Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrashawn

How do I sew Black eyed Susan vine seeds,please.

debrashawn
18 years ago

Can anyone teach me how to start these seeds. My first attempt was a failure. I have only a few seeds to try again with. I thought if they burst and landed on top of the soil, natures way that is, surface sewing might be a good guess. Well, no luck for me. I've searched for a while today and I'm thinking it may be common for this particular plant to produce few seed pods. Any and all input would be appreciated. Oh and what the actual name of this for future reference, please. Thanks. :) DebraShawn

Comments (8)

• realms
    18 years ago

hi debrashawn, i bought two already started b.e.s.v. plants from a garden centre last year. they looked beautiful, but unfortunately never produced seed. i loved the plant so much, i ordered some seeds from stokes seeds. i will give you the directions for outdoor sowing from the packet. i started mine indoors about 6 weeks ago and they are still quite small but i am keeping my fingers crossed.
    the (latin)? name for this plant is: thunbergia alta (that is what is on the packet). the directions say that you should sow indoors apr.1st as plants are rather slow to grow and need lots of heat for germination so outdoor sowing should not be attempted till mid june.at this late date, you may not see much of a show until august. plant 1/4 inch deep and about 3inches apart. i really don't know if this will be much help to you, but it is certainly worth a try b/c they are such a beautiful plant. where did you get the seeds? did they not come with directions? i am sorry for my blabbing on and on! good luck! lisa

• debrashawn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa and thanks! The seeds came from last years plant. I just like to see what is possible. I enjoyed the plant last year and I am so silly I wont waste one seed. I have only one pod left! I'll give it another go. This time inside and I'll attempt to do it now to get a tiny headstart then, because I am apparently quite late! This is fun! Thanks again! :)

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

The Thompson & Morgan database said they should germinate somewhere around 14-21 days (although it can be slow & erratic). Just cover with soil, keep at 70-75F, keeping the peat-based soil slightly moist (not waterlogged nor too dry).

Sue

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

We had a plant we got from a nursery last year.We just cut it back after it died and this year it came up real well and with some new babies.It's starting to put out blooms now.
    Kathi

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

I did not think mine made many seed last year. I gathered some but not many. It must have made lots more than I found as I now have them coming up in all the potted plants I had sitting nearby as well as the ground where the original vine was planted. Some are blooming already and are only about 3 inches tall.

Patsy

• gardenwitch
    17 years ago

How do I gather and riped seed for next season planting?

• debrashawn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm no pro, but I just waited for the pods to ripen right on the vine...hopefully someone else with more knowledge will answer you as well...good luck...

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Once the blooms fade, watch where it is attached to the vine. It will turn brown. That is when you pick it. Do not squeeze the pod because the seeds will shoot out. I think mine had 2 seeds in each dried flower. I pick the pods and throw them in a regular envelope and label it. I store them in my cool workshop and seperate the seed from the pod later in the season when I get time.

Lee