Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksmflorida

If you could only keep 10... what would they be?

ksmflorida
14 years ago

I am sure this question has been asked before but here goes. I am trying to downsize my large orchid collection and this thought crossed my mind. It was very difficult to do but if I could only keep 10 orchids from my current collection this it what I would keep...

1. Bl. Sherrie Styles 'Sunshine' (Blc. Acapana x B. nodosa)

2. C. bicolor var. brasiliensis

3. C. Hardyana (C. dowiana var. aurea x C. gigas) - purple

4. C. Hardyana 'Robertson' (semi-alba)

5. C. lueddemanniana 'Fennel' x C. lueddemaniana 'Maruja'

6. C. mossiae 'Julieta Bosque' x C. mossiae Reinekiana 'Youngs'

7. L. purpurata 'Striata'

8. Lc. Green Veil ÂDressy' (Lc. Cuiseag x C. Landate)

9. Pot. Egyptian Queen 'Desert Eve' (Pot. Ester Costa x C. Bicolor)

1. Blc. StanÂs Golden Car ÂLincoln (Bl. Richard Mueller x Blc. Makaha Gold)

I would love to know what orchids you would keep.

Kinsey

Comments (6)

• sweetcicely
    14 years ago

This list reflects that I am trying to discover what genera will grow and bloom in my conditions (indoors, natural light, low humidity).

1. Neofinetia falcata
    2. Paph Hampshire Raven x Shadow Magic
    3. Phal Miva Smartissimo x Canberra
    4. Phal 1 (aka noid)
    5. Phal BB651 P. Ho's Dream Jade [RHS Registry shows only Ho's Dreamy Jade] x P. [RHS says Doritaenopsis] Sogo Circus 'Sun Prince'(unbloomed)
    6. Maxillaria variabilis (wine red w/ gold 'trim')
    7. Miltassia Kauai's Choice 'Tropical Fragrance' (unbloomed)
    8. Mormolyca ringens (unbloomed)
    9. Cymbidium sinense Pow Shan Paw (unbloomed and breaking my heart)
    10.One of three Phal amboinensis X sanderiana flask babies (unbloomed

Even though your problem for us is hypothetical, Kinsey, it really is hard to do. I have three Phal Doc Charles flask babies, which are doing fine, but which have yet to bloom. I'd probably give up the Chinese Cym to someone who knows how to make it happy, and keep another of the flask babies which I'm confident will bloom in my conditions.

I only have 14 orchids so that leaves two--a Ludisia discolor and a very chocolatey Onc. Sharry Baby (I think), a rescue which just bloomed for me and now has a third spike. Seems kinda heartless not to put them on the list. sigh.

Sweetcicely

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

keep 10? You're kidding!
    GOOD LUCK!

I have ~ 100+ orchids, 13 bromeliads and 6 Marantaceae.

I'm trying to INCREASE all of the numbers!

--Stitz--

• cbarry
    14 years ago

I haven't been around in a LONG time, which is why...

I'd LOVE to have only about 10 (well maybe 20). There's too much else going on for me to care much about these guys/gals these days. I have about 65 plants, and if anyone wants some phrags/paphs, plus some other stuff, I respond to GW email :)

I now know that I no longer like seedlings. 'NBS' is a mean nasty torment. Near to you and I means nothing to an orchid. 'BS' is a worse joke that they perpetuate upon us.

Really, they laugh behind your back. Once you reach about 65 plants, you can hear them chortle. Luckily I'm down from almost 200. I don't hear their voices so much any more.

And horrors of all horrors is when you repot, and the plants splits in half...NOW YOU HAVE 2! And you have to make a new label and make more room.

Such an evil obsession we are bound to.
    Carolyn

• caromo
    14 years ago

Carolyn, I swear I've heard that very same chortling! I backed down to about 50 and the torment stoppped......

But 10? Surely I'd keep the reliable bloomers and stop the science experiments.

• richardol
    14 years ago

I am having a hard time with this one. Right now I have more than 10 Laelia anceps varieties so deciding on 10 plants is going nowhere.

Many of my plants need too much light for indoor growing. Lots of them are too big for indoors. Mounts are hard to have indoors since viewing them and getting enough light to them is a challenging combination.

Probably I would end up with 5 Paphs and 5 Slc minicatts.

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Well this is certainly easier than the thread that popped up a few weeks back asking us to choose ONE plant! :)

I'm trying to cut back as well, but only so I can get more of the things I actually want. My problem is, I don't feel good selling anything until it's blooming because a) I can get more moolah for it (orchids bring me one notch higher towards not being under the poverty line) and b) I think people enjoy seeing what kind of flowers are on a plant before buying. Then things bloom and I don't have the heart to sell them. Time to get serious about this.

Soo..if a fire broke out in my house and I only had time to grab ten of my plants, I'd probably snag:

1) Aerangis distincta (about to bloom for the 1st time but also dying at the same time...kills me a little inside every time I look at it)
    2) Aerangis splendida
    3) Aeranthes grandiflorus
    4) Angranthes Grandilena (aer. grandiflora x ang. magdalanae)
    5) Dendrobium Peng Seng
    6) Dendrobium Tobaense
    7) Dialaelia 'Snow Flake'
    8) Dendrobium dawn maree
    9) Polyrhizza lindenii (just cause that little bugger finally put out ONE root and there's no way in hell I'm gonna let this little glimmer of success slip away)

1. Aerangis kirkii

Luckily I don't have anything too valuable or irreplacible in my collection