Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

winter hardy shrubs for zone 3

canadian_rose
14 years ago

Hi :)

I'm looking for a rose bush that:

1. Can survive zone 3 winters where we have warm spells due to chinook winds (Calgary)

2. Is pink!

3. Has lots of blooms

4. Has good repeat

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Carol

Comments (13)

• york_rose
    14 years ago

I can't speak from any personal experience with it (& I'm not aware that it's now available in Canada), but this climber was bred by a breeder from Manitoba, and is supposed to be hardy into zone 2.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

John Davis is a big shrub (I believe) or climber that is supposed to be hardy to zone 2b. There's a picture of it (very pretty) on the first page of the cottage garden forum, under my post about New Dawn roses climbing along a fence.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lavender lass - I already have John Davis, and I love it!!

York Rose - I had no idea about Victorian Memory!! It's beautiful and so unique to what we can grow here. Are you sure it's zone 2? Another webiste said it was zone 4. To me it looks more like a zone 4 rose. Do you have any experience with it? Or do you know for sure it's zone 2? I absolutely love it and want it!!

Thanks!!!!

Carol

• leo_prairie_view
    14 years ago

Carol,
    Do you have 'Lambert Closse'? It has so far been cane hardy here for me in Manitoba, I don't know if you could say it has lots of blooms but it always has some blooms on it. Stanwell Perpetual is a rose that is surprising me, the flowers start out pink but quickly fade to almost white and have a great fragrance. Then there is 'Fru Dagmar Hastrop' and the old standby for the prairies 'Therese Bugnet' both of which bloom prolifically are fragrant and are unfazed by our zone 2b winters.
    'Isabella Skinner' the original Canadian name for 'Victorian Memory' apparently does well at the Heritage Garden in Saskatoon. It is not an easy rose to find in Canada.
    Leo

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Leo,

When I lived in Fort McMurray I had Therese Bugnet and the fragrance was to die for. However, I had it in all morning shade and the blooms didn't last. It seemed that everytime a flush came on there was a wind storm and all the petals were gone in a day. I mean every single time. Do you think that was a shade/wind thing or does TB just blow quickly regardless.

I had Lambert Closse, and I was thinking of something a little larger. It was only 2 feet for me in Edmonton. Stanwell Perpetual is a bit too white for me.

So can you clear that up for me about Therese Bugnet?

Thanks very much,
    Carol

• york_rose
    14 years ago

As I stated, I have no experience with it. Here's the website of the nursery in Utah that grows & sells it as "Victorian Memory" (although it's been determined to be Isabella Skinner):

www.highcountryroses.com

I suspect if you contact them they will be able to give more information about its hardiness.

• leo_prairie_view
    14 years ago

Carol,
    Therese Bugnet holds it bloom better than my other rugosas, enough that I can cut a cluster for bouquet that lasts long enough to make it worth while. Here is a picture taken after we had a 5' rain overnight even though a lot of bloom had fallen there was still enough to take a picture.
    {{gwi:223812}}

Lillian Gibson is another pink rose that would match your criteria except it doesn't repeat although it has a long bloom period. The same thing holds for Dr. Merkeley and it blooms after everything else has finished its first flush, sometimes even into August. The fragrance is even stronger than Therese Bugnet. It grows almost 4' high and at least that much around.
    Leo
    {{gwi:223813}}

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks York and Leo!

I've decided to go with Prairie Joy and Victorian Memory with Earth Song and Therese Bugnet as my back ups in case we can't find the first 2.

Yippee!

Thanks everyone!!
    Carol

• leo_prairie_view
    14 years ago

Sounds great, if you are anywhere near the Devonian, you might see if they have an 'Isabelle Skinner'. They sometimes sell some of the prairie heritage roses as a fund raiser to keep the rose garden going. Otherwise, I don't think you will find it in Canada and High Country Roses in the states does not ship to Canada. I have been wishing for it for several years and finally have the promise for a sucker comming summer.
    Leo

• onewheeler
    14 years ago

Carol do you go to the Calgary Zoo? They have a garden area. Last summer when I was there, the first week of June, I noticed a gorgeous orange rose growing against the building. I tried to get close enough to see the name of it but alas it wasn't happening at the time. From my perspective it looked like a species rose, single bloom but oh the color was outstanding. Next summer when I go out there i am going to find out the name of that rose and see if I can get one for here in Nova Scotia.

Turbo is a great hardy rose that sounds as if it might fit the requirements you mentioned. I am not sure of the zone but I think it is pretty bullet proof.

I once grew Dr. Merkeley and I can vouch for it being a great rose too. Also had TB, the blooms did blow fast with her also. I can't say what it would do in your climate but it sure is worth checking out.

Valerie

• york_rose
    14 years ago

Otherwise, I don't think you will find it in Canada and High Country Roses in the states does not ship to Canada.

How unfortunate! :(

HelpMeFind indicates there is a Dutch supplier who will sell it & send it to Canada, but I have never interacted with that nursery so I have no idea about how they go about that, or how reliable they are (or are not), nor do I know anything about Canada's quarantine laws regarding importing roses from the Netherlands.

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    14 years ago

Hi
    My only comment is about Praire Joy, have grown it for 10+ yrs. Balls really bad in wet weather. Really hardy here, Great foliage, great repeat, but balls terribly in wet weather.......I mean balls horribly.........:(

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Leo - thanks for the tip! I sure hope I can get it! Good for you!! Looks like a fab rose.

Valerie - yes I do go to the zoo, but I'm usually so exhausted (I have a neurological disorder) that any extra walking is difficult, plus I have to watch where my feet are going to go, so I don't get to look around too much. LOL An orange species rose would be pretty interesting. Next time we go (could be awhile) I'll try to remember to check on it.

As to TB, I'm going to pass on it, because if you agree with me on the blowing fast, then it sounds like it's standard operating procedure for it.

I'm going to check out Turbo and Dr. Merkeley - thanks!

Thorn grower - oh that's too bad! I just don't grow roses that ball. I had Brother Cadfael at my old home - beautiful with tons of flowers - but they kept balling. Who needs that!!

Thanks everyone - I'm off to check on Turbo and Dr. M,

Carol
    Wow!! Thanks York Rose!! We sure look out for each other on this forum.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting