Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
york_rose

Which is more bushy - Therese Bugnet, or Belle Poitevine?

york_rose
13 years ago

I'm interested in growing a good 5'-6'-7' tall (remontant) rugosa, but I would prefer one that is bushy rather than lanky.

I've noticed that both of these rugosas are well regarded flowering shrubs.

For those of you (especially if you garden in New England, or nearby) who are familiar with the growth habits of these two rugosa roses, which is more bushy, Therese Bugnet, or Belle Poitevine?

(Oh, by the way, if you have experience with either and yet know of another rugosa rose whose growth habits you prefer (& is more or less in the same color range), feel free to recommend it instead, especially if you're going to recommend Fru Dagmar Hastrup! :) )

Comments (6)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    13 years ago

I would always recommend Fru Dagmar - it's a wonderful rugosa and just what you're looking for. Therese is vase shaped and her remontancy is questionable. She only has light rebloom for me. The Belle, OTOH, is a broad as she is tall 5' shrub with constant bloom. The bonus with Fru Dagmar and Belle Poitevine are the huge, colorful hips they set - and you don't have to deadhead to get the good rebloom. They rebloom and set hips all at the same time.
    Another good rugosa of the same style as the two above (wide and bushy) is R. Magnifica. It may be my favorite rugosa. The blooms are a bit more refined than the muddled petals of Belle Poitevine, and the hips it sets are every bit as large as Fru Dagmar's. It's a truly generous, easy to grow rose and well named.

• User
    13 years ago

Both are quite "bushy" (read: well branched and fairly dense foliage) but are quite different in style: TB is much more upright, and BP is a bit on the squat side.

• lam702
    13 years ago

I have both Belle and Therese, and by far, Belle does much better for me. It's very full and bushy, loaded with very fragrant blooms. It is sporadic in repeat bloom, though. My Terese, I am actually giving serious thought to replacing, I've had it for years and it has grown but little, with an occasional bloom here and there. I don't know why, I have it in a sunny spot, and the other roses planted alongside it have done well. Therese is the only rugosa I've grown that does not perform well. The reason I love rugosas is the little care they need, being the lazy gardener that I am. Yes, the more I think about it, poor Therese is going to be ripped out and replaced.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I've grown R. Magnifica in the past (although in a very different climate from yours) and really loved the color and the fragrance. Therese Bugnet also did well for me, surprisingly so for my hot climate, but I found I didn't care for the bare canes when so many other roses here are more or less evergreen, without the formidable armature of the rugosas. In botanical gardens one of my favorites was Jens Munk, a very pretty rugosa.

Ingrid

• rosa_crazii
    13 years ago

In my garden, Belle Poitevine is definitely a bushier, shorter plant. Her leaves are more rugose compared to Terese Bugnet. BP's flowers are looser and more of a bluish pink too. It is one of my favorite rugosas.

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Therese Bugnet is taller, lankier, vase. Belle is more bushy as others have said. Advantage Belle Poitevine for hips. Advantage Therese Bugnet for burgundy/red winter stems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings Blog