constructiona front-mounted roller for no-till, and a compost turner converted from a junked 18-wheeler.

So sit tight, and be prepared to be amazed, starting with David Douds discoveries about how you can increase vegetable yields by 50 percent using homemade fungal inoculants.

Enjoy,

Chris Hill
    Executive Editor

p.s. Interested in hearing more about how you can take part in the mycorrhizae revolution? Click here and let us know. Send your name, phone number and e-mail address with your note so we can follow-up with you.

"Overall, Douds work suggests that a small amount of mixed MF inoculant can be substituted for a large amount of fertilizer--with no loss of yield, greatly reduced environmental impact, and lower production costs."

Home-grown mycorrhizal inoculum can be produced at a fraction of the cost of purchasing commercial mixes. "I've done some preliminary calculations," says Douds. "The on-farm system produces 100 million propagules for approximately $50, not counting the cost of the farmer's labor, which is fairly minimal. To purchase 100 million propagules as listed on the bag of some commercial mixes would cost anywhere from $8,000 to $40,000."

FACT SHEET: Mycorrhizae

Above: USDA soil microbiologist David Douds with a carrot root-mycorrhizal fungi culture. Under the leadership of Dr. Douds, field trials have shown yield gains of as much as 50% in the presence of healthy mycorrhizae populations. Now Douds is developing a practical, low-cost method for on-farm production of mycorrhizal soil innoculant, promising higher yields with lower nutrient inputs. (Photo by Peggy Greb, courtesy of the Agricultural Research Service Photo Unit.)

September 29, 2003: You've read the amazing facts and figures: one teaspoon of healthy topsoil can contain millions of individual microorganisms, all playing a part in the functioning of the soil ecosystem. But how much do you really know about the action of those diverse species and how to maximize their presence in your own fields?

Ongoing research at The Rodale Institute® sheds light on one important component of the soil community--mycorrhizal fungi--and its impact on agricultural production. Under the leadership of Dr. David Douds, a soil microbiologist with the USDA's Agricultural Research Service, field trials have shown yield gains of as much as 50% in the presence of healthy mycorrhizae populations. Now Douds is developing a practical, low-cost method for on-farm production of mycorrhizal soil inoculant, promising higher yields with lower nutrient inputs.

A mycorrhizal primer

Mycorrhizae are soil-dwelling fungi that live in and around the roots of plants ('myco-rrhizae' means 'fungus-root'). The fungi and the plants form mutually beneficial associations in which the fungi receive carbohydrates from the plants and the plants receive nutrients and other benefits from the fungi. Since the first mycorrhizae species were described by a German botanist in the 1880s, researchers have discovered that approximately 80% of all land plants form mycorrhizal associations. The relationship is so widespread, in fact, that it is sometimes referred to as 'the Universal Symbiosis,' and is believed to have played a key role in the evolutionary transition from aquatic to terrestrial plant forms.

Today, scientists divide mycorrhizae into two major types: endomycorrhizae, which penetrate and colonize plant roots, and ectomycorrhizae, which form sheaths around plant roots. Whereas ectomycorrhizal relationships tend to be highly specialized--with some 6000 fungal species worldwide associated with tree species of the oak, beech, and pine families, among others--endomycorrhizal associations are more generalized as well as more widespread, with fewer than 150 fungal species opportunistically colonizing the roots of the vast majority of terrestrial plant families. Ectomycorrhizal inoculants are already widely used in commercial forestry, but the possibility of developing endomycorrhizal inoculants for production agriculture is a more recent idea.

"These are beneficial soil fungi that colonize the roots of plants and help them take up phosphorus" and other immobile soil nutrients, such as zinc and copper, Douds explains. "The fungus colonizes the root and it also grows out into the soil; the part of the fungus that's in the soil acts as an extension of the root system, to explore a greater volume of soil and take up nutrients and bring them back into the root."

In addition to facilitating nutrient uptake, some mycorrhizae secrete a gluey substance, called glomalin, which helps develop soil structure and soil aggregation; others may help plants fight disease. Yet because endomycorrhizae are 'obligate symbionts'--they must have living plant roots to colonize in order to complete their life cycle--their numbers will decline under conventional agricultural monocultures, which have living crop covers fewer months of the year than organic rotations. The drop in yields typically seen after the first year of cultivation on virgin prairie or forest soils is probably attributable in part to the loss of native mycorrhizae, Douds says.

