Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weldontx

I need a GREAT yellow rose.

weldontx
14 years ago

One that is as hardy as Belinda's Dream and will bloom as

consistantly. Hopefully will not fade in central Tx hot summer sun.

I will be planting this rose, possibly 2 others for my sister in honor of her late husband. She lives north

of Brownwood (for non Texans, she's about 45 miles north of

geographic center of TX). Size is not a major issue. Toughness is. Thanks in advance.

Weldon

Comments (26)

• petaloid
    14 years ago

One suggestion -- Forty Heroes is listed as hardy to zone 5b, the same as Belinda's Dream. It also is described as resisting mildew and blackspot.

The name is a dedication to the passengers on flight 93:

Here is a link that might be useful: Forty Heroes

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

gorgeous rose, & I love the name & thought!

but hybrid teas often struggle in our extremes of weather.

Weldon, what about Buff Beauty?

It's a golden yellow climber, just gorgeous.

& check the David Austins, too;
    Graham Thomas has the most gorgeous yellow flowers, but it isn't a heavy bloomer.

However, it's a good parent;
    Austin has quite a few newer yellows with Graham Thomas as a parent.

• weldontx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Petaloid, Sylvia--THANKS for the good suggestions. I like both ideas a lot. Sylvia, I had knee replacement Dec.7 and am
    looking forward to spring swap.

Weldon

• pauline-vi-8
    14 years ago

I three favourites. Different categories. Hybrid Tea - St. Patrick. Floribunda - Amber Queen and Austin - Golden Celebrations. I love them all.
    Pauline - Vancouver Island.

• jont1
    14 years ago

Hopi Girl, St. Patrick, Gold Medal, and Welcome Home are my best yellow HT's. I would recommend any of them.
    John

• erasmus_gw
    14 years ago

I like Morning Has Broken. It's healthy, blooms alot, gets fairly well- branched and doesn't fade much. But the blooms blow fast. Still, it keeps putting them out. Mine's about 4' tall and 3' wide. Also, you might check out Nacadoches Yellow. I think Chamblee's has it. Somewhere I heard that it could be chosen as " The Yellow Rose of Texas". I have one but it's still pretty small. I love the yellow Austins too but they're not immune to blackspot. I also like Sunsprite and Well Being. I love Prairie Sunrise though it's not a pure yellow, has some apricot tones. Prairie Harvest might be good also.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    14 years ago

I've heard that St. Patrick loves hot weather--but has a very bad reputation in New England Z5/6 winters-but this could be a double whammy of Black Spot and cold weather.

• msjam2
    14 years ago

Weldon, you've seen my Easy Going right? It's the one planted in front of my house, facing north. It blooms non-stop for me even as late as Dec. 28th!
    I highly recommend this rose, if you don't mind thorns.

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

'SOUTH AFRICA' is my absolute favorite...it's a Kordes floribunda and is very disease-free, blooms constantly, and has gorgeous, ruffled yellow blossoms that turn a luscious shade of orange-yellow when autumn arrives.

SA was loaded with roses all summer long...when I took a vase of the blossoms to my local rose society meeting, all the members were really excited about the blossoms, and the president commented that the blossoms were show-quality. I think a row of these would be really striking.
    -terry

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Gregg Lowery, who owns Vintage Gardens, recommended Roberta Bondar to me as a tough and beautiful and truly yellow rose. She's a sport of Buff Beauty but is much more yellow. I believe it's still available from Vintage Gardens. Gregg grows 4000 roses so I really value his advice.

Ingrid

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Why, Henry Fonda, of course. Very bloomiferous Hybrid Tea, bright saturated yellow color, stands up to the heat as well as St. Patrick. The flowers last and last.

• susz52
    14 years ago

My favorite yellow is Fl. Arthur Bell. I am not partial to yellow roses so you know he does very well. I also love the Austin rose Molineaux. Both of mine came from Pickering Roses.

• User
    14 years ago

If you can still find it around Midas Touch is an intense Yellow that keeps it's color longer in the heat a HT style rose.

