Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deervssteve

Finally, some real Ncal rain

deervssteve
10 years ago

It is suppose to rain moderately all day. It won't put a dent in the drought, but the yard Is getting a good soaking. Except for the newly planted roses, I wont have to water for a while.

Comments (22)

• andreark
    10 years ago

Steve, Yayyyyy!!!

We have had 3 rains in the last week or so. But the first 2 were light and in the middle of the night. This one is a REAL rain that we can actually see. IT'S BEAUTIFUL !

andrea

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I was awakened this morning at 4AM by an odd sound outside of our bedroom window - was it raccoons on the roof? I listened for a while before I realized that it was the sound of rain on the roof - hadn't heard it in so long! 6 hours later, it is still raining steadily - I had to sort through the closet to find my umbrella to even go out to get the paper! The garden will be happy, at least. So far it shows no signs of stopping.

I am taking credit for this because 3 weeks ago I scheduled our window cleaner to come and wash all of our windows inside and out - tomorrow! I figured either I would get my windows cleaned (does anyone else have what I call "kittly nose marks" all over the bottom of the inside of their windows?), or it would rain, which would be better! Definitely a no lose proposition, and I am so glad it rained in response -

Jackie

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Still hasn't started yet here. Looking gloomy outside, but it's a welcome gloomy! We had a bit of rain earlier in the week, and we attributed it to my husband starting to prep and paint outside!! Thankfully he only did the primer a day or so before! That can definitely wait awhile. We need rain soooo badly! Saves me from having to water again. I'm so afraid we're going to be rationed.

• DrPekeMom
    10 years ago

Horray! (we down south of you got spat on, but that's it. )

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

This is great news! So glad you're all getting some rain finally. I hope it rains and rains and rains, lol!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Good for all you rain receivers. We had some rain in the form of ice chunks last week-almost flattened poor Fred Mistral. The smog is gone, but in a few days we'll have an Arctic blast. I just want this winter to be gone.
    Yes, Jackie, I'm very familiar with kitty nose prints. Probably have them everywhere right now. I try not to notice. We also have kitty cheek rubs on every corner in the house. Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I'm delighted that you finally have some rain in the more northern part of California because you need it so badly. I'm hoping for more here too so that the ground can get a good soaking.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I dunno where all you guys are, but we ain't gettin' any of it here! Bummer...

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth: where are you located?

• minflick
    10 years ago

We got it nicely here in the Santa Cruz mountains.

• bart_2010
    10 years ago

I LOVE RAIN!!!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

We're getting some significant snow tonight (for us--like one or two inches--that's major). We are in a drought, too. Let it pore all over the whole wide West. Diane

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Steve, I live in the lower Sierras in Paradise, about 90mi north of Sac and 20min east of Chico. We didn't get any of the rain at all. Just grey clouds that did nothing. This morning it's all sun-shiney and bright out. It's still kinda cold, but not like our norm for this time. I don't think we're gonna get much more winter weather this yr. I hope I'm wrong!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Beth, I think you may get some colder weather, starting around Thursday (I have my reasons), so I'll be checking come Thurs to see if that is happening. I hope this colder weather brings some rain/snow?
    My brain was cloudy late last night--"pore" should have read "pour" in my earlier post--and I pride myself on my speling, I mean spelling-ha. Diane

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth, get any rain yet?

We're getting 4 to 5 days now.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Enjoy your Pineapple Express No. CA

Grateful for any snow in the Sierra!

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Yippee!! Yes Steve, it's been raining since last evening! Finally!! Gets all sprinkly and then dumps, and back to light sprinkles again. I hate driving in it, but I cannot complain!! We need this sooo badly. It couldn't've come at a better time. Hopefully there will be a few inches of snow in the Sierras when it's all done. Heck, maybe more. They're saying it could rain and snow for several days and into next week. I hope so!!

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

The moisture flow this weekend is aimed right at Mendocino County. We may end up with 8 inches from this system and there are two more systems on the way. The only way I can water my garden in the summer is from our pond. I was afraid that it wouldn't fill this winter. Now I'm hopeful.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Pam, that's fabulous news. I can just imagine your relief and joy, and that also goes for everyone else who was drought-stricken a short time ago. Wouldn't mind a little more rain in my area; about half an inch doesn't seem like much compared to your amounts, but hopefully our turn down here will come soon.

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I'm so happy to hear you are all getting some much need rain! I hope it keeps coming (not to quickly though so no one floods) and you can all enjoy your beautiful gardens!

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Beth ...

We have had three days of steady drizzling rain. I am on the other side of the valley and north of you, so it should be coming your way. The good news is that we got snow at the higher elevations.

Yes, my garden is finally soaked. The fir trees and all the things I haven't watered are looking soooooo good.

I cannot believe I have been out several times this winter watering roses while wearing snow boots and multiple layers of clothing. Now, I get to take some time off from that and stay inside. Ahhhhh bliss.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Pam - that is fabulous news! I hope your pond gets 100% full.

Here it has been raining either very hard or just a steady real rain, not drizzle, for 48 hours without stopping and it is still continuing. Accd to the paper we've gotten over 4 inches since Friday as of yesterday, and the total when this stops may be as much as 6-7 inches from just this one storm! Yay! And there is another storm coming on Wed...

Jackie