Fifteen years of research prove benefits of fungi

Douds has been conducting research in collaboration with The Rodale Institute since 1989, his first year at the Agricultural Research Service's Eastern Regional Research Center in Wyndmoor, on the outskirts of Philadelphia. "Some employees of The Institute farm came down to our research center as part of a kind of an interagency show-and-tell about research programs and facilities and what all we could do to help each other," Douds recalls. "Rhonda Janke"--The Institute's research agronomist at the time--"gave a presentation about The Rodale Institute Farming Systems Trial," a side-by-side comparison of organic and conventional production systems. Douds recognized it as a great opportunity to study endomycorrhizal associations.

"Later that year I started sampling, and right off learned that [the soils under] the conventional farming systems had fewer mycorrhizal fungi than the soils under the low-input farming systems. So right away we all got excited and we branched out from there."

Since that first season, Douds' work at The Rodale Institutes 333-acre experimental farm has progressed in three overlapping phases:

In the first phase, from 1989 to 1995, Douds and his team surveyed native mycorrhizal fungi (MF) populations at Rodale and examined the impact of different agricultural practices--including tillage regimes, crop rotations, and soil amendments--on those populations. The second phase, which is still ongoing, looks at the utilization of MF by crop plants, comparing yields in the presence and absence of different MF species. The third phase seeks to apply those findings by devising a simple, on-farm MF inoculum production system, so that farmers can harness the benefits of endomycorrhizae without spending lots of money on commercial mixes. (Commercial products already on the market include Bio/Organics Endomycorrhizal Inoculant [$79.95 for 3 lbs, labeled to treat 500 plants], Plant Success Mycorrhizae Tablets [$19.95 for 100 tablets, labeled to treat 50 plants up to 1 ft tall], and Earthroots VAM Fungi by First Fruits LLC [$15 for 3 lbs, labeled to treat 200 seedlings].)

On-farm production of mycorrhizal inoculant in test enclosures at The Rodale Institutes farm. Douds chose bahiagrass as a host plant "because it's a tropical grass and the first frost will kill the shoot growth"--so it won't escape to become a new local weed and won't harbor any pests or pathogens that might affect either resident crops or northern native grasses.

Agronomic practices that boostor depress
    mycorrhizal levels

Although the first phase of Douds's research found larger and more diverse MF populations in organically-managed soils than in conventionally-managed ones, it also revealed how specific agronomic practices can boost or depress MF levels.

"Over-wintering cover crops. . . are very beneficial to mycorrhizal fungi," Douds notes, whereas "tillage disrupts the mycorrhizal fungi in the soil and serves to decrease the initial colonization of the plants." Based on these findings, Douds emphasizes that all farmers, organic or conventional, can take steps to nurture the MF already present in their fields: reduce tillage, he says, use fungicides sparingly, and--most important--maximize cover cropping. "Over-wintering cover crops give the MF a host plant to colonize when there's no cash crop growing on the soil," Douds explains.

In the coldest part of the year the MF go dormant, but during warm spells in early spring and late fall, the MF will try to grow, and can exhaust their reserves if they find no plant hosts. "During these periods. . . the fungus is still respiring, it's still burning up its carbohydrate storage in the spores, it's burning up the lipids that were stored," leaving it "less viable when the time comes finally for the crop plant to be present." A cover crop or even just a weedy fallow will maintain healthy MF populations, which can then benefit the cash crop coming on to the field.

Crop rotations are another factor to consider, since a handful of crop species belong to plant families that do not form mycorrhizal associations (said to be 'non-mycotrophic'), including the Brassicaceae (rape, broccoli, cabbage, turnips, etc), the Chenopodiaceae (beets, spinach), and the Polygonaceae (buckwheat). Not only will these crops not benefit from the presence of MF, but MF levels in the soil will be depressed after these crops are grown, potentially showing an effect on any mycotrophic crops which follow.

Potatoes and peppers inoculated with mycorrhizae get yield boosts of up to 50 percent!

In the second phase of his research, looking at the impact of MF on crop yields, Douds began inoculating plants in the greenhouse and then tracking their performance in the field.

"We had some plants that were inoculated with a control mix with no inoculum, another one inoculated with a mix of mycorrhizal fungi, and another inoculated with just one species commonly present in commercial inoculum," Douds explains. "We transplanted them into the Compost Utilization Trial,"--another ongoing experiment at The Rodale Institute--"and we found over the course of the 3-year experiment that the mixture of mycorrhizal fungi increased the yield of marketable-sized peppers up to a maximum of 34% over the control. Last year we tried inoculating potatoes, and we got up to a 50% increase over the controls."