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

if you can't find a yellow rose try to search in an online stores,..

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

The best ones that I know of include Goldmarie, Golden Fairy Tale/Sterntaler, St. Patrick, Tivoli Gardens, Shockwave, and Michaelangelo. All have done well for me here. The unquestioned best in this list is Golden Fairy Tale. A couple of good Austins that are yellow but not colorfast are Blythe Spirit and Windrush.

• sienna_98
    14 years ago

Truly, if size is not an issue (that is, you have plenty of room), I'm a big fan of Mermaid. She's a single yellow with absolutely wicked thorns, but there is *nothing* that will kill this rose. The first year I planted her, the goats broke through the fence and chewed on her 3 separate times. She shook that off as if it were nothing. She has her best flush in late spring, but will bloom throughout the summer. The main caveat with Mermaid (outside of the thorns) is that she has earned her nickname - The House Eater. There's a Mermaid down in San Antonio that has basically covered the whole house. The one I planted has been kept in check by being far away from the water faucet, so she probably does not get as much watering as she could, plus she was underneath a large post oak which was dead (I had plans to have her climb up the post oak but the electric company decided the post oak was a threat to their lines, go figure). It'll be interesting to see if she takes off with the extra sun this year. =0

• growing2010
    14 years ago

I second Midas Touch for that intense yellow, it really does get a lot of attention when in full bloom. It is my DH's favorite yellow.
    I do love Golden Celebration although it is very different. I like that it gets huge, the bush has a very pretty spreading shape, and it is very floriferous. Two or three of these would be spectacular.
    I have only seen Easy Living in pictures, but it is the next yellow on my list because the color looks so pretty, and it sounds like it would be pretty tough as well.

• avalonweddingsbcs
    14 years ago

julia child?

College station,texas

• jont1
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention "Elina". It is a very good light yellow HT that produces huge blooms and is very healthy as well.
    Roberta Bondar is a really fine climbing yellow HT. I got two of them last year and they took off right away blooming and i didn't have to wait a year. It has beautiful blooms and is very fragrant as well.
    John

• weldontx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW!! what a list!! Thanks EVERYONE. I will be spending the next week or so researching all these great ideas. Thanks to those who mentioned Midas Touch. I had him in Okla. and really liked that rose. You've mentioned numerous ones that are new to me--haven't kept up with the roses lately.

If I can remember, I'll try to post my selections to let you know which ones we decide to try. It is going to be a challenge: only about 8 - 10 inches of soil on top of a solid rock hill. I will bring in compost and get dirt from her horse lot to try to build up a decent bed. Wish us luck.

Weldon

• sabalmatt_tejas
    14 years ago

Julia Child has performed very well for me. She has been a constant bloomer.

• tnangela
    14 years ago

Seemed like a semi appropriate place to add a pretty pic from today. Don't know what this rose is- it's the last, of a group of florist roses, that I rooted, to root.
    {{gwi:218581}}

• jim_w_ny
    14 years ago

I've been intrigued by Mermaid but posters finally discouraged me based on its'probable demise in my climate. I pictured it as a Giant in my very big side lawn!

Roberta Dondar gets a few nice flowers every year and has managed to survive my poor soil and harsh climate but it is a long way from being Great!

Bottom line I don't have any great yellows. Past great ones have been Graham Thomas and Rugelda both of which succumbed to unknown factors!

Oh yes, Terry Jean, where did you get South Africa? I see only one European source for it. I'm always interested in any rose from Kordes.

• daveinohio_2007
    14 years ago

Jim: edmundsroses.com sells South Africa.

• jim_w_ny
    14 years ago

Thanks Dave.

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

I would suggest you "Amber Queen"
    It fulfills your basic requirement that is toughness
    It does not fade in warm temperatures
    That can easily be the GREAT yellow rose you are looking for..

In short the only difference between Belinda's dream and Amber queen is the color. So i guess this is the perfect match