Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramblinrosez7b

Snow, snow and more snow

ramblinrosez7b
14 years ago

We just got pounded with 2.5 ft of snow on Saturday and getting more tonite and tomorrow. My roses are buried, I can not even see some of them. Is it ok for the roses to have this much snow on them for such a long period of time like this? The first layer.... about the first foot of this snow is fluffy soft snow but the bottom layer is solid icey snow. All my pots have mounds of hard icy snow on them too. Should I worry?

About 1/3 of the top of this rose bush is sticking out of the snow.

{{gwi:229852}}

Comments (18)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Yeah, we got 15.5" inches this past Friday-Saturday and we are getting 12" inches more today and tomorrow.

{{gwi:229853}}

14 years ago

I'm also wondering the same thing as we have had snow (at least 6") laying on the ground 95% of this entire winter.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

Dang you guys thats a bunch of snow. I hope you all stay safe and warm. I hope all your roses do okay!! We rarely get enough snow to do anything with. We did get a couple inches a couple weeks ago but would love a little more. Take care, Judy

• kentstar
    14 years ago

If anything, all that snow will help insulate the roses and provide some needed moisture to the roots. It'll definitely help I would think. Lucky you! We got a ft of snow over the past weekend and due for another 6 to 8 tonight into tomorrow. I for one am happy about it for my plants sakes. They will love the snow cover!

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Here in the summer time when it is unseasonally warm..for here in the PNW 85-90 is miserable for us..they play winter and xmas carols on the radio. It's very fun. So lets do the reverse..find some oldies..The Beach boys, Jan and Dean, any songs that feel like the summer and blast away. It won't change anything but it might improve your mood

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

ramblinrosez don't worry. This 2.5 inches snow is nothing but an insulation for the rose plant. It will not effect the plant health in any way. I am sure you will get blooms back in the little warmer season

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

Thats 2.5 feet! That does not include today's blizzard which will add another foot and a half.

Not to worry. As Ken says above, snow cover is good for nearly all plants. It keeps the temperature around the plant at a constant near 32. It will then slowly melt to keep roots moist and ready to grow next month.

When I shovel my patio, I deliberately pile the snow in the rose bed.

• athenainwi
    14 years ago

As everyone else said, the roses will be fine. My roses look like that all winter. We only got 7" yesterday so we were just on the edge of the big storm. But now it's getting cold so the snow won't melt for a while.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

This is why I always put in a bit about waiting for the snow to melt before pruning once-bloomers for shape in the spring. Most of the snow will melt, but there will be a deceptively large mound at the bottom of the rose.

In keeping with the rest of this winter, we have so far received a grand total of maybe an inch and a half of snow this year. Supposedly it is on its way, and will arrive this afternoon. Hopefully. That brownish green stuff that was out there is pretty depressing.

• kentstar
    14 years ago

That's what I do Harryshoe. I shovel the walks and pile it on my already piled up beds. More wonderful snow! Good for my garden.

• roseman
    14 years ago

Your roses will survive. Snow is an insulator. Why all the snow? Well, guess what, it's winter, and some winters tend to be snowy, some snowier then others. I know it's all very inconvenient, but that's life. I recall the winters of my youth, before I got sense enough to move south. It's tough here too what with all the chilling temps, but come August when it's hotter then a two-dollar pistol, hopefully we'll remember the cold horrors of February.

• ramblinrosez7b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you folks for the encouraging words. Right now we are going through another blizzard.....and I mean blizzard! Winds are howling and snows a-flying......It is brutal outside! We are so forunate to still have our electric power working. Well I won't worry about the roses now because they are completely covered except for my 7 ft Neptune which I can just about see the top of. What a day this is, I hope I can find my car.

• judith5bmontreal
    14 years ago

The last time we had any measurable amount of snow was in mid-December (about a foot). Since then, pretty much just flurries now and then. We haven't had a winter this dry for a long time. WE'RE supposed to be the Great White North, but instead, you guys are getting walloped! You may have a few more broken canes in the spring, but, like everyone says, the snow will insulate and give much needed moisture to your soil. Hope you are all o.k....be careful not to overdue the shoveling. You wouldn't want to put your back out just before spring.

Judith

14 years ago

High winds, Blizzard conditions, and lots of snow here today also. We have about 28" now and it's still snowing. I combined the last snow we had this past Friday with todays snow.
    Glad to hear all this snow will not hurt the roses.
    I have not seen this much snow here for many years.
    {{gwi:229854}}

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I thought I would revive this thread to share in the fun! This is the snow we've gotten so far in NE Ohio. There is no where left to shovel it! lol

{{gwi:229855}}

{{gwi:229856}}

{{gwi:229857}}

{{gwi:229858}}

{{gwi:229860}}

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

LET'S GO SURFING NOW..EVERYBODY'S LEARNING HOW...

14 years ago

I hate to go to the potty in a blizzard!

{{gwi:229573}}

• lagomorphmom
    14 years ago

Well, GOOD PUPPY!!! For most of our kids, snow (and FREEZING temps) is for playing, NOT for potty. This is a HUGE dilemma - evidently the back deck is ok in a pinch for, er, "#1", but serious business is best conducted in the 'private' places that they are used to... Poor dears, can't say I blame 'em!!! ;-)