Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_e

A cumulatie case of the willies, and is there a word in English

My favorite Far Side cartoon was a reptile zoo keeper, shown in front of all the cages with the slithery creatures, his eyes big as saucers and him standing there kinda funny...

The caption read: Joe the Snake Keeper gets a cumulative case of the willies. Bwahaha!

I try to be 'tough' and objective about medical stuff or gory things, probably because my peers as kids were all growing up to be doctors with doctors as dads and they tried to. And I was a Tomboy, with rules on such things anyway.

Still, every once in a while, I get that nauseated, cold-sweaty sensation and my knees turn to jello, or they would if I were standing. It correlates to the gore sometimes but not always.

I couldn't cahnge my own dressing on a leg cut I had as a teeneager because it looked so bad and it was ON ME. Silliness.

Then I couldn't help my boyfriend change his dressing on a caulderized place in his arm... so goes the ON ME theory, lol.

#1, Ever had funny ones of these?

OK, also is there a word in English for 'I don't know if I'm scared - I shouldn't be, maybe I should be; I just want it over?' As in, are you scared about finding out your biopsy results?

I just had a biopsy procedure yesterday and it included willies and this emotion, whatever the word for that feeling would be. Turns out it wasn't the surgery - that part comes later.

I think it's no big deal. Surely it happens all the time. But my doc said 'well, your Mom and your Aunt and your cousin probably didn't think it was cancer at their ages either, so we'll do this fast.'

Aaack. I think I'd be fine if he hadn't put it that way. In any case, it's so good to have a doc who will get the sucker biopsied and also outta there. It happens all the time - fibroadenoma. I'm being silly.

Back to the willies... the procedure did not hurt at all. But I got the most embarrassing case of the willies. Usually I breathe deeply at that stage of the willies, and nobody een notices. OK, can't breathe deeply during a breast biopsy!

Well, the jig was up sans deep breathing. I had to ask for a cold cloth for my forehead like some debutante on a fainting couch!

Oh my street cred is totally ruined. I wasn't going to ask, but I knew I was dangerously close to either having to ask for a bucket or just fading out of consciousness [really - been there, done that] and both of those options were verbotten, I thought.

Man, they said 'a core biopsy'. No, try 15-20! I was fine during the ONE, darnit. And the machine snaps like an ear-piercing gun. Now that's just not right.

Ick ick ick.

The tech brought me gingerale to sip through a straw like a 6 year old... aack... but it helped and I love her for it.

So there's my med day [oh the passport/DMV/Congresswoman's stuff was the 4-day appetizer, however and played no small part in my need to breathe deeply, I assure you].

I do hope that folks have willy stories that are funny, and I apologize that I always have mixed posts, lol. Feel free to start a new post if you like for those if that strikes you as better.

I wanna know if Pete was a trooper for his massive-willy-giving heart surgery situation. Man, folks impress me with life and what all it throws.

Prayers for the biopsy part would be nice, although I feel silly asking. Still, Mom taught me that prayers are always appropriate, so do say a little one to yourself if you would!

Comments (21)

• michelle_co
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Definitely prayers for you. When will you have results?

Yeah, I get it about the willies & feinting.

I'm an EMT. Am generally fine with blood, vomit, Other fluids, gore, death. Can watch those shows like 'Code Blue' which involve horrific injuries & surgery while eating dinner... Took off my own fingernail with a dremmel after running a huge splinter under it.

However, watching my dog get stitched up, I started to feint. DH grabbed the dog, grabbed the back of my shirt and let me sit on the floor. He THOUGHT I was conscious, and let me go - NOT. WHAM I fell the rest of the way over and my head bounced off the floor. Oops. I woke up flat on my back in the vet's back office.

Anyway, it was just one of those little cases of the willies. :-)

I really do hope things go well for you. Try not to get too stressed out.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• michaelalreadytaken
    16 years ago

Yep, it's not fun to have the adrenalin begin to flow when one is trapped on an exam table or in a procedure and can't just run away from the "danger." (although I've seen those who did with tragic results on several occasions).

I'll be thinking of you! Yes, I will.

MichaelAT

• pete41
    16 years ago

Well-I have been taking drugs for an enlarged prostrate.Didn't work-the Doctor sees no sign of cancer but is going to do an exam Tuesday that is sorta like a colonoscopy [sp.?] but not there if you get my drift.Running something up there for a look-see is something I don't look forward to.Then it will probably require an operation.Hell to get old.

