Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2edna

newbie questions

mom2edna
13 years ago

I have dabbled a bit in gardening in the past, but I'm really pretty clueless and this year I have become obsessed with gardening. It's beginning to show....I have one or two things that I am thrilled with and all the others are really trying my patience, lol.

1. what is meant by a standard plant? I have read on other websites to make sure I have a 'standard' ... but I can't seem to figure out what is meant by that phrase.

2. Is there a skill of some sort needed to grow passion flower? I have tried 3 times this year and NONE of them germinated. I bought a packet, nothing, bought another packet, still nothing. Determined to get atleast one, I bought a third and yet again, nothing. :( I believe that I am following the directions on the seed packet so I'm stumped as to why I can't get any of them to grow. That old saying about the definition of insanity is true... doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Passion flower is driving me insane.

Early this year I started what seemed like a gazillion seeds indoors. I have had quite a bit of success in atleast getting things to germinate, but not the passion flower. I started zinnia, african daisy, salvia, morning glory, painted daisy, cosmos, foxglove, petunia, sunflowers, columbine, and maybe some others that I can't remember. Most I have been able to get from the peat pods into my garden and they are still growing...though they are FAR from blooming. Most everything is 6" or less tall and just beginning to get true leaves.

3. When it warmed up, I started some things right in the garden, but only about half of those have sprouted...oddly enough it was the ones the dog decided to dig around in... go figure--seems his paw is greener than my thumb, lol.

4. I have a clematis vine that is gorgeous, I would like to find a way to share it with friends (and have it be true to the one I have). Is there a way to collect seeds from it? I have no idea what kind of clematis it is. the pictures should be thumbnails that you can click to make larger.

{{gwi:239540}}

{{gwi:239541}}

Thanks!

Rhonda

Comments (3)