David Douds and a research intern dig potatoes in this season's mycorrhizal test plot at the Rodale Experimental Farm. In last year's trials, potatoes grown with mycorrhizal fungi showed yield increases of as much as 50%. Other crops known to respond dramatically to mycorrhizal colonization include citrus, onion, and strawberries.

This year they are repeating the potato trial, measuring yields under four different treatments: one with no added MF; one with a commercially available MF; one with a mixed MF inoculant grown in a leaf compost and vermiculite medium; and one with a mixed MF inoculant grown in a dairy manure compost and vermiculite medium. Overall, this work suggests that a small amount of mixed MF inoculant can be substituted for a large amount of fertilizer--with no loss of yield, greatly reduced environmental impact, and lower production costs.

One unexpected finding of Douds' work at Rodale "is that mycorrhizae can be used to increase the yield of crops even in soils that are very high in phosphorous." Some of the soils at the Rodale Farm which have been heavily composted, Douds notes, "have available P in excess of 300 parts/million"--well above the level at which mycorrhizal responses are typically seen, around 20-50 ppm available P. "The generalization would be that P as high as 300 would be a situation in which the plant can take up all the P that it needs by itself without relying on the mycorrhizal fungi." Douds believes that at high nutrient levels, some of the other benefits of MF--enhanced disease resistance, improved soil aggregation and better water relations--could be showing an effect.

Build your own on-farm inoculum production system

The third phase of Douds' research at Rodale Farm focuses on developing an inexpensive, practicable system for on-farm production of mycorrhizae inoculant. As obligate symbionts, endomycorrhizae have so far resisted attempts to create what scientists call axenic (or isolated, single-species) cultures--they can only be grown in the presence of a host plant. Douds' system works within this constraint, using bahiagrass (Paspalum notatum), a tropical grass native to the southeastern US, as a host.

A myccorhizae factory: The basic procedure is for the farmer to construct a simple enclosure out of landscape fabric, fill it with a mixture of compost and vermiculite, and then transplant pre-colonized bahiagrass seedlings into the mixture. Over the course of the growing season the bahiagrass spreads within the enclosure and the mycorrhizal fungi spread and reproduce along with it. When the grass dies back in the winter, the farmer is left with a concentrated mycorrhizal inoculant that can be incorporated into his or her potting mix when starting seedlings in the greenhouse the following spring.

The basic procedure is for the farmer to construct a simple enclosure out of landscape fabric (75 cm square and 20 cm high), fill it with a mixture of compost and vermiculite, and then transplant pre-colonized bahiagrass seedlings into the mixture. Over the course of the growing season the bahiagrass spreads within the enclosure and the mycorrhizal fungi spread and reproduce along with it. When the grass dies back in the winter, the farmer is left with a concentrated mycorrhizal inoculant that can be incorporated into his or her potting mix when starting seedlings in the greenhouse the following spring.

This year, Douds gave inoculated bahiagrass seedlings and other materials to a few Pennsylvania farmers to see how the method fares in the real-life conditions of farming. Meanwhile, Douds has 12 soil enclosures growing at the Rodale Farm in an experimental grid designed to identify optimum growth media.

Douds chose three different kinds of compost--yard-clippings compost, controlled microbial compost, and dairy manure-leaf compost--and then diluted each kind with vermiculite at four different ratios, ranging from 1 part compost:2 parts vermiculite, down to 1 part compost:49 parts vermiculite. Each soil enclosure, finally, has nine separate sections, three with no inoculant and three each with two different mixtures of MF.

At the end of the season, says Douds, "we'll sample the mixtures from within each enclosure, quantify the inoculum production, and then hopefully develop a prediction formula, where the optimum ratio [of compost to vermiculite] is a function" of the nutrient analysis and other properties of the compost. All the farmer will need to do, then, is get the nutrient analysis of his or her compost, plug it in to the formula, and find the optimal ratio of compost to vermiculite to use for his or her farm.

"On-farm methods have several advantages over commercial inoculants," Douds explains. In the first place, whereas commercial formulae typically only contain a single MF species (frequently Glomus intraradices), Douds' method yields a diverse inoculum containing many MF species. This is crucial because MF show significant 'functional diversity'--"some are good at holding the soil together, some are good at gathering nutrients," others help fight disease.