• mjsee
    16 years ago

meredith--

Let me know if I can help in any way. We tarheels gotta stick together! I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Cumulative willies? Not really, but you should hear me squeal like a little girl when I see a roach or a mole cricket. Any other critter and I'm fine...

melanie

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the well-wishes, MIchelle, MAT and Mel! Oh, Pete, that sounds like a great day, eh? Just don't pass out or who knows what all could get ripped out ;] Take care and prayers for great results.

Michelle, your vet story is hilarious and makes me feel better if an EMT even does it! MAT, I did want to just run or smack her hand away, to tell the truth. See, I am a trooper then ;]

******I got my results!!! Not a single cancer cell, thank you very much :) The sweet 'tech'[I don't know what to call her!] left me a message before they were even open, before she'd told the doctor, she said! I'm supposed to act surprised when the surgeon calls. What a sweetie! I'm sending her something for that.

I could tell my dad must have been worried [not that he'd say] when he said that I should pick her some roses and take them over :)

Hey, Mel, I'm still trying to charm some snakes for you, BTW. I can't garden for another day or two because I can't get sweaty yet, but I don't even care with such good news!!

Have a great day, you guys!

Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, the doctor's office just called and told me again. Not bad time - that's nice of them too ;) :)

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

Meredith....I'm so glad your news was good.

Pete: My dad had problem with an enlarged prostate (and a high PSA) wouldn't take the drugs and refused to have the surgery, so finally the doctor suggested a new procedure, I don't know the name of it, but Dad called it "microwaving" the prostate. It's probably not so new now, he had it done several years ago. Dad said it wasn't a whole lot of fun, but it was completely successful and he didn't have to have surgery.

Lisa

• mjsee
    16 years ago

Meredith...

No need...we saw a young Black Snake a couple of weeks ago. Now, if he'll just avoid the copperheads until he gets some SIZE on him...

All hail Fred III!

I am VERY glad that all was benign. I've been thinking about you.

melanie

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Mere, I'm glad the news was good. When are you leaving for England? Pete, good luck with your tests. It doesn't sound very comfortable, but hopefully can get good results eventually without surgery.
    I had a weird incident in a parking lot the other day. Was feeling woozy from not eating anyway, wasn't looking down, stepped on a round top, turned ankle and went tumbling. I actually did a sommersault. Ended up with bruises, but nothing major wrong. Sure felt weird to suddenly be looking up at my DH and bystanders wondering what the h*** happened. Its the kind of thing you want to do by yourself so you can pick yourself up and pretend nothing happened. I had too many witnesses! Stay well everyone!
    Kathy

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Lisa; I appreciate it. Good advice for Pete; I love getting tips like that for the family.

Mel, you are so sweet to offer to help, too. And I know you mean it cos you are a real gal. Hail Fred III!! Yeah! Huh, I never named my guys... I'll get the kids next door to help me.

Kathy, so good to hear from you! I hope you are enjoying your summer away from school. A sommersault, bwaha! Sorry, shouldn't laugh but I'm a sucker for slapstick. I did that skiing as a teenager and thought I'd die when a crowd appeared to ask how I was, lol.

Aingland [lol] is August 1st, whew! Now that I can put off the actual surgery I probably will till after that. It depends on what all it involves and recuperation, really. It can't be much, so we'll see.

Hey, Pete, my dad has prostate issues, too and we have very few urologists locally. He had to go to my old boyfriend's dad [the best], whom I had known well personally. That mortified Dad for some reason, lol. He didn't even want to tell me... silly men ;]

• carla17
    16 years ago

Meredith, I'm happy the results are good. Take care of yourself and stay away from willies.
    Me wonders about the snakes since it's so dry.
    I don't want to see one though.

Carla

• farmgirl
    16 years ago

Meredith!
    So happy for you that the results were negative. I had a biopsy for a fibroid tumor (apparently the same as a fibroid adenoma). Didn't get the willies, even with the 12" wire protruding from my breast. But you had my complete attention with the ear-piercing gun thing. Are things like this supposed to be marvels of modern technology or just improved implements of torture?

Another word for the willies may be "vapors". One of those Southern Belle afflicitions. If one must faint, do so with all the panache possible: back of hand to forehead, lips parted and, hopefully, someone behind you to catch as you keel over. A hoop skirt is optional.

Are the Heebie-jeebies the same as the Willies?

Does anyone know what a "gruntle" is? I'm supposed to be a "dis-gruntled" postal worker. I need to know what it is, how they removed it and was it legal for them to do so without my knowledge. Should I demand my gruntle back?

Carol

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Carla! I haven't seen snake 1 this year but I admit that I've been out less due to our STINKING 91+ days so much this year already. Where was Spring - did I blink?

Sorry, count my blessings and all and I will :) Oh, I'm counting!

