Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Early October at the Farm

gardenbug
13 years ago

Lots has been cut back and weeded, but much more needs work once the rain stops. There are stages to Fall cleanup because many things are still fun to look at!

I kept the anemones ('Charlotte') because they were so tall and beautiful, but the rain did a number on them...

{{gwi:182595}}

Cut back the iris 'Silverado', only to find that they too need more work. So congested!

{{gwi:182596}}

The hostas and ferns look fine still, so they can wait to be cut back.

{{gwi:182597}}

And so I've saved a number of things until later this month:

Asters

{{gwi:182598}}

Persicaria

{{gwi:182599}}

Tricyrtis White Towers

{{gwi:182601}}

Anemone 'Pamina'

{{gwi:182602}}

The roses can wait a while as well.

Crocus Rose

{{gwi:182603}}

The island beds and other areas look quite strange and bare already...

{{gwi:182604}}

Quite bleak actually!

{{gwi:182605}}

In the vegetable garden there is lots of work yet to accomplish...

The end of the tomatoes...

{{gwi:182606}}

and the zucchini too.

{{gwi:182607}}

There are still plenty of beets though and this morning I picked the last of the eggplants.

Beets

{{gwi:182608}}

It is mighty soggy out there!

Comments (5)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

I noticed the clematises on the back of the garage(?) Is that the new iron structure that you got on the right? Are all three of the clematises growing on the same kind of structure? It looks like it's working well....

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are right about the structures for all three clematis being the same. The one on the far right was traumatized last year by rabbits and so is trying to recover. I am being patient with it because I cannot replace it. It is a Type 1 variety. I sure hope that next year it flourishes!

The two clematis to the left will be pruned back next March or April. They are Betty Corning (left) and Pitcheri (middle).

There's a sale on at Gardenimport now if you are at all interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis sale time

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

I thought that's were Betty Corning is. I assume you're happy with the structures...? I'd better not succumb to Gardenimport until I see how al the clematises I planted this year do. Actually, the last ones I got from Gardenimport were very root-bound so I'd be afraid to see what state they're in now! One of the clematises I planted on the arbour for the swag color combinations is blooming now - dark purple - it's supposed to be red! Hardly any clematises ever turn out to be what they are supposed to be when I buy them :-(

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Of course one problem is that tag photographs lie. You almost need to take your computer with you and check names against the photos on COTW! Another problem is the missing (or exchanged) tags in the nurseries...or even before they reach the nurseries. It is a problem with other plants too, but most infuriating with clematis which take a year or two to establish- only to find out they aren't what they claimed to be. Le Sigh...
    Fortunately they usually all look good together...unless they are the completely wrong pruning group.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

It's always amazing to me all that is still going on in the garden in October. You have lots of fall interest in yours. Your Tricyrtis White Towers is lovely.

I wished I had planted more beets and less kohlrabi. Kenzie and I picked the last of the veggies today since frost is predicted for tonight. We have a large basket of peppers of many colors. There are still carrots in the ground as well. I don't know about you but by the time October 1 rolls around I'm ready for the vegetable garden to go. The flowers not so much.

Michelle