A second, related advantage is that by mixing in some soil from a nearby woodland, prairie, or hedgerow, the farmer can use Douds's system "to produce the native or indigenous strains of mycorrhizal fungi. . . the ones that are already adapted to his [or her] particular soil conditions." This could be especially important on problem soils, such as those with high aluminum, say, or high or low pH, where commercially-produced fungi may not survive.

Growing fungi in real life: David Douds with one of his on-farm mycorrhizal fungi production systems at Shenk's Berry Farm in Lititz, PA. John Shenk, the cooperating farmer, grows 5 acres of strawberries, 3 acres of raspberries, and 10 acres of mixed vegetables in a low-input system, selling on-farm and at the Clark Park Farmers Market in Philadelphia. "We try to farm thoughtfully," says Shenk. "And do lots of reading and research to keep improving our farming methods." Next season, Shenk will incorporate the soil from the enclosure into his greenhouse potting mix.

Last but not least, home-grown mycorrhizal inoculum can be produced at a fraction of the cost of purchasing commercial mixes. "I've done some preliminary calculations," says Douds. "The on-farm system produces 100 million propagules [in a single enclosure] for approximately $50, not counting the cost of the farmer's labor, which is fairly minimal. To purchase 100 million propagules as listed on the bag of some commercial mixes would cost anywhere from $8,000 to $40,000." Commercial inoculants are sold in a peat- or vermiculite-based medium, so purchasers have to buy (and pay to have shipped) a large volume of material to get a small number of viable MF propagules--another reason it makes more sense to grow your own.

At the moment, Douds' system (like commercial MF inoculant) is suitable for two types of farms: vegetable growers on any scale who produce their own seedlings and can mix the inoculum into their potting mix; and smaller, labor-intensive farms or urban gardens where "the inoculum can be incorporated by hand, directly into the planting furrow or planting hole." Farmers growing field crops on a large scale can only take advantage of MF inoculants if they want to try them out in a relatively small area. "Delivery of MF inoculum to the field is a problem," acknowledges Douds. "Commercial companies are working on this for their particular inocula." He smiles. We can only hope that he will be too.

OPX
    e-letters to the e-editors
    news & research
    columnists
    gleanings
    1000 stories
    talking shop
    certification
    the pig page
    this farm life
    newsletters
    mid-atlantic marketing
    new farm japan

FARM LOCATOR

PRESS ROOM

Farmers: Is organic certification worth it?

CAST YOUR VOTE NOW

Stay Up-to-Date

NewFarm.org changes daily! Don't miss out on the latest interactive features, columns and news. Sign up now for our monthly e-newsletter and stay connected.

ACTION ALERTS

Save foundation seed stocks from GM contamination

Support Saskatchewan farmers in efforts to block GM wheat

Raise your voice against factory hog operations

Share Your Stories

Are you a farmer? A consumer? Whatever story you have to tell, let it be an inspiration to others.
    Share it with us now...

T H E N E W F A R M R E G E N E R A T I V E A G R I C U L T U R E W O R L D W I D E

©2004 The Rodale Institute® PRIVACY POLICY Design: www.homeworkdesign.com
    Check out our other sites: The Rodale Institute® Kidsregen.org

--
    L.F.London
    lfl@intrex.net
    http://market-farming.com
    http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech

* Prev by Date: Re: [compost_tea] numbers
    * Next by Date: [compost_tea] compost tea additives and NOSB
    * Previous by thread: Re: [compost_tea] numbers
    * Next by thread: [compost_tea] compost tea additives and NOSB
    * Index(es):
    o Date
    o Thread

• marshallz10
    15 years ago

I remember the article and am happy to read it again and save to my computer. I kept back issues of the magazine but they all seem to be in storage somewhere. In the mid1990's I participated in some trials using Japanese mycrorh. mixes (EM, or Effective Microbes, and fermented compost product called Bakashi. Not sure of the spelling). On poor and some non-organic farm ground, the products worked well but on good ground managed on organic principles, the products showed less effect.

Both enhanced composting as inoculates. My compost operation continues with minimal odor and good end products from earlier innoculations. A couple of years ago, I ran a few windrows without using coarse siftings from the composts descended from those innoculations. The products were different, including early odor problems.

• beneficial_nematoad
    15 years ago

I found both articles very intriguing. Thanks for posting. Now I'm wondering how I might introduce some MF into my own seedlings/raised beds. Have any of you tried this or a similar method?