Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegirl_gw

update on cheapo roses

bluegirl_gw
11 years ago

My town DID get in some body-bags & peat-pot planted roses.

Lowes--very few so far, Some potted Knock-outs, Chrysler Imperial & maybe 2-3 others.

Home Depot--had Sombreuil, Souvenir del la Malmaison & some old HTs like Joseph's Coat. Picked up the 2 ogrs. They were in long body bags but the roots were no more than 6". Canes look very good & healthy--about 3 each, bit more than pencil-width. Distributed by Mea Nursey.

H.E.B.--Some old HTs--Bluegirl, John F. Kennedy, Queen Elizabeth, Tropicana, Double Delight, Angel Face. A few OGS marked as "Earthkind"--Duchesse de Brabant, Cl. Pinkie, Caldwell Pink, Belinda's Dream, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Spice, Mutabilis
Distributed by Lone Star Nursery.

I picked up a peat-pot DD, AF & Cl. Peace. Heavy canes, waxed, thick roots, healthy-looking tho. chopped (Dr Huey?). Picked up Mrs. Dudley. Looked at Pinkie & put it back. Came back & it was gone--it was a dang fine looking plant--must have had 20 good canes. The ogrs aren't waxed. The store puts out only 8-10 every few days & they change. First day had only 2-4 varieties, few days later Mrs. Dudley was out. Guess it's good marketing--keeps me checking.

Last year I planted a Spice & Duchesse from them--the plants sulked but are looking very well this spring. The ogrs are higher--$10 compared to $8 for the old HTs.

I've had fair results from the bargain roses when I pick them up as soon as they appear, give them a good soak before planting & plant them in a great, well-amended hole.

Don't know what WM has, I HATE to trade with them, have gotten lousy, mis-marked plants when I used to. Years back, I picked up 3 different Katherine T. Marshals from 3 different WMs as I was traveling early one spring, for a friend who loved that old HT. Not ONE was labelled correctly & all died. Cured me.

The locally owned nursery has several splendid Mutabilis in 10 gallon cans, no other roses. Last year they stocked good potted Knock-outs later on.

Have mixed feelings about buying these plants. I DO occasionally because: they are older plants hard to find at local nurseries (I suppose that may be cause & effect--nurseries don't find it worth stocking older plants when the big box stores offer them as body-bags at cost) & the plants are worth a shot because they are priced cheaper than bands & are considerably larger.

Anyway, that's my spring haul

Comments (5)

• ms. violet grey
    11 years ago

Happy bargain hunting!

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Home Depot here carries OGRs sometimes too. That's where I got my Rose de Rescht and Compte de Chambord from, and they're still doing really well :) Most of my other bodybags have failed, but the OGRs have done great!

Tammy

• postalwhiz
    11 years ago

I would love to get another Souvenir de la Malmaison rose - bought one a few years ago when I lived in MI but it only lasted 2 years. Now I am in N MS and feel they would grow here - anybody want to send me one I'll pay a reasonable price...

Kevin

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

Kevin, order your Souvenir de Malmaison from Chamblees Roses - $8.95 - they have lots of other OGRs too. I live 2 hours from them and can highly recommend them. You will get a quality plant for your money on its own roots. Check out their website.

My Souvenir is a gorgeous creature. I really fouled up last year and was spraying some invasive honeysuckle vines on a non-windy day - this particular spray, I found out much to my dismay, travels and gets on anything within 10 feet. The top of the plant withered, thought it was going to die, but it didnt....now it is coming back this spring as beautiful as ever - you will really enjoy this one! Mine is from Chamblees.....
    Judith

• merlcat
    11 years ago

If my HD has Cl. Sombreuil this year, I will be hard pressed to resist. That was the first rose I bought for the garden at this apartment in 2009. I bought it from J and P. It arrived in okay shape, already having broken dormancy though.

I planted it and it did not last the season. Maybe my fault, since I planted it in a tough spot. I should have potted it up first, in hindsight. Maybe they would have sent a replacement, I did not pursue it.

My bodybags bought from HD and Lowes from last year did not put on much top growth, so I am curious to see what happens this spring. They are alive, but many of the canes they came with died back over the growing season.

The potted rose I bought last year at a garden center did much better, as well as the one I bough the year before. Almost no dieback of the existing canes.

But, if cl. Sombreuil shows up at my HD, I'm sure I'll be bringing her home.