Carol, bwahaha! I wonder if Jeepers Creepers means that, too? Not that you could just run around saying jeepers creepers these days. Definite Heebie Jeebies! And the generic one I said to the doc after that wire [Oy YES the wire...] had just gotten in:

"Uh, it doesn't hurt but this is REALLY FREAKING ME OUT"

Cast changes to hoops skirts and fainting couches roll onstage ;]

Meanwhile I'm doing a little Cancer-free dance and seriously thinking this is the year to stop smoking, etc. Do they have places where they hold you down for a week? Oy I'd 'rather' smoke than eat but that's no excuse anymore...

• farmgirl
    16 years ago

The wire thing...it reminded me of a curb feeler. (Must have been the drugs, right?) I could have passed it off as the newest fashion accessory to insure sufficient personal space. However, it would make clearing airport security problematic.

Carol

Original Author
    16 years ago

A curb feeler?!? Ick ick ick! True but ICK, lol. You are so bad, bwahaha!

• pagan
    16 years ago

mere - so glad you aren't cancerous. Happyhappycancerfreedance for you! getting faint happens to the best of us - even tough old ex-cops have histories of fainting. Kind of a cool sensation, when you think about it - for me generally the room starts to spin and out I go, or things gget completely dark, and I wonder what happened to the light, then wham! I awaken with concerned faces peering at me, or once I was being carried in strong and cute arms! (BTW, I believe having the vapors meant having gas... )

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the dance, pagan!

I always loved it at blood drives where the biggest toughest guys fainted, bwaha.

Fainting for me is utterly embarrassing because usually I don't go Wham, I kind of melt and get a teeny voice and say HELP but I can still see everything and feel like a fool.

I have a few stories where witnesses still get the biggest kick out of my teeny voice, lol. Embarrassing!

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Dear Meredith, though serious, this was a very entertaining thread. I love the way you write. Anyhow, want to join the others in saying how very happy I am for you that the tumour was non-malignant. Whoopie!!!

As my main career I worked in a lab taking blood, performing ECGs etc. and we were constantly looking out for potential fainters. priding ourselves on stopping the act, (most of the time) before it happened. My most embarrased fainter was a surgeon, oops! (a bit like Michelle in the vet's office) :) The unusual kind would be eg. a father bringing his child in for a blood test, and passing out cold during the act. Especially not good, if they are holding the child on their lap during the procedure. Oh well fainting is a way of shutting OUT the Willies, but not the route you would want to take.

Assuming you will be having the adenoma removed soon, no cause for Willies there, at least you know now the diagnoses.

Take good care.
    Pauline

• farmgirl
    16 years ago

Pagan:
    As a long-time verbivore, I looked up "vapor" just to make sure I wasn't in need of condiments when I ate this one. It is an archaic term for hysteria. I think the Southern vapors were brought on by corsets laced too tightly. Perhaps I should have used "swoon". One word currently in favor is "wonky". Could be a near-miss of "woozy"? One of my favorite definitions of an outrageous situation is "E-ticket". Walt would be proud, wouldn't he?

Carol

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Mere, glad to read the good news. I know you have to be stressed about the whole situation, how could you not be? I doubt you are the 1st to need a cool cloth; anyone having to have a biopsy would be stressed. I would think that anyone with a family history; well all the more stress.

To go in for a procedure to see if it registers the "big C" well that in itself would make anyone puke.

Now that I can put off the actual surgery I probably will till after that. It depends on what all it involves and recuperation, really. It can't be much, so we'll see.

Did you ever get to check out the cure magazine site? I wonder if you have other options. I remember reading about one breast cancer study where they were given a drug that worked. Might be worth the time to look into. The article would have been from the time dad was sick - July 2005 to January 2006. I seem to remember it as a fall issue - so Fall 2005. I might still have it but it's packed in a rubbermade with dad's stuff.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue, oh this surgery is very small really... I was hoping they could remove it during the biopsy but they don't do that. 2 cm of something I just don't want in there, lol.

I am researching your links and resources I'm finding. Do you mean tamoxifen? I'm not sure about that since it's so darned hormonal itself [other reproductive cancers run in the family too]. 1st thing is genetic testing but that'll be after my trip.

Pauline, you are so sweet, thank you! I'm glad you thought it was funny... most things are, lol. My mom freaked out her oncologist once during a serious time - came in after having a blue lollipop with a very blue mouth. She said 'What is happening to me, doc?' and opened her mouth, and she said he about fainted! LOL, he appreciated the joke just didn't expect it.

She, however, did faint when I was 3 and broke my arm, and they had to get a wheelchair for her, lol.